Riders and Rides

Old March 22nd 04, 04:14 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Default Riders and Rides

A proper portrait of me with (one) bike--Bekah, who I left behind in
London.

She was theft-proof, all right.

www.livejournal.com/users/ouij

-Luigi
Old March 22nd 04, 05:12 PM
David Reuteler

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
A proper portrait of me with (one) bike--Bekah, who I left behind in
London.

did the, uhhh, u-bolt ever get in the way?

She was theft-proof, all right.

really? why? was it just the embarassment of a mixte frame? the colour
alone wouldn't do it for me .. i saw a shockingly cool pink track bike i'd
have bought in a second had it been my size.

... but probably not had it had a mixte frame.

still not sure about that u-bolt placement.

good lord, is that a kickstand?

you forgot your wheel reflectors!
--
david reuteler

Old March 22nd 04, 05:40 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On 22 Mar 2004 17:12:00 GMT, David Reuteler wrote:

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
A proper portrait of me with (one) bike--Bekah, who I left behind in
London.

did the, uhhh, u-bolt ever get in the way?

Actually, no. The U-bolt was more or less where the top tube might
have been, maybe only a little higher. There wasn't anywhere else to
mount it, otherwise; the inner bit of the frame was too small, and
the rack narrow....

The biggest hassle was the bracket catching on my shorts occasionally
and during inopportune moments--like trying to stand and stomp away
from a stoplight. But this wasn't all that common, and all told it
wasn't too bad.

She was theft-proof, all right.

really? why? was it just the embarassment of a mixte frame? the colour
alone wouldn't do it for me .. i saw a shockingly cool pink track bike i'd
have bought in a second had it been my size.

.. but probably not had it had a mixte frame.

Yeah, the mixte was a great dealbreaker. And that awful colour. And
the fact that she looked like utter cack compared to the nicer cycles
that I'd lock her up next to.

still not sure about that u-bolt placement.

good lord, is that a kickstand?

Yeah, kickstand, baby, hell yeah.

you forgot your wheel reflectors!

The geezers down at Re-cycle at Elephant & Castle didn't put any on.
I didn't fuss; she was the right bike for the money. I might have
gotten more props buying the ancient postie (that's as in delivering
the post, not Postal!) they had for sale, or shelling out for a
drop-bar Raleigh, but a grad student's cash doesn't stretch so far.

When I bought her, it was all about the fenders. Well worth
it--especially when you consider there are still a lot of horse
policemen in London. And a lot of rain.

-Luigi