front derailleur shim

Old July 22nd 03, 07:34 PM
Robert Strickland

Default front derailleur shim

I've got a Daytona triple front derailleur with a 31.8 mm clamp but my frame
has a 28.6 mm seat tube. Somebody a while back pointed me to
www.bigwheel.com to buy a shim but I was just notified that they are
currently out of stock. I'm located in Germany and haven't found any other
source for a shim, nor for a Campy derailleur with the appropriate clamp. My
next option seems to be to make a shim but I'm not real sure what the best
way to go about it would be. What kind of material should I be looking for
and in what thickness? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Rob Strickland

Old July 22nd 03, 08:06 PM
Ronald

You could also get one of these:
http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main....spr_id=1&mid=0

Sorry that link doesn't work, type 562083 in the searchbox and you'll be directed to the correct item.

"Ronald" wrote in message ...
You could also get one of these:
http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main....spr_id=1&mid=0

It's a separate clamp (28.6) onto which you can mount any standard braze-on front derailleur.
They're also available in other clamp diameters so when you switch frames you can get another clamp or just mount the braze-on
derailleur when it's a braze-on frame.

If you're not sure order their (Roseversand) catalog, it's free and has an image of the clamp in it.

Old July 22nd 03, 08:13 PM
Robert Strickland

You could also get one of these:
http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main....spr_id=1&mid=0

It's a separate clamp (28.6) onto which you can mount any standard

braze-on front derailleur.
They're also available in other clamp diameters so when you switch

frames you can get another clamp or just mount the braze-on
derailleur when it's a braze-on frame.

If you're not sure order their (Roseversand) catalog, it's free and has

an image of the clamp in it.

Thanks Ronald. I'm aware of Roseversand and the clamp you mentioned. That
route would, however, require the purchase of another derailleur and I'd
like to try to make use of the one I've got if possible. Thanks for the help
though.

Rob

Old July 22nd 03, 08:20 PM
Paul Kopit

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:34:59 +0200, "Robert Strickland"
wrote:

I've got a Daytona triple front derailleur with a 31.8 mm clamp but my frame
has a 28.6 mm seat tube. Somebody a while back pointed me to
www.bigwheel.com to buy a shim but I was just notified that they are
currently out of stock. I'm located in Germany and haven't found any other
source for a shim, nor for a Campy derailleur with the appropriate clamp. My
next option seems to be to make a shim but I'm not real sure what the best
way to go about it would be. What kind of material should I be looking for
and in what thickness? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Cut a strip of aluminum can and wrap as many times around seatube so
that the 31.8 clamp is tight.

You can actually just buy the clamp part for the derailleur and get a
28.6 one. You need only remove a "C" clip and the clamp comes off.
Old July 23rd 03, 02:23 AM
A Muzi

"Robert Strickland" wrote in message
I've got a Daytona triple front derailleur with a 31.8 mm clamp but my

frame
has a 28.6 mm seat tube. Somebody a while back pointed me to
www.bigwheel.com to buy a shim but I was just notified that they are
currently out of stock. I'm located in Germany and haven't found any other
source for a shim, nor for a Campy derailleur with the appropriate clamp.

My
next option seems to be to make a shim but I'm not real sure what the best
way to go about it would be. What kind of material should I be looking for
and in what thickness? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

A section of a nylon or delrin tube is perfect. It need not be metal to work
well. A long strip of mylar wrapped until the right diameter ( as with some
seatposts) would probably work ,too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old July 23rd 03, 03:12 AM
Lewis Campbell

Hi, Rob, you could cut a soda pop can into strips, with a pair of
scissors and wrap that around your downtube.

You need to add about 1/8" (3.2mm) to the diameter, or 1/16" (1.6mm)
of thickness.

Lewis.

****************************

Old July 23rd 03, 01:47 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

robert- I've got a Daytona triple front derailleur with a 31.8 mm clamp but
my frame
has a 28.6 mm seat tube. Somebody a while back pointed me to
www.bigwheel.com to buy a shim but I was just notified that they are
currently out of stock. I'm located in Germany and haven't found any other
source for a shim, nor for a Campy derailleur with the appropriate clamp.
BRBR

Go to a LBS that 'qui si parla Campagnolo', or the equivalent in German and ask
if they will swap the clamp...easy to do.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 23rd 03, 01:49 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Paul- You can actually just buy the clamp part for the derailleur and get a
28.6 one. You need only remove a "C" clip and the clamp comes off.
BRBR

Yep but it is almost as expensive a front der...

Poor idea for Campagnolo to stop making 28.6mm triple front ders, IMO-

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302