So how was your Ride To Work Day?

Old October 7th 04, 12:51 AM
hippy

Default So how was your Ride To Work Day?

"cfsmtb" wrote
Yes, share your story of the 2004 edition of RTWD, did you,

Ride To Work Day..

I caught the train.

"What?!", I can hear you thinking, "A cycle nut like you
caught the train on RTWD?!"
Yes. I was trying to get 'The Tank' ready for bike polo
last night and ran out of time to ride in. I didn't even have
time to scam free food! Horror of horrors!
I guess I did ride to and from the stations - does that count?

Bike polo was fun. I wasn't going to play because I only
had the overgeared GT SS, no mallet of my own and I was
clipped in. It turns out Dave S had a spare mallet and I only
came close to toppling over a couple of times (it was on
grass - nothing to worry about). The game was played near
Melbourne Storm's training ground on the corner of Punt
and Swan. There was 6 of us and we played a few rounds
in the space of an hour or so. I think most of the guys went
to the Corner for beer but I had someone cooking dinner
for me so I couldn't pass that up. After dinner I rode home
so I guess for me it was Ride From Work Day...

hippy
- I saw the plume of smoke from that fire.. apparently
it was Rove's studio?

Old October 7th 04, 01:16 AM
xisle

- Rode to work regardless of it being an advertised BV event
- Saw more commuters than usual
- Veterans Park for free pancake and an orange quarter at 8
- sat around soaking up some bike atmosphere
- tried in vain to casually mingle while keeping an eye on my bike
- headed to work at about 8:3

--
xisle

Old October 7th 04, 02:47 AM
Marx SS

My RTWD was a day off from work so I was sleeping in & taking it easy.
Best weather for riding yesterday was. Saw heaps of pushies around i
my wanderings to the local bakery for a morning loaf. Even caught on
dude lifting his bike out the back of his car to cycle the balance o
his commute (I live 5kms from the CBD).

Like the Melb Bike ride, I caught some fair weather cycle commute
cutting through the red lights with oncoming traffic – don’t know wher
they get there ‘cloak of indestructability” from. Cars beeped, I winced

Sure I got a ride in, at a more civialised hour though, the bike path
were my own, traffic on the streets are relitively low @ 11am of
Wednesday too… pass the sunscreen.

--
Marx SS

Old October 7th 04, 07:27 AM
fred_nieman

cfsmtb wrote:
Yes, share your story of the 2004 edition of RTWD, did you,

- Ride to work because it was an advertised BV event,

Ride to work day = love it. But no. Heard about it from a BV member
work buddy. 'Cept I drive my car to and from work maybe 1 or 2 days a
fortnight.

- Rode to work regardless of it being an advertised BV event,

See above.

- Got a bunch ride going via work/social contacts,

Lots of like-minded folks ridin' down Sydney Road and Royal Parade
Brunswick - City, on bikes from Hillmans to Huffys. Sense of shared
interest: a smile and a "hello" back and forth, but especially to the
folks that I see on days *other* than RTWD.
Ride back home was not on my own for once! Small bunches were riding
against the "traffic" on the bike paths/lanes Oakleigh to Brunswick in
the pm. More smiles and a "hellos" back and forth. Why can't it be
like this every working day?

- Popped down to F(r)ed Square for free munchies & entertainment,

Umm, it sounded good, but I would have had to (yawn!) get up at 6:30 am
to catch the fun before I had to catch a train to the sticks where I
currently work...

- Wanted to ride in but stuff got in the way or used the car/caught

Managed to get out of bed, and no rain-spots on my room's window, so go
the bike to work...

PT.
- Something else, please tell….

It's spring, but today not a single magpie swoop (ie: that flesh and
feathers k'thwack against the right-back of your helmet) all along the
Gardiners Creek trail from Chadstone to Heyington, and the Yarra trail
from Burnley to Rushall Station. Thank you, magpies! (they must have
known it was RTWD... or something...)

xxx
Old October 7th 04, 09:14 AM
richie

In these imminent head on situations I have learnt from experience to as
early as possible stick an arm out showing which direction I am going in
(whilst shouting same)... it helps the odds a bit as opposed to second
guessing a rider who is second guessing you at the same time.

richie

"theGoat" wrote in message

cfsmtb Wrote:
Yes, share your story of the 2004 edition of RTWD, did you,

- Ride to work because it was an advertised BV event,
- Rode to work regardless of it being an advertised BV event,
- Got a bunch ride going via work/social contacts,
- Popped down to F(r)ed Square for free munchies & entertainment,
- Wanted to ride in but stuff got in the way or used the car/caught
PT.
- Something else, please tell..

Ours started off with a trip down to Richmond Town Hall where Yarra
Council put on a Cyclists Brekkie & Brunswick Street Cycles had a stall
& work stand for minor repairs.

Partook in the usual social pleasantries by chatting away to local
cyclists, council staff et al and did a well received presentation of
the Wonders of a AirZound2 (under the portico of the town hall, good
acoustics!) Later cycled off to F(r)ed Square for a quick visit & chat
and then re-commenced ride to work.

Decided to take a short cut through Queen Vic Market, hit a tricky bit
of bluestone, tried to dab, but forgot one was clipped in. Duly fell
over & dented right knee. Ouch. Got to office, parked bike & started
work as pod dweller.

