Yet another obstruction

Old April 3rd 06, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Yet another obstruction

David Hansen twisted the electrons to say:
There does not appear to be a line for motorists to stop at. Are
they exempt, or is this one of the early York ASLs where there is a
separate traffic light for motorists?

I'm pretty sure there's a normal ASL situation at that junction these
days (not complete sure though, as whilst I cross that junction 10 times
a week I almost never enter it from Skeldergate). I'll have a look on my
way back from Warthill to Leeman Road tomorrow ...

It's not actually a very pleaseant junction if you're approaching it from
the same direction as the car in the photo. The other two entries have
traffic lights but that road doesn't. To make things worse it's two
lanes road where that car is (and off-stage right where it's heading),
but only one-lane from where the camera is. Thus you get lots of cagers
cutting the corner even though they're going into the left hand lane once
they've made the turn ...
Old April 3rd 06, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

naked_draughtsman wrote:

You mean like this?
http://www.sayagain.co.uk/b3tapix/images/chopper.gif

Yes, exactly. :-)

--
Dave...

Old April 3rd 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Brooke wrote:

I honestly don't understand what the designers are trying to achieve?
While I agree they're dangerous, I just don't see what the point is.
What's worrying is the it looks as if Cycling England actually approve of
these.

It does seem that way, doesn't it? "Routes by the road and sea plus
examples of cycle friendly barriers." What hope is there?

Take a look at the Cleethorpes Promenade example too. The cycle path
seems to go through the edge of a sand dune.

--
Dave...

Old April 3rd 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Mike Causer wrote:
Here's a new variation on the theme of making life difficult for cyclists,
and this time it's in the photo gallery offered by Cycling England --

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...2&pic=184&sf=0

There are some similarly crappy ones on NCN 45 over the M4 between Coate
Water and Chiseldon.

rant

I am increasingly convinced that Sustrans paths are part of an evil
petrolhead conspiracy. Apart from somewhere you can teach kids to ride
MTBs, what use are they? You can't go at a decent clip because of peds
and dogs, who generally outnumber cyclists 10:1. You can't ride
non-stop because of gates and barriers. You can't ride them on a bike
without fat tyres (or at least a substantial tourer). You can't really
use them in wet weather because there are muddy bits. They rarely go
anywhere useful like roads do. Close but no cigar, Mr Grimshaw.

/rant
Old April 3rd 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 03 Apr, Mike Causer wrote:
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:16:44 +0100, Tom Crispin wrote:

Here's an example of a place where cyclists turning left do not have to
stop at lights.

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...=5&pic=83&sf=0

On the face of it, that Keep Left bollard applies to all traffic, even
those too wide to fit....

I suspect it's not so simple - it looks like the traffic light
is there only for cycles (no stop line other than in the cycle lane).
Also note that the bollard to the extreme right has no arrow on the
visible face. I'm assuming the vehicle lane is actually contraflow to
the cycle lane, so it's only bikes approaching the bollard from that
direction.

I'll admit that according to the traffic signs regulations, all
vehicles, including all the bikes on the cycle lane, must go to the
left, which will be a pain if you want to turn right, and if no cycle
can go to the right, one wonders why there's a traffic light?

I'd like to see the whole junction.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old April 3rd 06, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:00:46 +0100 someone who may be Simon Brooke
wrote this:-

I honestly don't understand what the designers are trying to achieve?

They were undoubtedly on some sort of mind altering drug. I have
asked those that came up with the web site what drug it was, though
I doubt if I will get an answer.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old April 3rd 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 3 Apr 2006 17:53:05 GMT someone who may be Alistair Gunn
wrote this:-

I'll have a look on my way back from Warthill to Leeman Road tomorrow ...

Thanks.

It's not actually a very pleaseant junction if you're approaching it from
the same direction as the car in the photo.

That is my impression of many cycle "facilities" in York, from my
limited meanderings around the place. I noted one "cycle lane" that
was narrower than pedals, let alone handlebars.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old April 4th 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Paul Boyd wrote:
http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...&pic=150&sf=10 shows
that even where you provide a nice safe, clearly marked entry to a
contraflow, there is always one cyclist who has to be different!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Come on, surely he was just about to sideways bunny-hop onto the cycle
lane?

Old April 4th 06, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:09:52 +0100, Paul Boyd wrote:

http://www.cyclingengland.co.uk/imag...9&pic=146&sf=0 shows
how a contraflow should be

Have you noticed that just after the zebra crossing the contra-flow is in the
door zone?