IRC Tandem & SKSP35; Top Touring

Old August 15th 04, 08:07 PM
George Herbert Walker

Default IRC Tandem & SKSP35; Top Touring

The nominal spec for the SKSP35 is for tires up to 28mm. The nominal for
the IRC Tandem is 30mm. Has anyone tried this combination? Is there a good
fit, allowing the fender to lay close? What is the actual width of the
Tandem? Do IRC tires these days run true to size, or are they narrow like
Panaracers?

While I'm asking, how does the noise level and ride/handling of the Tandem
compare with a Top Touring 28mm; and while I'm asking that, how about the
puncture resistance. The Tandem seems to have thicker rubber but softer,
while the TT also has the two extra nylon belts.

The IRC tandem always got rave reviews in this NG, and then all of a sudden
last week or so there was a "they suck", are noisy, etc, from a respectable
source. What gives?

--
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

Please excuse the inconvenience allegedly caused by our son. Send
us the bill for all the damages, and we can settle this to your
satisfaction, without any need for a public record of the incident.

Most Sincerely, George and Bar

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 16th 04, 04:07 AM
Phil Holman

"George Herbert Walker" wrote in message

The nominal spec for the SKSP35 is for tires up to 28mm. The nominal
for the IRC Tandem is 30mm. Has anyone tried this combination? Is there
a good fit, allowing the fender to lay close? What is the actual width
of the Tandem? Do IRC tires these days run true to size, or are they
narrow like Panaracers?

While I'm asking, how does the noise level and ride/handling of the
Tandem compare with a Top Touring 28mm; and while I'm asking that, how
about the puncture resistance. The Tandem seems to have thicker rubber
but softer, while the TT also has the two extra nylon belts.
The IRC tandem always got rave reviews in this NG, and then all of a
sudden last week or so there was a "they suck", are noisy, etc, from a
respectable source. What gives?

I raised the original question because I had no basis for comparison
with other tandem tires. I was wondering if all tandems rode like this
or was it a tire characteristic. I did some research and found Jobst's
comment on such tires with a raised center profile. As far as the IRC
Tandem goes, his statement provides further insight into some of the
characteristics I was questioning.

"That brings us back to my original contention that such a shape was
like the old Specialized Touring II raised center tread, that was
intended to reduce rolling resistance by reducing road contact, the
belief being that RR was caused by scrubbing rather than visco-elastic
losses in rubber deformation. However, these tires had both increased
rolling resistance and poor braking and cornering traction."
Jobst Brandt

PH

Old August 19th 04, 07:37 PM
George Herbert Walker

I am only asking about the noise and the fit with the P35 fenders, and I
guess puncture resistance in comparison to Top Tourings. What pressure were
you running them at when you found them noisy, and how much do you weigh?

Have you ever used them with fenders, if so what size and how did they fit?

In any case the Pasela has a relatively thicker center section too.

Old August 24th 04, 04:17 AM
Phil Holman

"George Herbert Walker" wrote in message

I am only asking about the noise and the fit with the P35 fenders, and

guess puncture resistance in comparison to Top Tourings. What pressure

were
you running them at when you found them noisy, and how much do you

weigh?

Have you ever used them with fenders, if so what size and how did they

fit?

In any case the Pasela has a relatively thicker center section too.

IRC Tandems at 100psi. I'm 180lb and my wife 130lb. No fenders.

PH

Old August 25th 04, 05:51 PM
g.daniels

ima spastic. and with raised reduced rolling resistance middle range
tires i spasticed my butbubbut onto the pavement three times in
traffic GPing around what seemd to be normal parking lot corners
butbubut infact held a spot of pavement anomaly like sand skim or a
spot of h2o. one woman was nice eb nough to stop before crushing me as
i had butbutted over in her lane as i scrubbed my but to ah stop.
i tokkem off and gave them to the salvation army.
TODAY! with conti tt, i routinelee expletive deleted and the TT's tack
up the slack left by my loutish cornering and i continue swerving down
the higway butt intact!