Afternoon, happily reunited with bike, riding home up Queensberry,
notice big plume of smoke up ahead. Get off bike, call partner, WTF? Is
that near home? Yes, start riding home real fast; get to intersection of
Hoddle, fook, that's really CLOSE. (Damn, freewheel is stuffing up
again, too tight after taking out spacer. Note, must go to LBS this
weekend.) Get closer, phew, factory on corner of Mollison & Nicholson.
Pedal along for a closer look, just like all the other residents
milling around. Hmm, spectacular. Get home, pat the cats & cuddle dawg.
So, was your day as exciting as this?

Great ride in to work in the city in the morning.

**** ride home.

On the bike path along Yarra Blvd, crossing the rickety wooden slat
bridge rather than using the concrete footpath. Get to the end of the
brigde an see another cyclist coming straight at me on the wrong side
of the path. He goes to his right (toward concrete path), then realises
he should be passing me on the other side so goes back to his left. Me
seeing him going right tries to pass to his right and we collide head
on, with me doing a Superman impersonation and landing on my chin. Fun.

--
theGoat

Old October 7th 04, 12:20 PM
DRS

"fred_nieman" wrote in message

[..]

PS can you please fix your clock.

All the clocks here in Casa_Nieman are set 5 minutes fast, so we get
to work maybe only 10 minutes late. Umm, do you mean the poot clock?

You've been asked by at least three people now to fix your computer clock.
Both the date and time are completely wrong. The date is a day ahead (today
is the 7th, not the 8th) and the time is just a random number. The problem
is this wrong information is included in your posts' headers.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 7th 04, 02:25 PM
DRS

DRS wrote:

You've been asked by at least three people now to fix your computer
clock. Both the date and time are completely wrong. The date is a
day ahead (today is the 7th, not the 8th) and the time is just a
random number. The problem is this wrong information is included in
your posts' headers.

[...]

The WinXP shell clock Is only 5 minutes fast - no problem there.

No, it isn't. Your post's header show the time as 3:50PM, which is not even
close, given you're replying to a post I made at 9:20PM.

But if the OS timestamp on my posts is very wrong, well, I'll do my
best to fix it. Problem is, if I F2 or F5 or whatever on startup to
get
into the boot-menu-y thingumy whatsit, I won't have much of an idea
what I'll be doing... like someone with only a very little clue at
their LBS...

You don't need to get into the BIOS to fix the clock. You can do it from XP
(just double-click on the clock in the system tray). Or you can download a
utility like WorldTime (http://www.pawprint.net/wt/; get v5 because v6 is
prerelease and not so stable) which will autosynch your computer's clock
with any of the net's NTP servers.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 7th 04, 10:53 PM
Malcolm Butler

"DRS" writes:

No, it isn't. Your post's header show the time as 3:50PM, which is not even
close, given you're replying to a post I made at 9:20PM.

The headers in Fred Nieman's post show:

From: fred_nieman
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:50:14 -0700

In DRS's post:

From: "DRS"
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 21:20:36 +1000

It looks to me like Fred's timezone setting is wrong.

22:50 in GMT-07 is 3:50PM the following day in this timezone (GMT+10),
which I assume is what DRS's newsreader is showing him.

This still puts it half an hour before the post it followed up,
though. Maybe Fred's computer thinks it has daylight saving as well.

Malcolm
Old October 8th 04, 05:12 AM
fred_nieman

aeek wrote:

fred_nieman Wrote:

It's spring, but today not a single magpie swoop

Maybe they were exhausted from all the extra cyclists before you.

Yep, it was good that way :-) . Kind of like when you're bushwalking at
the back of a group, and all the leeches are busy attaching theimselves
with the folks in front of you...

PS can you please fix your clock.

All the clocks here in Casa_Nieman are set 5 minutes fast, so we get to
work maybe only 10 minutes late. Umm, do you mean the poot clock? I
think I reset it back 12 hours or something one time because of... umm,
some reason I can't remember now. Let's just pretend it's on Tasmanian
Daylight Saving time (cfsmtb, you out there?)...
wft [sic]? You mean it's not 1987 anymore?
(Or something)
x p
Old October 8th 04, 06:50 AM
fred_nieman

DRS wrote:

You've been asked by at least three people now to fix your computer clock.
Both the date and time are completely wrong. The date is a day ahead (today
is the 7th, not the 8th) and the time is just a random number. The problem
is this wrong information is included in your posts' headers.

Peace, DRS, peace.
Truce, ok?

I am a frequent reader of, and occasional contributer to, aus.bicycle.
Most of my infrequent posts are silly stuff, laughs mostly against SUV
drivers and/or myself.

Every now and then, tho, I send in a sensible post, based on my many
years of experience as a 5 day a week cycle commuter to work since even
before I became an adult.

aus.bicycle is an ng posted to by a very broad range of people, from top
level road and MTB folks, to people who are wondering if they should buy
a Huffy at K-Mart. (I'm somewhere in the middle.)

The WinXP shell clock Is only 5 minutes fast - no problem there.
But if the OS timestamp on my posts is very wrong, well, I'll do my best
to fix it. Problem is, if I F2 or F5 or whatever on startup to get
into the boot-menu-y thingumy whatsit, I won't have much of an idea what
I'll be doing... like someone with only a very little clue at their LBS...

x p

ps: the timestamp on this post will be wrong - of course ;-)