Chicago Bike Commute Pictures

Old January 30th 04, 04:02 AM
Mike Kruger

Default Chicago Bike Commute Pictures

I've posted a set of pictures taken on my bicycle commute from Glenview to
Chicago at my home page:

http://hometown.aol.com/mikekr/myhomepage/index.htm
or you can get there directly via:
http://hometown.aol.com/mikekr/myhom...mute_part1.htm

There's also some links to others who've posted similar essays, in
particular one by Gary Smiley which was the original inspiration for doing
this.

--
Mike Kruger
Here at Bank1, you're not just a number - you're

Old January 30th 04, 05:36 AM
David Reuteler

Tom Keats wrote:
: I can almost smell the chocolate from here. And I'd
: like to try a Superdawg some day.

i wanna goto the vegan korean restaurant!
--
david reuteler

Old January 30th 04, 05:37 AM
Tom Keats

In article m,
"Mike Kruger" writes:
I've posted a set of pictures taken on my bicycle commute from Glenview to
Chicago at my home page:

http://hometown.aol.com/mikekr/myhomepage/index.htm
or you can get there directly via:
http://hometown.aol.com/mikekr/myhom...mute_part1.htm

There's also some links to others who've posted similar essays, in
particular one by Gary Smiley which was the original inspiration for doing
this.

Cool! Thank you for that pleasantness.

I can almost smell the chocolate from here. And I'd
like to try a Superdawg some day.

That European Buckthorn stuff sounds dreadful. Is it as
perniciously omnipresent as bindweed (aka morning glory)?

Ahhh, blue skies & Saturdays.

cheers, & much appreciation,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old January 30th 04, 09:17 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
David Reuteler writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
: I can almost smell the chocolate from here. And I'd
: like to try a Superdawg some day.

i wanna goto the vegan korean restaurant!

That sounds good, too. I'm game to try at least one
of everything. I think I'd forego the military
haircut, myself, though.

It was a dark and stormy night while I was looking at
Mike's pix. It was sure nice to see what clear skies
look like again.

cheers,
Tom

Old January 31st 04, 01:34 AM
Mike Kruger

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article m,

That European Buckthorn stuff sounds dreadful. Is it as
perniciously omnipresent as bindweed (aka morning glory)?

I'm lucky to have a bountiful supply of both in my yard. Around here,
buckthorn is more of a menace, but it seems to be uncommon outside the
Chicage area.

I could use some bindweed hints, though, if you have any.

Old January 31st 04, 02:38 AM
Tom Keats

In article m,
"Mike Kruger" writes:

I could use some bindweed hints, though, if you have any.

So could I, and I've lucklessly looked all over for some.
I guess we all have to resort to the old dig-'em-up method.
I think those roots go down to the earth's mantle. If only
there was some sort of otherwise-benign, organic, biological
phage-like means to take care of them -- like nemotodes or
something, with an exclusive taste for bindweed.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed your pix.

cheers,
Tom

Old February 2nd 04, 04:14 AM
Doug Purdy

"Mike Kruger" wrote in message
s.com...
I've posted a set of pictures taken on my bicycle commute from

Glenview to
Chicago at my home page:

http://hometown.aol.com/mikekr/myhomepage/index.htm

Nice pics Mike. At 18.5 miles I guess that's the scenic route and some
of it certainly seems like it.

It's also nice to have the option of just pedalling your legs off for
part of a commute. Do the stop lights on Elston allow that or are they
all random "sync" like on my routes? While some major streets allow me
to get a good pedal, some residential streets are even better, partly
because at a stop sign I don't have to hang around like at a light.

Beware the cheap haircut place. I tried some for a long time but finally
gave up on them after 2 bad experiences. First an Asian guy whose
English I couldn't understand finished the cut and then took out his
razor to trim the edges. He pointed at my beard and sideburns and
jabbered a question. After several attempts to understand I just smiled
and noded, whereupon he shaved a 1 inch gap between my sideburns and my
beard. Good thing I usually wear my beard very short. It almost looked
ok by Monday.

I'm convinced the second guy was an Al Queda (sp?) sleeper. He attached
a big funnel-like nose to his clippers and holding the clippers by the
electrical cord, cut my hair by wildly swinging the clippers back and
forth. Never again!

Doug
For email, a sense of wonder.

Old February 2nd 04, 05:58 PM
Claire Petersky

I am in the process of putting my pictures (currently as a set of yahoo
photos) into a set of free geocities webpage. When I'm done, I'll post the
address at the newsgroup.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
My bookshelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Cpetersky

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

Old February 2nd 04, 09:45 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:58:22 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

I am in the process of putting my pictures (currently as a set of yahoo
photos) into a set of free geocities webpage. When I'm done, I'll post the
address at the newsgroup.

Not to self: check popup blocker is working ;-)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old February 6th 04, 04:55 AM
Mike Kruger

"Doug Purdy" wrote in message
news
"Mike Kruger" wrote in message
I've posted a set of pictures taken on my bicycle commute from

http://hometown.aol.com/mikekr/myhomepage/index.htm

Nice pics Mike. At 18.5 miles I guess that's the scenic route and some
of it certainly seems like it.

It's also nice to have the option of just pedalling your legs off for
part of a commute. Do the stop lights on Elston allow that or are they
all random "sync" like on my routes? While some major streets allow me
to get a good pedal, some residential streets are even better, partly
because at a stop sign I don't have to hang around like at a light.

Alas, Elston is no place to just pedal your legs off.
The stop lights are random and I prefer to take the street at normal speed
to pay lots of attention to the side street traffic; there are a lot of
6-corner intersections where there are lots of directions things can be
coming at you.

--
Mike Kruger
"Does this timeline need to be in any particular order?"

Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 03:00 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
I commute to work on my bike - no problem Luigi de Guzman General 3 September 28th 03 04:11 AM