Are Bike Lanes the end of horn intimidation?

Old November 3rd 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default Are Bike Lanes the end of horn intimidation?

Originally Posted by Basil Moss

"I imagine they are cheering me on, and wave cheerfully as they pass
by."

Either that or they are trying to intimidate you. One such beast
blasted the horn at me yesterday on the same causeway where I had a
grave incident before. And, yes they intimidate me and others, which
is why I call them terrorists.

***

You try ignore it until it gets to you, and you either crack or give
them the finger, which can lead to even worst incidents. The first
time I gave him the finger... big mistake; the second, I stood my
ground and balance, and the third time... well, there's NOT going to
be a third time because I'm sick and tired of all those bullies who
think they own the road. Yes, they really believe it!

So it occurs to me that Bike Lanes, besides its other merits --like
bringing more people to the road--, dramatically reduces the chances
of the predators roaring at you, which is a very appropriate metaphor.
How can I possibly be left alone when riding a bike?

WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION?
(home of the Dutch model!)

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old November 4th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Originally Posted by 2new2this
"You forgot to include use of the conceal and carry law. That'll be my
first choice if horn intimidation becomes a problem for me."

You may become more trigger happy than Billy the Kid.

I think they should officially recognize the Law of the Jungle on our
roads, so you can defend yourself the best way you can. At least you
won't serve long years if you pull a gun on horn happy predators.
Old November 4th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

(The beauty of monologues is that I always win. Kidding, I'm using my
brain power elsewhere)

Originally Posted by making
"I dont think I complained about it on here, I am making an effort to
quit complaining about drivers while I am riding but.... I have about
2-3 miles of bike lane on my commute. I had a car pull over in front
of me in heavy traffic (they were stopped I was going about 15) in the
bike lane. Not really close to hitting me but irratating none the
less. Since he was stopped in traffic, bike lanes not wide enough for
cars so he had to stop, in the bike lane. I explained to him the
reason for the little bike paintings on the pavment and how they did
not think they had to paint little cars on his lane....Anyway i
cracked myself (and him) up explaing stuff to him. But there is still
a problem even with bike lanes. Dont relax completly. I have had other
cars crowd me in the bike lanes.

Bike lanes are much better, but dont relax."

***

Well, biking is about relaxing, right?

But you are right. I'd have told Steve the Crocodile Man, never to
trust the beast fully. He'd be alive today.

Seriously, I wrote to him about fighting this "lion" (Howard in the
case of Australia), but he ignored me, and kept dealing with the
beasts, ironically trying to show that the manta rays were peaceful
animals...

Whoever trully knows the jungle says, NEVER TRUST THE BEAST!

Old November 4th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Red Cloud

On Nov 3, 3:47 pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:
[...]

Hmmm...It makes sense a NASCAR bike on path who pedals like they own
whole bike lane. These people dress-up like Lance Armstrong coming
from behinds
me and shouting at me "Get out of my way" or "I'm going through left."
I don't know why these biker tell me that. Why not these people slow
down? Do they have to
maintain the same speed? Amazing these NASCAR biker never slow down
and have
to bypass at same equal speed. Stupid American ****ingASS.
always
Old November 4th 08, 09:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
_[_2_]

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:47:40 -0800 (PST), KingOfTheApes
wrote:

[...]

Has it ever occurred to you that just maybe, when a motorist sounds
their horn, they're either just letting you know that they're there,
or they're letting you know that you've done something stupid and
unacceptable? (I know, I know, a cyclist being in the wrong and a
motorist being in the right? Impossible.)
Old November 4th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default Road Jihadists

wrote:
[...]

motorist being in the right? *Impossible.)- Hide quoted text -

Yes, it has occurred to me in cases where I may have been in the
wrong. But not in this case where I have been riding on the right,
just as told by the law. Well, the law says I'm a vehicle too, and yet
it tells me to walk my bike across these bridges, where I don't even
have a wide sidewalk. It's 2 1/2' wide!

But it happens all the time everywhere. They feel they own the road
and act with the conviction of a terrorist with a cause... Road
Jihadists.
Old November 4th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Originally Posted by uke
"The cars stay on the road and the bikes stay on the lanes. It really
isn't that hard to do when the lanes are well-designed.
And as DQ pointed out, cars look for and expect cyclists. That's
another perk of living in a bike-friendly city. You aren't an
anomaly."

Well, I was getting used to the idea of feeling like a freak of
nature. I even made some T-shirts that say, "I'm the black sheep...
and proud of it!"

Old November 8th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Johnny Borborigmi

On Nov 3, 6:47*pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:
Originally Posted by Basil Moss

"I imagine they are cheering me on, and wave cheerfully as they pass
by."

Either that or they are trying to intimidate you. One such beast
blasted the horn at me yesterday on the same causeway where I had a
grave incident before. And, yes they intimidate me and others, which
is why I call them terrorists.

***

You try ignore it until it gets to you, and you either crack or give
them the finger, which can lead to even worst incidents. The first
time I gave him the finger... big mistake; the second, I stood my
ground and balance, and the third time... well, there's NOT going to
be a third time because I'm sick and tired of all those bullies who
think they own the road. Yes, they really believe it!

**** the horn blowers. I give them the finger and ride on. They can
kiss my ass.

Ignore the cocksuckers. They have no lives.....
Old November 8th 08, 08:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling

In rec.bicycles.misc _ wrote:

Has it ever occurred to you that just maybe, when a motorist sounds
their horn, they're either just letting you know that they're there,
or they're letting you know that you've done something stupid and
unacceptable? (I know, I know, a cyclist being in the wrong and a
motorist being in the right? Impossible.)

Any cyclist who isn't deaf usually knows that the car is there.
Engines and tires make noise. Horn toots are completely unnecessary,
and more likely to startle than enlighten the cyclist.
Or perhaps you are referring to those paragons of courtesy who gave
me a friendly five-second toot last summer, then screamed out of their
car window the cordial greeting, "Get off the f***ing road and ride on
the sidewalk, a******!"
At the time this happened I was riding 100% legally on the wide
shoulder of a lightly-traveled two-lane road, which just a block further
along, sports bike lane signs.

Bill

__o | It is better to be silent and be thought a fool,
_`\(,_ | Than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
(_)/ (_) | --Confucius
Old November 8th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Trevor A Panther[_2_]

I wish you lot would stop cross posting to uk.rec.cycling with all this
garbage.

You will note that I have not posted this on urc!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,