A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

more cycling in England



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 13th 18, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,839
Default more cycling in England

Cocaine is hardly news until it turns tragic:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...list-bike.html

(US variant: Oregon salmon swim across roads while in the
midwest we improvise with mushrooms and fantasy fish:

https://www.channel3000.com/news/cri...-say/860169001
)

Always everywhere taxpayer funds will be wasted, if not
perniciously turned against taxpayers, one way or another:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-fly-by.html



--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ads
  #2  
Old November 13th 18, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,076
Default more cycling in England

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 10:47:39 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Cocaine is hardly news until it turns tragic:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...list-bike.html


Yow. That's one rough looking 35 year old!

And the definition of "woman of good character" seems to have gotten far too
broad.

Always everywhere taxpayer funds will be wasted, if not
perniciously turned against taxpayers, one way or another:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-fly-by.html


I guess I wouldn't object to the idea of the signs; but the cost seems crazy.
That seems like the thing any subscriber of _Make_ magazine could build
for less than $100.

However, 10 mph is maddeningly slow on a bike. I'm not much of a fan of physical
segregation between bikes and cars, except in unusual situations. But I'd
welcome physical segregation between pedestrians and bikes in places like that.
It makes more sense to me than keeping bikes to "barely balance" speed.

I've probably said this before, but when our local metropark closed a road
(18 feet wide) and made it a bike-ped MUP, they imposed a 10 mph bike limit.
(No speed limit for runners or skaters, just bikes.) They attempted to enforce
it with an enclosed police scooter with a radar gun.

The cop tried to pull over one guy I knew. He was probably doing about 15 mph,
and he's not the type to ever endanger anyone, so it was probably empty
pavement where he did that.

He refused to pull over. He simply accelerated and rode away. Turns out that
scooter had a top speed that wasn't as great as his.

- Frank Krygowski
  #3  
Old November 13th 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,839
Default more cycling in England

On 11/13/2018 2:13 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 10:47:39 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Cocaine is hardly news until it turns tragic:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...list-bike.html


Yow. That's one rough looking 35 year old!

And the definition of "woman of good character" seems to have gotten far too
broad.

Always everywhere taxpayer funds will be wasted, if not
perniciously turned against taxpayers, one way or another:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-fly-by.html


I guess I wouldn't object to the idea of the signs; but the cost seems crazy.
That seems like the thing any subscriber of _Make_ magazine could build
for less than $100.

However, 10 mph is maddeningly slow on a bike. I'm not much of a fan of physical
segregation between bikes and cars, except in unusual situations. But I'd
welcome physical segregation between pedestrians and bikes in places like that.
It makes more sense to me than keeping bikes to "barely balance" speed.

I've probably said this before, but when our local metropark closed a road
(18 feet wide) and made it a bike-ped MUP, they imposed a 10 mph bike limit.
(No speed limit for runners or skaters, just bikes.) They attempted to enforce
it with an enclosed police scooter with a radar gun.

The cop tried to pull over one guy I knew. He was probably doing about 15 mph,
and he's not the type to ever endanger anyone, so it was probably empty
pavement where he did that.

He refused to pull over. He simply accelerated and rode away. Turns out that
scooter had a top speed that wasn't as great as his.


Elegant solution!

in re British 10mph signs, at least the UK spends less than
California, at $3million+ per day to not build a train
which, if actually built, can never break even on operations

https://ktla.com/2018/08/26/californ...lation-delays/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #4  
Old November 13th 18, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,819
Default more cycling in England

On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 8:31:01 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:

in re British 10mph signs, at least the UK spends less than
California, at $3million+ per day to not build a train
which, if actually built, can never break even on operations

https://ktla.com/2018/08/26/californ...lation-delays/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


In California the sun rises in the West and sets in the East. And all of that was done by Pure Might of Virtue Signalling. I'm working on bottling it.

Andre Jute
---after which I'll rename myself Yo! and cut a hit record
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cycling in England AMuzi Techniques 41 September 21st 14 02:10 PM
Cycling England to go JMS UK 3 September 30th 10 07:56 PM
Cycling England review Tom Crispin UK 2 April 14th 10 01:20 PM
Cycling in North of England Klaus Steinkamp UK 13 November 17th 08 03:27 PM
Cycling England Tom Crispin UK 2 April 13th 07 11:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.