Can't afford $300 cycling shoes, what is the alternative?

Old October 17th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Can't afford $300 cycling shoes, what is the alternative?

Hello-

I recently started cycling on a regular basis (hybrid bike). I'm using
my old sneakers for now. It appears that 'decent' cycling shoes start
around $300 and that is a bit too much for me.

Can somebody please tell me what are my alternatives? is there any
special sneaker that would be better?

Will really appreciate it.
Thanks.

Old October 17th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
gds

wrote:
Hello-

I recently started cycling on a regular basis (hybrid bike). I'm using
my old sneakers for now. It appears that 'decent' cycling shoes start
around $300 and that is a bit too much for me.

Can somebody please tell me what are my alternatives? is there any
special sneaker that would be better?

Will really appreciate it.
Thanks.

$300 is a pretty upper end shoe. Lots of shoes that are very, very
good for a fraction of that price. Now is the time to think about what
type of pedals you want. If you are riding in sneakers you have not yet
discovered clipless and that is a major upgrade in performance and will
to some extent co vary with your choice of shoe. But you can get
servicable new pedals ad new shoes for less than $300.

Old October 17th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
sally

In article .com,
wrote:
I recently started cycling on a regular basis (hybrid bike). I'm using
my old sneakers for now. It appears that 'decent' cycling shoes start
around $300 and that is a bit too much for me.

Is that Canadian dollars or something? At my local bike shop, only
the fanciest racing shoes cost that much. There are pleanty of decent
recreational shoes selling for under $100. Shimano and Pearl Izumi
brand shoes give you some good value for your money.
Old October 18th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:25:42 -0700, km8080 wrote:

Hello-

I recently started cycling on a regular basis (hybrid bike). I'm using
my old sneakers for now. It appears that 'decent' cycling shoes start
around $300 and that is a bit too much for me.

That's BS. Decent cycling shoes can be had for $45.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
_`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
(_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
internet has proven this not to be the case.
Old October 18th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

On 17 Oct 2006 15:25:42 -0700, wrote:

Hello-

I recently started cycling on a regular basis (hybrid bike). I'm using
my old sneakers for now. It appears that 'decent' cycling shoes start
around $300 and that is a bit too much for me.

Huh? Look at the current sales at Nashbar. You can get decent shoes
with cleats and pedals for lss than a third of that.

You're shopping in the wrong places.

Can somebody please tell me what are my alternatives?

Use regular shoes and don't worry about it. Cleats are far from
necessary for non-competitive riding. I use them on one of my bikes,
but *just* one. I ride all of the others with just regular shoes; in
fact, with whatever shoes I happen to have on.

is there any
special sneaker that would be better?

If the shoe fits, and seems reasonably appropriate[1], wear it.

[1] Okay, I'll admit that I have shoes that would not be suitable to
wear while riding a bike. Some shoes are obviously poor choices, such
as:

http://www.pegasuspublishing.com/xca...roductid=26563

However, I will assume for the sake of discussion that such footwear
would be readily recognized as unsuitable by at least a preponderance
of the readers here.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old October 18th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Kevin

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello-

I recently started cycling on a regular basis (hybrid bike). I'm using
my old sneakers for now. It appears that 'decent' cycling shoes start
around $300 and that is a bit too much for me.

Can somebody please tell me what are my alternatives? is there any
special sneaker that would be better?

Will really appreciate it.
Thanks.

You REALLY need to look around!!! I have a pair of Shimano touring shoes
with SPD clips that I've been using for over a year and a half that only ran
me around $90 w/ the clips. I teach spinning classes and use them a couple
of times a week for that and then on my road bike for the longer weekend
rides. It's great to not have to worry about carrying covers for the clips
due to the clips being recessed. Sure, being a touring shoe, they are not
the very lightest, but that doesn't matter for my uses.

Look around. You'll find them for under $100, especially if there is an
"off" season where you are located!

Kevin

Old October 18th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bill Sornson wrote:

Try bowling.

Bill "instead of trolling" S.

I agree with Mr. Bill (for once). This guy's a troll.

Art

Old October 18th 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Thank you all.

I was hoping some sneaker would be good enough, but I did find cycling
shoes for $75, was definitely looking at wrong places (nike.com for
one).

Thanks again.