Obligatory Moab praise thread

Old March 29th 04, 05:35 PM
paco

Default Obligatory Moab praise thread

As people get back from Moab, they are going to want to say how
excellent of an experience it was. So I figured I'd start.
Moab was excellent this year. Even with double the number from last
year, Rolf and crew managed to pull it off without a noticable hitch.
It was an amazing time to get to know people. I felt like I was rubbing
shoulders with all the greats, and getting to know many from the forum.
Everyone seemed to have a great time, and as far as I know, we didn't
have as many casualties this year. Three cheers for the largest MUni
event in recorded history!
(Now it's your turn to say nice things)

--
paco - Co-Founder of the PacoGild Movement

I'm having trouble thinking cognitively.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old March 29th 04, 06:37 PM
cybeross

I was happy to see so many people that cared about unicycling, it was
awesome just for that. I can't wait to go back, but I realize there are
a lot of things I need to work on for next year . There were some
VERY good people, and I couldn't believe how good everyone was in
general... I'm still hobbling from slickrock, hahaha.

--
cybeross - three tyme speling be champeon

-Ross

"Can YOU name a truck with four wheel drive, that smells like a steak,
and seats thirty-five?"
cybeross's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1045

Old March 30th 04, 12:51 AM
mgrant

Moab was great.

A great big THANK YOU to Rolf and all the others who helped.

I had a great time. In fact it was so much fun I'm going back in two
weeks.

The only complaint I had was that I left my camera in the car and didn't
get any pictures.

The riding made me realize how bad I really am compared to so many
others. But it's really great to see so many good riders.

-mg

P.S. Paco, where are all your pictures?

--
mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

Old March 30th 04, 01:25 AM
nbrazzi

It sucks I had to miss it due to the cost of moving to a new apartment
soon. I thought last year was big, but it sounds like this year it was
even bigger. I hope that means next year if I get to go, it will be
even more big.

At least I got some coker time in during the weekend.

--
nbrazzi

any God with sense is going to want to promote unicycling

-onewheeldave on religion
nbrazzi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/917

Old March 30th 04, 01:50 AM
andrew_carter

On behalf of all the people who really wanted to be there but couldn't
afford it, I'd just like to say please show us some pictures!

I'll go to a Moab Munifest some day.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 28/03 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

Old March 30th 04, 03:46 AM
gerblefranklin

I loved it!!!

I got to ride with everyone I could imagine, and I was happy to meet so
many new people. I even got to borrow Dan Heaton's titanium muni!

Friday afternoon was fun, except I pinch flatted my trials uni on the
fifth hop of the day. But, it turned out well, as I did some trials I
didn't think I could do on my muni.

I found slickrock to be a bit of a disappointment, because I rode it
with the seat too high, so I couldn't do a lot of stuff I wanted to (not
to mention I was already half thrashed from trials that morning). Also,
Dan's pedals had no pins left. Still, it was great, and I'm looking
forward to it in the near future.

The Amassaback (spelling?) trail was by far my favorite. I rode
everything I wanted to, and even got to do a bit of trials with Zack and
Ryan (they were much better than me). I also got to see Kris Holm do
some crazy trials lines like they were nothing, and almost lost Dan's
unicycle into a river with him standing 10' behind me. I also liked
trying Jacob's ladder with Ben Plotkin-Swing, Merrill, and Rolf Tompson.
I had hoped more would try it, but alas, it was for naught. I felt sorry
for Ryan, he got two flats within 30 minutes of each other, and the
patch on the second flat didn't hold. That sucked big time (irony, too,
because he won a 24"DH tube the night before). I had fun seing Kris blow
by stuff that was stopping me dead, and learned a lot just from talking
with him and watching his technique.

The award dinner was cool, although i didn't think much of the food. I
think I was supposed to win the baby steps second place expert award,
but they never announced it. I got to 8, Ben Plotkin-Swing got to 11.
Also, I was very happy doing leap frog, which I got a low of 23 on. I
nearly got a 19, but I biffed the last hop . Kris Holm got a 13 on it,
while Crazy Carl got an 18. I was really disappointed that I missed
cliffs of insanity, as I wanted to try it. Too bad. Props to Kris for
creating a GREAT trials course, which I had lots of fun on. I barely
couldn't do the big gap, so I only got a 19. Later, I unofficially tried
the last section, and finished half of it. That was crazy fun.

It was nice to meet all the fellow unicyclists, and ride with them. I
refuse to name names, because I'll definitely miss some, and that
wouldn't be nice.

See ya next year .

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?

Old March 30th 04, 05:03 AM
paco

I'll drop your name Gerblefranklin, since I found out who you were. I
think that was the highlight of this trip for me; putting names to
faces. Excellent description. Slickrock was hard for me because I
started half an hour after the main group and had to play catch-up for
the first three miles or so. When I finally caught up to the group,
they were finishing up a nice long rest and I had to get going again.
And MGrant, I was trying to put the pictures on earlier but it wasn't
working. I'm going to try again right now. I got a great one of you on
the railroad beam. It looks like you're really good!
It might take me a while to finish uploading all the pictures since
there are 130 of them...

Old March 30th 04, 05:46 AM
showard

Yes - Paco started the Slickrock Trail late with the "Geezer Group" of
which I was a member of. I watched him fade into the distance and
disappear right away.

I can't describe how much fun I had at Moab. I took some pictures and
posted them 'here' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/MMF04) . I've
even added some captions to some of them.

SH

--
showard - ------
showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452

Old March 30th 04, 06:20 AM
ratherbekayaking

I had a really great time riding with everyone. I was inspired by many
great riders to learn a few new skills which I hope to demonstrate for
you all next year.

My girlfriend Kathy enjoyed meeting and watching everyone. She was the
"Leap of Faith" judge, long red curly hair and the black baseball hat
that said "GUILTY" on the front and "Like Your're Not!" on the back.
Next year she plans to be a uni-rider.

Thank you Rolf for organizing a wonderful event. Thank you all for
making it so fun.

Ed Hansen

--
ratherbekayaking - Levels-shmevels. I just wanna ride!

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a
mistake when you make it again." (Franklin P. Jones)
ratherbekayaking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2330

Old March 30th 04, 10:53 AM
GILD

ratherbekayaking wrote:
*Next year she plans to be a uni-rider.*

any uni-gathering that has that result had to be a good one

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser (ocfopgm)

-ORIGINALLY POSTED BY A FELLOW UNICYCLIST IN A MOMENT OF SUBLIME
INSIGHT-
On the subject of significant others it is a matter of timing and topic
whether "significant" or "other" is the defining word in that phrase.
'[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/sp/84255.gif]'
(http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)

Namaste!
Dave