A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Chains



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old April 28th 18, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
incredulous
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 92
Default Chains

OP has asked reasonable question about chain differences. ‘Data’ could include playing, corrosion resistance, tolerances, expected durability, weight, etc.
Lighter weight, for cyclists, would be an obvious feature. An after-market chain I bought made exactly that claim, and the plates were indeed carved out.

De MostiX
PDX
Ads
  #12  
Old April 28th 18, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 272
Default Chains

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 9:22:33 AM UTC+2, incredulous wrote:
OP has asked reasonable question about chain differences. ‘Data’ could include playing, corrosion resistance, tolerances, expected durability, weight, etc.
Lighter weight, for cyclists, would be an obvious feature. An after-market chain I bought made exactly that claim, and the plates were indeed carved out.

De MostiX
PDX


True but on the other hand why ask this question because except for differences everybody can see (plating, punched holes, hollow pins) all other properties are a black box for most of us (hardness, tolerances durability). Especially for dirt cheap 9 speed chain even the price difference of the'expensive'ones doesn't justify more than a minute of thought IMO. My advice, if cost is an issue for somebody, buy the cheapest one. If the life time is short than you got what you paid for, if is the same as for the more expensive one than you are lucky. You cant loose.'

Lou, to much time spent on chains and lubing chains.
  #13  
Old April 28th 18, 11:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,015
Default Chains

John B. wrote:

I Don't understand why you keep asking for
information that is unnecessary.


If it isn't on the box, either there is no
difference, or the manufacturer has made a poor
job. Only that doesn't sound like Shimano given
what we know how they are with documenting
their products!

One way of finding out if it is stated on the
box, is to write down *everything* and
then compare.

If this doesn't reveal the difference, the next
step would be to get both chains, open the
boxes, and compare them visually as well as
with tools.

If one can find a difference, one can write to
Shimano an tell them to put it on the box.
If one cannot find it, one can write and ask.
If they can't find it either, one can say they
should put on the boxes that the chain is
functionally identical to another model - or
better yet, drop the two distinctions
altogether and merge the products into one.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
  #14  
Old April 29th 18, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,967
Default Chains

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 12:53:12 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

I Don't understand why you keep asking for
information that is unnecessary.


If it isn't on the box, either there is no
difference, or the manufacturer has made a poor
job. Only that doesn't sound like Shimano given
what we know how they are with documenting
their products!

One way of finding out if it is stated on the
box, is to write down *everything* and
then compare.

If this doesn't reveal the difference, the next
step would be to get both chains, open the
boxes, and compare them visually as well as
with tools.

If one can find a difference, one can write to
Shimano an tell them to put it on the box.
If one cannot find it, one can write and ask.
If they can't find it either, one can say they
should put on the boxes that the chain is
functionally identical to another model - or
better yet, drop the two distinctions
altogether and merge the products into one.



You seem to be missing the crux of the problem. Shimano has been in
business since 1921 and has never sold me, at least, anything that
didn't fit or didn't work. Why now, after of 97 years should I write
Shimano to demand that they print more data on the box that the chain
comes in?

Who cares. I wanted a 9 speed chain, they sold me a 9 speed chain, and
the 9 speed chain works on a 9 speed bicycle. What more could anyone
ever want?.
--
Cheers,

John B.

  #15  
Old April 29th 18, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,271
Default Chains

On 4/28/2018 9:34 PM, John B. wrote:
Shimano has been in
business since 1921 and has never sold me, at least, anything that
didn't fit or didn't work.


They sold me an aerodynamic water bottle back in the 1980s. I was deeply
disappointed. It didn't seem to make me any faster at all.

Not that I've lost much sleep over that...


--
- Frank Krygowski
  #16  
Old April 29th 18, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,967
Default Chains

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 23:13:10 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/28/2018 9:34 PM, John B. wrote:
Shimano has been in
business since 1921 and has never sold me, at least, anything that
didn't fit or didn't work.


They sold me an aerodynamic water bottle back in the 1980s. I was deeply
disappointed. It didn't seem to make me any faster at all.

Not that I've lost much sleep over that...



That's the trouble with all these go-fast attachments. You buy them
and install them and goodness, you don't go any faster. And of
course... it's their fault.

--
Cheers,

John B.

  #17  
Old April 29th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,723
Default Chains

On 4/28/2018 10:13 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/28/2018 9:34 PM, John B. wrote:
Shimano has been in
business since 1921 and has never sold me, at least,
anything that
didn't fit or didn't work.


They sold me an aerodynamic water bottle back in the 1980s.
I was deeply disappointed. It didn't seem to make me any
faster at all.

Not that I've lost much sleep over that...



You're not doing it right:


http://www.chutingstar.com/media/cat...o/gofast_4.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Chains Ken[_2_] Australia 6 May 4th 07 02:48 AM
chains Dan Gregory Racing 0 April 1st 07 02:49 PM
chains.... again..... Keyser Sose UK 3 October 10th 06 01:29 AM
chains Thrasher Remailer Techniques 2 May 18th 05 04:11 PM
New Chains David Nutter UK 2 September 10th 03 10:17 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.