To sock or not to sock?

Old April 22nd 11, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Recumbent Accident Rates?

On 4/22/2011 3:08 PM, Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:
T*m Sherm^n wrote:

kolldata aka Gene Daniels wrote:

are stats available for recumbent accident rates or is that meteroite
shower territory ?
like does anyone have personal knowledge ?

I doubt there is enough information to be statically valid.

Casual observation of some recumbents demonstrates them to be tragic
accidents 100% of the time, whether being ridden or just sitting
stationary.

http://kotisivu.suomi.net/mustasuden...eff2%20002.JPG

Looks like a recumbent version of a "Dead Baby Bike".

http://www.manytracks.com/Recumbent/.../gmack-4-w.jpg

Back half of an old upright and some carpentry.

http://www.recumbentriders.org/forum...e/175.imgcache

Does not open in browser.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t/DSCN2669.jpg

Some interesting ideas.

http://www.aloneinaforest.com/wp-con...ke-for-two.jpg

Barcroft Columbia: http://www.barcroftcycles.com/bikes.html.

Careful observation of some uprights demonstrates them to be tragic
dangers to posterior comfort 100% of the time.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old May 2nd 11, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
John Doe

Default Should you wear a helmet while riding a recumbent?

=?UTF-8?B?VMK6bSBTaGVybcKqbuKEoiDCsF/CsA==?=
" wrote:

kolldata aka Gene Daniels rote:

are stats available for recumbent accident rates or is that
meteroite shower territory ? like does anyone have personal
knowledge ?

I doubt there is enough information to be statically valid.

What about helmet wearing?
Old May 2nd 11, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
AMuzi

" wrote:

kolldata aka Gene Daniels rote:

are stats available for recumbent accident rates or is that
meteroite shower territory ? like does anyone have personal
knowledge ?

I doubt there is enough information to be statically valid.

What about helmet wearing?

One might buy one before doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtO5GvtP-zE

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 2nd 11, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
kolldata

" wrote:
kolldata aka Gene Daniels rote:
are stats available for recumbent accident rates or is that
meteroite shower territory ? like does anyone have personal
knowledge ?

I doubt there is enough information to be statically valid.

What about helmet wearing?

RBT boasts a resident recumbent recliner. You be the judge.
Old May 2nd 11, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 1, 9:16*pm, AMuzi wrote:
John Doe wrote:

What about helmet wearing?

One might buy one before doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtO5GvtP-zE

I prefer to not do that.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 2nd 11, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Opus[_2_]

" wrote:
kolldata aka Gene Daniels rote:
are stats available for recumbent accident rates or is that
meteroite shower territory ? like does anyone have personal
knowledge ?

I doubt there is enough information to be statically valid.

What about helmet wearing?

One really good reason to wear a helmet is it provides a convenient
place to mount rear-view mirrors for those of us with limited range of
motion in our necks. For the other stuff it doesn't do much good ad
our falling height is so much lower than wedgies, and for other types
of wrecks it just doesn't provide enough coverage to be effective
unless you buy a full-face helmet. My preference when riding a 'bent
is a full-face helmet with a fiberglass or carbon fiber shell that
will slide over asphalt or concrete. Another plus for the hard-shell
helmet is the liners are generally good for an extra year or two over
a standard bicycle helmet, which is basically an unprotected liner.
Also you can get a re-line kit for many hard-shell helmets that allows
you to customize the shell and continue to use it for many years. The
helmet I use is the #1 choice for pit crews in several forms of
motorsports so repair parts and reline kits are readily available and
not too expensive.
Old May 2nd 11, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Dan O

" wrote:
[...]

What kind of helmet? (I feel like maybe I ought to replace my [~25
year-old] hard shell Vetta.)
Old May 2nd 11, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 2, 10:37*am, Opus wrote:

One really good reason to wear a helmet is it provides a convenient
place to mount rear-view mirrors for those of us with limited range of
motion in our necks.

I prefer eyeglass mirrors, largely because they work with any hat, or
with none at all.

If my eyes were to undergo a miraculous cure so I'd never need
glasses, the mirror would mount some place on my bike.

My preference when riding a 'bent
is a full-face helmet with a fiberglass or carbon fiber shell that
will slide over asphalt or concrete.

Wow. Apparently, I worry much less than you do.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 2nd 11, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 5/2/2011 12:51 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On May 2, 10:37 am, wrote:

One really good reason to wear a helmet is it provides a convenient
place to mount rear-view mirrors for those of us with limited range of
motion in our necks.

I prefer eyeglass mirrors, largely because they work with any hat, or
with none at all.

If my eyes were to undergo a miraculous cure so I'd never need
glasses, the mirror would mount some place on my bike.

Even if I didn't need corrective lenses, I'd still wear something over
my eyes.

Even if I always wore a helmet, I'd still prefer mounting the mirror to
the eye glasses, I treat my helmets a good deal more casually.

I also wear my mirror when rowing, I never wear a helmet.

My preference when riding a 'bent
is a full-face helmet with a fiberglass or carbon fiber shell that
will slide over asphalt or concrete.

Wow. Apparently, I worry much less than you do.

If I rode a 'bent, I'd wear a disguise (sorry, couldn't resist).
Old May 3rd 11, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Opus[_2_]

On May 2, 11:22*am, Dan O wrote:
On May 2, 7:37 am, Opus wrote:
snip The
helmet I use is the #1 choice for pit crews in several forms of
motorsports so repair parts and reline kits are readily available and
not too expensive.

What kind of helmet? *(I feel like maybe I ought to replace my [~25
year-old] hard shell Vetta.)

Bell Bellistic. I am working on my third season with mine and I'm
looking to paint the shell and install a re-line kit for another 3 or
4 seasons use.

sock it to me! Scott Racing 3 May 19th 10 06:34 AM
Tubular tire sock seat bag Sir Ridesalot General 2 August 1st 06 11:29 AM
Comedy Sock Puppet Just zis Guy, you know? UK 6 July 19th 04 11:00 AM
Tail box/sock/pannier combo Robert Haston Recumbent Biking 1 July 5th 04 05:21 PM
Winter sock recommendations? Moi Off Road 1 January 20th 04 05:49 PM