Ebikes

Old April 14th 18, 02:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
news18

Default Ebikes

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 20:24:15 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

So you stamp it. Hint, those links say it must meet a European Enbike
standard, it doesn't say it has to be one, aka EU commercial product.

Sure, you can create a label. You could probably create a fairly good
looking one and that would work.

Exactly. Hint, plenty of people build their own trailer and stamp the
require details onto it.

It's still illegal if the bike provides more power than 250W sustained
when pedalling

Pathetic attempt at goal post shifting.

and 200W throttle only.

I have heard but can't verify that a motor rated at more than 250W can
be restricted by the manufacturer to 250 continuous but have more torque
so shift more weight faster up to the rated speed.

Hint, duty cycle and think PWM or similar when power is applied for a
fraction of a second each second or such. When e-bikes first came out,
controls were limited to basic off and on or wasteful variable
resistance. Overtime, the ability to "switch" greater current has become
easier so you can source a simpler circuit to switch 17-21amps
(200-250Watt@12V) or higher.

I expect that at some point soonish some twonk on an e-bike, hotted up
or no, will kill a ped on a shared path, or illegally riding on a
footpath.

This is basically why they banned ICEs. Plenty were way over powered but
labelled as if they were not. ICEs were popular with the ones who had
lost their licence for DUI and not the usual adult bicycle rider, who
didn't object to their noisy machines and their "riders" being taken off
the road and rare bike path. There was also the issue that plenty had no
clutch and could not safely stop.

Anyway, the OP never offers any reason why they keep posting this
question, which is why I couldn't be arsed answering it.
Old April 17th 18, 12:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
FMurtz

news18 wrote:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 21:55:34 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

o that means 250 if pedelec as far as I can see. Which is the same as
the guy at Sydney Electric Bikes told me, that is the throttle is
supposed to only give 200W but the pedal assist can be up to 250.

I think he was trying to pass off old stock. The law in NSW was max 200w,
but it was relatively recently increased to 250W in line with limits else
where.

It was Victoria that at one stage had a rule that power assist could only
work if the rider was also pedalling. That rule has since been removed.

BTW, we've done this before that last time numbchum asked this question.

I was after the latest laws IE proof, not an opinion, numnuts, I had
been told that you could not have a throttle unless you pedaled and a
statement from an unknown individual saying the opposite without
reference would not cut it and may not believed just as I did not
believe the bloke I was talking to.
Old April 17th 18, 12:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
FMurtz

news18 wrote:
[...]

I have offered reason in another post but did not need to when my
original post asked for the laws
Old April 17th 18, 12:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle
FMurtz

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Thu, 12 Apr 2018 23:44:25 +1000
FMurtz wrote:
I once posted this but got no real answer. Does anyone have an answer?
What are the latest laws in NSW regarding EBikes
Can you still have independent throttles with 200 watts, it seems you
can have 250 watts but only if you pedal, is this the case, is there an
up to date ADR or regulation governing this?

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...dal-cycles.pdf

alternatively look at legislation

latest I can find in nsw is 2014
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...28n2014410.pdf

"Note 1. Power-assisted pedal cycle is defined in the Vehicle Standard
(Australian Design Rule— Definitions and Vehicle Categories) 2005
determined under section 7 of the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 of
the Commonwealth. The definition of power-assisted pedal cycle includes
pedalecs within the meaning of that Standard (which may have one or
more auxiliary propulsion motors generating a combined power output not
exceeding 250 watts)."

so that means 250 if pedelec as far as I can see. Which is the same
as the guy at Sydney Electric Bikes told me, that is the throttle is
supposed to only give 200W but the pedal assist can be up to 250.

(And internal combustion engined bikes are now not bicycles...)

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2012C00326

PEDALEC - A vehicle meeting European Committee for Standardization
EN 15194:2009 or EN 15194:2009+A1:2011 Cycles - Electrically power
assisted cycles - EPAC Bicycles.

Go search for that....

http://www.zbox.com.au/legal.htm also dates to 2014 and says the same
- 200w for throttle, 250 for pedalec. With the caveat that a throttle
only bike still has to be a bike. So the pseudo-scooters you see
with the vestigal pedals are illegal.

Zebee

Thanks Zebee, for the info I was after.
Old April 17th 18, 03:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle
news18

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 21:00:11 +1000, FMurtz wrote:

I was after the latest laws

Then look them up if you're so worried about them. This is usenet.