Recumbent Trikes - Where to Put the Lights?

Old August 29th 07, 01:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1073_]

Default Recumbent Trikes - Where to Put the Lights?

Artemisia wrote:
From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?...

I have an older version of this mount on the derailer [1] mast of a SWB
recumbent [2] - it should work on any trike with such a mast:
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983907300.
This has room for two lights, or a light and a cyclometer.

ICE/Trice makes a mount that clamps onto the mast:
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/images/products/la_07trice_lightmount.jpg.

The cyclometer can also be mounted on the main tube in front of the seat
where it is easily reached while seated. There are custom mounts for
this, or one can be made from two hose clamps (one around the tube, the
other held perpendicular to the tube by the first), a piece of dowel
(held by the second clamp) and some electrical tape [3].

[1] Brownian spelling.
[2] My trike has a built in version.
[3] I had such a mount on a USS Reynolds Wishbone.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old August 29th 07, 07:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Phil Cook

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:

Artemisia wrote:
From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?...

I have an older version of this mount on the derailer [1] mast of a SWB
recumbent [2] - it should work on any trike with such a mast:
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/readitem.pl?Accessory=983907300.
This has room for two lights, or a light and a cyclometer.

This would be great and fantastic if A was getting a front derailleur
equipped Scorpion. In fact she's getting the SRAM Dual Drive which
comes with a plain front end.

http://www.zoxbikes.com/main/sco_ora...links_frei.jpg

There is what looks like a lumotec oval mounted on the boom.

I think she could specify a boom with a derailleur post though if she
wants the computer wotsit real estate.

Also looking at the HPvelo price list
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/shoppin...rpionfx_e.html
there are lights, bottles and airzounds listed so they must know where
they go.
Old August 29th 07, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Phil Cook wrote:

This would be great and fantastic if A was getting a front derailleur
equipped Scorpion. In fact she's getting the SRAM Dual Drive which
comes with a plain front end.

I think she could specify a boom with a derailleur post though if she
wants the computer wotsit real estate.

I would think that should be easy enough, as other Scorpions have a
front derailleur option and thus a boom with a stalk is a standard part
for the machine.

Also looking at the HPvelo price list
http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/shoppin...rpionfx_e.html
there are lights, bottles and airzounds listed so they must know where
they go.

On HPVel bikes lamps mount via a braze-on at the head of the boom. This
is no trouble if you're using a lamp designed for mounting like the B&M
dynamo lamps HPVel supply themselves, but it's no use if you want to use
something that just clips onto a handlebar.

This puts me back to my usual suggestion on HPVels to order them with
dynohub and standlight lamps fitted at the factory if you'll be wanting
illuminated riding at all.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old August 29th 07, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Artemisia[_2_]

On 29 août, 08:01, Phil Cook wrote:
Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
This would be great and fantastic if A was getting a front derailleur
equipped Scorpion. In fact she's getting the SRAM Dual Drive which
comes with a plain front end.

Thanks for catching that. I'm so dazzled by all this science I didn't
even notice. Yes, SRAM Dualdrive, but also a front shifter since I
want all 81 gears. Don't know what it looks like, though.

I think she could specify a boom with a derailleur post though if she
wants the computer wotsit real estate.

I'll be speaking to my dealer this weekend to sort all these options
out.

Thanks,

EFR
Ile de France

Old August 29th 07, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Artemisia wrote:
On 29 août, 08:01, Phil Cook wrote:
Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:
This would be great and fantastic if A was getting a front derailleur
equipped Scorpion. In fact she's getting the SRAM Dual Drive which
comes with a plain front end.

Thanks for catching that. I'm so dazzled by all this science I didn't
even notice. Yes, SRAM Dualdrive, but also a front shifter since I
want all 81 gears. Don't know what it looks like, though.

If you have a front shifter you will have a derailleur post.

Pete.
Old August 30th 07, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1113_]

Peter Clinch, the Most August Medical Physics IT Officer [1], wrote:
This puts me back to my usual suggestion on HPVels to order them with
dynohub and standlight lamps fitted at the factory if you'll be wanting
illuminated riding at all.

butbutbut [2], how do you put a dynohub on a tadpole? Does anyone make a
rear Shimano cassette compatible dynohub?

[1] alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent joke for Mr. Ed.
[2] Gratuitous gdanielsism.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

Old August 30th 07, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Alan Braggins

In article , Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman wrote:
Peter Clinch, the Most August Medical Physics IT Officer [1], wrote:
This puts me back to my usual suggestion on HPVels to order them with
dynohub and standlight lamps fitted at the factory if you'll be wanting
illuminated riding at all.

butbutbut [2], how do you put a dynohub on a tadpole?

On http://www.hpvelotechnik.de/shopping...corpion_e.html
tick the box labelled "light system SON hub dynamo, sensor standlight,
oneside mount".
Not so simple for other tadpoles, since AIUI the one-sided SON is
specific to the Scorpion hub design, but Peter said "on HPVels".

Does anyone make a
rear Shimano cassette compatible dynohub?

Yes, Shimano do. It's designed for their electric auto shifting system,
and produces less power than a standard dynamo, but is (reportedly) capable
of driving an LED light at reasonable brightness.
Old August 30th 07, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote:

butbutbut [2], how do you put a dynohub on a tadpole? Does anyone make a
rear Shimano cassette compatible dynohub?

No, but Schmidt make a single sided mount one for your choice of front
wheel that is available as a standard option on the HPVel Scorpion.
Quite a recent development, but now a Real & Shipping product.

Could well be the case that the wheel mount system isn't universal so
won't necessarily work on any given tadpole, but since the prospective
owner here is getting a Scorpion it's definitely not a problem for her.

Pete.
Old August 30th 07, 12:38 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_1120_]

Default Correcting Ed Dolan (Was: Recumbent Trikes - Where to Put the Lights?)

Mr. Ed Dolan the Grate wrote:
Tom "Johnny Sunset" Sherman wrote
Mr. Ed Dolan the Grate wrote:.
EFR
Ile de France

Mr. Ed Dolan the Grate wrote:

My God! It is too good to be true - a Frenchman for me to ****!

I will keep on eye on this Artemisia and if he strays off-topic however
slightly, I will kill him. I have been waiting for ages to get my claws
into a Frenchman.

He? He? HE? "Artemisia" is neither French nor a man. Please pay attention.

Well, he, she, it pretends to be French and that is enough for me....

No, she LIVES in Paris, France; just like Mr. Ed lives in Worthington,
Minnesota, USA.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.