99.9% of cyclists

Old January 21st 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default 99.9% of cyclists

river college wrote:
Mike Rice wrote:

On 18 Jan 2006 18:11:18 -0800, "river college"
wrote:

99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
part of the road.

So true, but don't you mean

Part of the as in roadkill . ride the bike in the bike ln. or as far to

right as can get or become roadkill/part of the road ever time i
drive by a asshole biker i blow my horn hopeing they will cut
me off so i can run them over with 18 wheels.

Gee a trucker.... Anyone else notice the 18 wheel part?

I wonder how many linehaul (long distance) truckers find a bicycle a
very handy tool, park the rig for the night, pull out the bike, and use
that to toot around town. A lot cheaper then using the truck since gas
mileage on rigs is pretty poor (5 - 8 MPG). Good way to get some
excersize, after sitting on your donkey for 8 hours.

I love to blow my horn at ass bikers horn HOHOHO MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Old January 21st 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 06:13:32 -0500, "Jeff Grippe"
wrote:

Pay attention when you hit the White Plains city limits. You will see green
"Bike Route" signs all over the place with arrows showing you which way to
go. When I give you some examples you will understand.

1. Bloomingdale Road.

No shoulder. The direct pathway to two malls. The indirect pathway to two
other malls. A direct route to I287. Heavily trafficked.

2. Mamaroneck Avenue South of Bryant Avenue

A shoulder for most of it but there are gaps. It was in just such a gap that
I had my encounter.

3. Westchester Avenue

Same problems as Bloomingdale road but even more traffic. 3 (and sometimes
4) lanes in each direction. Is this a place for bicycles?

There are bike route signs all over White Plains and from a shoulder /
traffic point of view they are consistently on the worst roads.

In many jurisdictions, bike route signs are not to designate a
particular route as a preferred route, but to remind drivers that
there may be cyclist using the road - which means that in those
jurisdictions, bike route signs are most likely along routes commonly
used by cyclists because of the point-to-point benefits of the route,
but where the road is sub optimal for cycling.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old January 24th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Richard B" wrote in message
. 3.50...
"Charles" wrote in
:

"river college" wrote in message
ups.com...
99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane that's why they become
part of the road.

What saddens me is the level of bicycle education. When I was
younger, a bicycle education seminar was virtually mandatory in
Illinois. What a shock to move to Missouri and discover people riding
against the traffic! Now they do it all the time here in Illinois,
too.

There aren't a lot of bike lanes up here either, and there just is not
a lot of room for bikes with several million cars on the road every
morning. I'm within riding distance of work now, so I need to get a
bike I can ride. I can no longer safely get my leg over the bar on
the faithful 1979 Schwinn Suburban because I broke my hip some years
ago. I've lost a bit of height as I've gotten older. I was 22 at
the time I bought it and it's a 23 inch frame. Sounds like an
upcoming spring project.

Charles of Schaumburg

This reminds me of an article, "Invisible Riders", in Bicycling
magazine, December 2005 (pg 46).

The article deals with the population of bicycle riders who must use
their bikes to go to work every day, sleet and snow, rain or shine;
these are mainly illegal aliens. It appears that riding on sidewalks
and against traffic is the cultural norm in Central American
countries and is considered safe.

I continually see these cyclists on the wrong side of the road on my
daily commute and it is true that nearly all of them appear to be of
Latin American descent. On the occasion when I have stopped to offer
help to fix a flat or make a repair they seem know little English.

Rich

I've seen all sorts of people riding against traffic now up here in
Illinois. Mostly stupid kids, that aren't going to get much older if they
keep it up.

Charles of Schaumburg

Old January 25th 06, 10:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

[...]

Fair enough. It didn't keep me from getting hit, however.

Old January 25th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 05:23:10 -0500, "Jeff Grippe"
wrote:

In many jurisdictions, bike route signs are not to designate a
particular route as a preferred route, but to remind drivers that
there may be cyclist using the road - which means that in those
jurisdictions, bike route signs are most likely along routes commonly
used by cyclists because of the point-to-point benefits of the route,
but where the road is sub optimal for cycling.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Fair enough. It didn't keep me from getting hit, however.

Expecting a sign to keep you from getting hit is not much better than
expecting a painted line only a fraction of a millimeter high to keep
you from getting hit. I didn't say I thought the signs served a major
purpose - they are too few and too easy to ignore - just that this is
what I have heard in bike advocacy meetings in Maryland and in
discussions on some of the lists.

FWIW, bike lanes won't keep you from being hit either...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old February 2nd 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Charles" wrote in
:

[...]

I rode for many years near Kankakee in Il. I rode the bike (and still do)
the same as I drive my car. I obey the lights and signs and look at every
vehicle as a threat. I have had a few that have cut me off ond one who
deliberately tried to hit me (sevral times, circling the block to do it).
The one who tried to hit me changed his toon when He came around the
blcock for another pass and found me waiting with some thing good and
solid in my hand which I used to redecorate the paint job on his vehicle.
At least in Il for the most part they do know what a shoulder is. Here in
Tennesse where I now live the shoulder consists of 6inches of pavement to
the right of the white line. Still ride it though. People are a bit more
courteous here than in the north. (Less bigotted than I have found in the
north also, despite the popular opinion)
Old February 2nd 06, 10:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"box-bb-bb-bb-car" wrote in message
. ..
"Charles" wrote in
:

[...]

Wow, they have white lines on the pavement in Tennessee. I lived in
Arkansas for over a decade and most of the roads didn't even have white
lines. What saved me is I went to college for 3 years and they had nice
roads that one could ride bikes on.

I was born in Chicago. There are bigots up here, and bigots in the South,
too. But there are a lot of nice people, too.

Charles of Schaumburg

Old February 3rd 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Charles,
Sounds like it's definitely time to get a new bike. You'd probably
enjoy biking a lot more!
I used to ride in the St. Louis area. They didn't have a lot of bike
lanes, but it was still OK,
just staying to the right. Not a lot of bike-sense by some of the
motorists though.
Jim
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Old February 3rd 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

jrei,
Not this cyclist. I avoid truckers at all costs - in or out of their
"tons of steel". I find that I can live a
longer, healthier life that way!
Jim
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Without the protection of tons of steel wrapped around you, the cyclist might just kick your ass

to hell and back!

Old February 5th 06, 10:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Charles Hoser wrote:

99.9% of cyclists do not ride in the bike lane
that's why they become part of the road.

99.9% of trolls don't know what the Hell they're talking about.