front wheel hub, put balls back on same side with the same cone

Old July 25th 15, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default front wheel hub, put balls back on same side with the same cone

Is this important? I've read you should do it as they
are worn together and if you don't put them on their
original side it all gets imbalanced and the load
isn't distributed evenly.

Is this true?

But if they are that worn, maybe you should replace
them?

Is there anyway to check how worn they are? I have
several Verniers but to rotate every ball inside the
grip to get an estimation of their roundness seems
tedious, an inexact.

Not that it is a problem putting them on their
original sides.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 25th 15, 07:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 9:50:05 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Is this important? I've read you should do it as they
are worn together and if you don't put them on their
original side it all gets imbalanced and the load
isn't distributed evenly.

Is this true?

But if they are that worn, maybe you should replace
them?

Is there anyway to check how worn they are? I have
several Verniers but to rotate every ball inside the
grip to get an estimation of their roundness seems
tedious, an inexact.

Not that it is a problem putting them on their
original sides.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

f you take the balls out of a hub the ideal thing to do is throw them away and use new ones so as to avoid any problems with the old worn balls.

Cheers
Old July 25th 15, 12:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Fri, 24 Jul 2015 23:39:15 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

Usually after you take the bearing apart and clean it, if the balls
look a bit worn I believe that most people just chuck the lot and put
in all new. If you buy balls in lots they are cheap enough to be
considered as expendable.

As for putting the balls back on the same side, I never bothered, just
threw everything into a pan, washed them in solvent, re-lubed them and
assembled them. Never had any unexplained failures yet.
--
cheers,

John B.
Old July 25th 15, 12:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Toss old balls....vernier n balls sit on flat surface...buy cartridge bearing hubs
Old July 25th 15, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Emanuel Berg wrote:
:Is this important? I've read you should do it as they
:are worn together and if you don't put them on their
riginal side it all gets imbalanced and the load
:isn't distributed evenly.

:Is this true?

I've nver bothered, and I don't know anyone who does.
Shops will just replace them if there's any doubt.

:But if they are that worn, maybe you should replace
:them?

:Is there anyway to check how worn they are? I have
:several Verniers but to rotate every ball inside the
:grip to get an estimation of their roundness seems
:tedious, an inexact.

They'll look worn. If in doubt, just throw them away. New ones are
cheap, if you buy 100 balls at time (which isn't that many wheels.)

--
sig 35
Old July 25th 15, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

Emanuel Berg wrote:
Is this important? I've read you should do it as they
are worn together and if you don't put them on their
original side it all gets imbalanced and the load
isn't distributed evenly.

Is this true?

People actually consider putting them back? I toss 'em and replace. They
are cheap. The time spent examining them and fussing about cleaning and
replacing them vs. the cost of putting new ones works out to less than
minimum wage. I don't work for that little.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old July 26th 15, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 5:18:05 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
(Király) writes:

People actually consider putting them back? I toss
'em and replace. They are cheap. The time spent
examining them and fussing about cleaning and
replacing them vs. the cost of putting new ones
works out to less than minimum wage. I don't work
for that little.

Well, we longears like to work. We don't sleep many
hours a night. But thanks for this reply and the
others as well. It seems my intuition was correct in
this case.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

The problem you might run into, and why new balls are recommended, is if the old balls are badly worn they might not be round any more and thus putting them anywhere in a hub could result in the need to readjustthe cones after even a short ride because balls have shifted to their lowest heights thus causing the cones to no longer be as tigt; or the uneven balls can cause premature wear to the cups of the hubs themselves and ruined bearing hub cups usually means a new hub.

We like to warn about potential problems but in the end it's up to the owner to decide if the risk of damage is great enough.

Cheers
Old July 26th 15, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

GIANT.. I smell the blood of an Englishman

elf.. no stupid that's smoke

alas, gone is the industrial photo but price is down...Chinese ?

http://harriscyclery.net/product/whe...of-25-1461.htm

25's are a humdinger kiddo...chromium plus...knock your races off....

https://www.bikeman.com/BB1001.html

our storm has gathered itself into rotating counterclockwise
Old July 26th 15, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

say CHEESE

https://tallhorsewines.files.wordpre...say-cheese.jpg

http://www.yellowjersey.org/hardware.html