Mayors from Omaha, Cincinnati, Des Moines to receive NBG RIders

Old July 16th 04, 11:03 PM
Cycle America

Default Mayors from Omaha, Cincinnati, Des Moines to receive NBG RIders

- Dressed like Mr Clean in his white SPF 30 sun suit, Don Loomis, after
having luxuriated across much of Nebraska on the wide shoulder of US 30
(an example of how US highways can be retrofitted to meet the spec we
foresee for an interconnected two wheel America), will meet Mike Fahey,
the Mayor of Omaha on Monday July 19. The home of the college baseball
World Series, the Omaha people are excited to greet Don.

- In Omaha, Don will be joined by Robert Craddick, who has paved a red
carpet for their ride down to Des Moines 156 miles away. Robert, a two
wheel shaker and mover from the Iowa Capital City, has Don staying in
beautiful B&B's (the Hotel Pattee and the Butler House and Cottage have
each comped Don a room night) and even has Des Moines Mayor Frank Cownie
biking Don in from the city limits to CIty Hall. There a barbecue also
awaits as Robert even got Lewright's Meat & Deli to donate 80 Brats, a
hot dog like delicacy, for the barbecue he has organized for the park
across the street.

And it doesn't end there, since RAGBRAI, the week long Iowa perimeter
ride that attracts thousands begins this weekend, Robert has been able
to team up with Lorna Davros, the Mayor's scheduler, to make Don's
arrival the unofficial start of RAGBRAI week. Toward that end, after the
City Hall reception, Don and the Mayor will lead a representative group
of Iowa cyclists to a ground breaking for the Riverwalk, a proposed
trailhead center that will feature gardens and shops and eateries near
the confluence of the Des Moines and Raccoon Rivers. In time, this
important location will connect to bike trail networks to and from the
north and south ends of the city.

- On the same day, in Cincinnati, Mayor Charlie Luken, will receive NBG
riders coming in from Columbus. Besides Steve Shaw, the former Mayor and
personal friend of Luken's, who helped us to get the Cincinnati
reception together, Victor Grinshtein and Marshall Lafferty will have
rowed their way to City Hall! On Rowbikes. Attention getting machines,
these are bikes you sit on like your sitting in a canoe and move forward
as you you use your arms and legs to simulate a rowing motion! And to
top it off Marshall's bike even has oversized training wheels and is
towing a trailer as per:
http://www.BikeRoute.com/BentImagesF...ike6Wheels.jpg

Meltdown in Columbus

Well David H-D made it to Columbus after all as he describes in his well
written report below. But not only was he late, but so was our ride
leader, and RAAM veteran, Jeff Stephens, who was careful to gently
shepherd David into town after his night of riding. And the 196 miles
that David rode is some pretty tough stuff having made that connection
myself 18 years ago in full daylight. While David's bad luck compromised
our reception, it does show how many more hurdles we as cyclists have to
overcome to get any where.

When for example was the last time you heard a car driver talk about the
fact that the wind or wall like hills had slowed them down? Or that they
had to slow their pace because they were hungry (they drive faster to
get to food)? Or that their tire kept going flat on them? I mean those
of us out for the long haul face these concerns along with oftentimes
the poor infrastructure we are trying to improve on a regular basis.
Indeed we are a vulnerable lot as David's ride shows.

Now we've got to see if our Rowbikers, Marshall & Victor, were able to
make anything of the question mark Columbus NBG Day had become......

THX for your gallant effort David. THX fir your great attitude Jeff.
Thank you Columbus city officials for your understanding. And to
Marshall, Victor and Steve, indeed let's make lemonade out of this lemon
of an unfortunate ride!!

David's report:
http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.c....cgi?IncludeBl
ogs=2&search=Meltdown+in+Columbus

Our Vision Statement: http://www.BikeRoute.com/nbghow.html
Rowbike Web: http://Rowbike.com

To see the NBG bios for all of our riders, go to:
http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.c...yors_Ride/bios
Old July 17th 04, 03:14 AM
Ken Pisichko

Can anyone tell me more about this "sun suit"? I am also interedsted in
availability - just in the USA or in Australia and Canada as well?

Thanks for any information.

Ken