Polished cranks?

Old February 1st 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Polished cranks?

I've just polished my cranks with three different grains of sandpaper
(100, 150, 250, in that order), and now they're really smooth and my
grinding has improved loads! Just wondering if anyone else polishes
their cranks?

--
Erant

Live free, prosper, and under my rule.
Erant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9986

Old February 1st 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

nope

--
irvinegr

Check out my SWEET movies!!! http://tinyurl.com/cr7fu
irvinegr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10958

Old February 1st 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I would say be careful with rust, assuming you scraped off your paint.

--
Brian O.

Old February 1st 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Brian O. wrote:
I would say be careful with rust, assuming you scraped off your paint.

The paint was actually already off, removed due to lots of grinding
being done on it already, and because I used it a couple of times on a
grindrail already it's now covered in a slight film of wax, protecting
it from the elements.

Old February 1st 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I don't see any use to polishing a crank... especially when you're
grinding on waxed metal rails. Can you quantify this "loads of
improvement" you're claiming? I'd say improving your technique
slightly would give you more improvement than resurfacing your cranks.

Furthermore, my pedal makes more contact (surface area) than my cranks
in a grind. Are you going to polish your pedals next? I would think
that would make a bigger difference.

Erant wrote:
it's now covered in a slight film of wax, protecting it from the
elements

You could be sealing in moisture by waxing the cranks... some paints
(ex. rustoleum) actually displace water and other corrosives as they
coat a surface.

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Old February 1st 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

yes i have. they looked sweet for awhile but then rusted to crap. I used
a buffer and they were like a mirror.

--
musketman
musketman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9214

Old February 1st 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

i am thinking about starting 2 learn how 2 grind.....when you grind do
you hit the rail or obltacle with your pedal or crank becouse ive heard
both sides is there 2 types? which ones easyer?

thanks

--
dorfman

my unicycles are like my imaginary friends that every one can see.
dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880

Old February 1st 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

maestro8 wrote:
I don't see any use to polishing a crank... especially when you're
grinding on waxed metal rails. Can you quantify this "loads of
improvement" you're claiming? I'd say improving your technique
slightly would give you more improvement than resurfacing your cranks.

I distinctly sense a smoother 'ride' on the surface, less jittery then
normal, and I can grind a lot farther on horizontal bars. My technique
is probably so, so, I guess someone with better technique (I'm no
street rider) would sense little improvement. Still, anything that is
smooth will win over something non-smooth, regardless of surface.

maestro8 wrote:

You could be sealing in moisture by waxing the cranks... some paints
(ex. rustoleum) actually displace water and other corrosives as they
coat a surface.

I could, if I see any sign of rusting, I'm going to clean the cranks
straight away, and use a bit of hammerite on it. It's not like I do
that much grinding anyway.

Old February 1st 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

i think it adds character when its chipped up and used looking

Chase

--
Unitik908

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P James Doohan
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Peter Jennings
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

-last edited by the dave and sigpoose on 2005-09-05 at 08:56 pm -