Ride on into the sunset

Old February 10th 04, 01:25 AM
Andy Simpson

Default Ride on into the sunset

Last Friday, at about 7pm, I'm riding home from work in Sydney. Riding
through Crows Nest the T3 lane I usually ride in is parked out with
restaurant goers, so I'm in the middle lane (of three) on Pacific Highway. I
move out right into the middle of the lane to avoid a hole and get honked.
Behind me is a bronze sedan with 3 or 4 young blokes in it. They start
shouting at me, the usual mindless abuse. I ignore them, knowing that the
traffic will grind to a halt at the bottom of the hill (by St Leonards
station).

In my mind I'm tossing up whether its worth waiting in the stationary
traffic to engage them in debate, but the inside lane is now clear of parked
cars, so I switch back to it and pass all the stationary traffic. Riding
past the bus stops (towards Greenwich Road lights) the sun is right in my
eyes. Traffic in the outer lanes starts moving past me and I'm anticipating
the yobs coming past and delivering more abuse. Staring really hard into the
glare, I can see a 4WD parked in my lane, so I look over my shoulder, see a
gap in the middle lane traffic and pull out into it, riding round the parked
vehicle. As I'm pulling out, I catch sight of the bronze sedan just behind
me, in the lane I'm leaving - it must have followed me down the inside.

I ride about 20 metres past the 4WD and hear this kerthumptinkle. I look
back and the bronze sedan has driven right into the back of the parked 4WD.
I think that the driver of the sedan had been so intent on following me down
the inside lane, that he hadn't spotted the parked car through the glare.

That's all.

Andy

Old February 10th 04, 05:14 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
"Andy Simpson" m
wrote:

They start shouting at me, the usual mindless abuse.

On Sunday, three of us were riding in the hills outside Melbourne, and at one stage were riding down a reasonably busy road. It wasn't particularly steep, but we were trying to keep up a reasonable speed because there was oncoming traffic, and I was aware of at least one car behind me. We came to a roundabout and I turned left and pulled off the road (my co-riders went the wrong way...), and I was aware of a slow-moving ute behind. As it pulled past I saw a head moving to the open passenger window, and I prepared for the usual barrage. All I saw was a huge smile, accompanied by a loud but appreciative cry of: "Christ, you were going fast!" I think I found a fan...

--
Shane Stanley
Old February 10th 04, 05:53 AM
hippy

"Shane Stanley" wrote in message
All I saw was a huge smile, accompanied by a loud
but appreciative cry of: "Christ, you were going fast!"
I think I found a fan...

hehe I've had that happen... a couple on a motorbike,
going into Ringwood and I was powering down the
short hill. Next set of lights they rolled up next to me
and with a big grin, one of them asked "hey mate, how
fast were you just goin'!?".
Ahh, leg power.. what a fantastic invention...

hippy

Old February 10th 04, 07:24 AM
Bernie

hippy wrote:

"Shane Stanley" wrote in message

All I saw was a huge smile, accompanied by a loud
but appreciative cry of: "Christ, you were going fast!"
I think I found a fan...

hehe I've had that happen... a couple on a motorbike,
going into Ringwood and I was powering down the
short hill. Next set of lights they rolled up next to me
and with a big grin, one of them asked "hey mate, how
fast were you just goin'!?".
Ahh, leg power.. what a fantastic invention...

hippy

Put a price on joy! :-)

Old February 10th 04, 08:19 AM
Zoot Katz

Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:25:11 +1100,
, "Andy Simpson"
m wrote:

I ride about 20 metres past the 4WD and hear this kerthumptinkle. I look
back and the bronze sedan has driven right into the back of the parked 4WD.
I think that the driver of the sedan had been so intent on following me down
the inside lane, that he hadn't spotted the parked car through the glare.

That's all.

Andy

I love it!
--
zk
Old February 10th 04, 09:43 AM
K&C Russell

"Andy Simpson" m wrote in
message ...
[...]

Great stuff! But you realise if you pay a registration fee you are entitled
to drive like dickhead. Here's proof.

I guess etiquette would say we should not chuckle at them. You probably
should have gone back abd enquired as to how they were feeling.

Kevin

Old February 10th 04, 10:03 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
"hippy" wrote:

Ahh, leg power.. what a fantastic invention...

Ahh, hill power.. an even better invention... ;-)

--

Shane Stanley