Removing a Bottom Bracket

Old January 17th 08, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Default Removing a Bottom Bracket

I'm having difficulty understanding how to remove a bottom bracket. The
bike is an old 10 speed Raleigh. There's a photo of the BB here
www.flickr.com/photos/86862441@N00/2199405983

Sheldon and Park Tools just confuse me, and I'm not even sure whether the
BB is a cartridge one or not. Any help gratefully received.
Old January 17th 08, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Mark T"
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid wrote
in message ...
I'm having difficulty understanding how to remove a bottom bracket. The
bike is an old 10 speed Raleigh. There's a photo of the BB here
www.flickr.com/photos/86862441@N00/2199405983

Sheldon and Park Tools just confuse me, and I'm not even sure whether the
BB is a cartridge one or not. Any help gratefully received.

T'aint a cartridge.

The RH side (chainwheel) will be a LH thread, and vice-versa.

At a guess, unscrew the lock ring - either the tool with a hook on it, or
hammer/punch. Then unscrew the cup using the flats you can see. (I'd use a
vice for that if I didn't have an appropriate spanner).

cheers,
clive

Old January 18th 08, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Paul - xxx said the following on 17/01/2008 23:17:

I agree with Clive. strip the frame, undo the lockring, hold the flats
in a vice and turn the frame, easy-peasy.

....just bearing in mind that the two cups unscrew in opposite directions.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old January 18th 08, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
citizen142[_2_]

Alternatively take one large 2 or 3 inch bolt, place washer on one end
pass through the bottom bracket RH side cup so now it is firm up
against the cup on the inside, place another washer on the bolt on the
outside of the cup and then add the nut then tighten the bolt -
because the RH cup is reverse threaded this should then unscrew the
fixed cup. Plenty of plus gas and lots of wellie also help.

Bottom Bracket? Noel UK 9 February 1st 07 08:55 PM
Bottom Bracket help, please! TomYoung Techniques 4 November 23rd 06 07:45 PM
Removing a stuck adjustable cup (Bottom Bracket) Brian Huntley Techniques 16 January 9th 06 07:41 AM
Removing Frozen Campy Record Bottom Bracket Cup (Right) Kendall Techniques 11 May 29th 04 03:56 PM
Bottom Bracket Help? ADE UK 8 October 1st 03 10:58 PM