Sealed Bearing Jocky Wheels

Old July 6th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Sealed Bearing Jocky Wheels

Steve Sr. wrote:
Hello,

I have noticed that Shimano has decided to cheap out in the 10 speed
ultegra road group and provide only the lower wheel with a sealed
bearing. The upper is a not terribly well sealed ceramic bushing.

I would like to replace the upper with a sealed bearing unit just so
that I have one less bearing to worry about. Can any of you suggest a
source for a suitable replacement?

The only time I have replaced an upper wheel was on a Shimano LX unit
(MTB) where the pivots had developed enough play that shifting became a
bit off. I replaced it with a ball bearing (Bullseye?) aluminum wheel.
It did crisp up the shifting a bit. That wheel is still running OK
several years later, but I wouldn't conclude it was any more durable
than the stock Shimano -- and it was a bit expensive.