Dressing for 32-40F With Wind

Old November 10th 05, 06:22 AM

Default Dressing for 32-40F With Wind

I would like to ride at at casual pace for 5 hours daily in
temperaturers 32-45F with 15 mph wind. How should I dress to stay
comfortable all day? Are there any problems I should be aware of riding
in these temperatures such as getting too sweaty, nose running, etc.?

Old November 10th 05, 07:22 AM
Pyrtwist

There is a great variation in temp between 32 and 45 F. You need to
experiment with your layers. I just finished a 20 minute ride at 34 F.

At the high end of this range I would wear a Jersey for base layer
Long sleve jersey for the second layer.
Light breathable wind break/jacket for outer shell,
Thin pair of tights.
Head band that covers ears.
Pair of those $1 brown gloves

Closer to 32 F I would add a baclava. Possibly my Pearl Izumi winter full
finger gloves but the cheap gloves may suffice as they did tonight.

The thing to remember that as long as you are riding you generate heat and
warmth. If you stop you will cool down. If you have a rack you can carry
extra clothing or eliminate layers not needed.

Old November 10th 05, 09:53 AM
Antti Salonen

Pyrtwist wrote:

Closer to 32 F I would add a baclava.

To my experience, you only need a baclava when the ride is longer than
three hours or so. Temperature has nothing to do with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baclava

-as
Old November 10th 05, 01:38 PM
araby

wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to ride at at casual pace for 5 hours daily in
temperaturers 32-45F with 15 mph wind. How should I dress to stay
comfortable all day? Are there any problems I should be aware of riding
in these temperatures such as getting too sweaty, nose running, etc.?

I find that feet and ears are the limiting criteria. Zip on overshoes and
balaclava are good. Next to the body Polypropoline (sp?)or equivalent next
to the skin followed by a wool or equiv. layer and a breathable wind breaker
on top. My gloves are Louis Garneau two fingered "lobster" style. This
ensemble is good to several degrees below freezing although I agree that the
effect of wind chill is a factor too
Cheers,

Roy

Old November 10th 05, 03:04 PM
Claire Petersky

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are there any problems I should be aware of riding
in these temperatures such as getting too sweaty, nose running, etc.?

Carry a hankerchief for your runny nose.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old November 10th 05, 03:54 PM
Pyrtwist

I could never spell that word!

Old November 10th 05, 06:11 PM
John Everett

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:38:54 -0500, "araby" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I would like to ride at at casual pace for 5 hours daily in
temperaturers 32-45F with 15 mph wind. How should I dress to stay
comfortable all day? Are there any problems I should be aware of riding
in these temperatures such as getting too sweaty, nose running, etc.?

I find that feet and ears are the limiting criteria. Zip on overshoes and
balaclava are good. Next to the body Polypropoline (sp?)or equivalent next
to the skin followed by a wool or equiv. layer and a breathable wind breaker
on top. My gloves are Louis Garneau two fingered "lobster" style. This
ensemble is good to several degrees below freezing although I agree that the
effect of wind chill is a factor too

I'm not sure I agree with the wind chill comment. After all, we create
our own wind chill. If we're riding on an absolutely calm day we're
still going to experience a (your speed here) mph effective wind. Feet
get it even worse, since they're constantly thrashing around in the
cold air.

There's a HUGE difference between riding into a 15 mph wind and riding
with the same wind at our back. I generally plan my rides so that I'm
coming home with the wind at my back. It's then that I'm unzipping
windbreakers and/or taking off balaclavas, full fingered gloves, etc.;
but I've never noticed that it has any effect on how my feet feel.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old November 10th 05, 08:09 PM
SlowRider

Pyrtwist wrote:
There is a great variation in temp between 32 and 45 F. You need to
experiment with your layers. I just finished a 20 minute ride at 34 F.

At the high end of this range I would wear a Jersey for base layer
Long sleve jersey for the second layer.
Light breathable wind break/jacket for outer shell,
Thin pair of tights.
Head band that covers ears.
Pair of those $1 brown gloves

Closer to 32 F I would add a baclava. Possibly my Pearl Izumi winter full
finger gloves but the cheap gloves may suffice as they did tonight.

A couple of years ago my wife bought me a couple of thermal cycling
jerseys for winter riding. I love those things. It simplifies the
whole affair:

At 45F I wear a thermal long-sleeve jersey and a pair of tights.
At 32F I'd add a jacket, a headband and thermal cycling gloves.
Below 30F I switch to a balaclava and I add booties for long rides.

Below 20F I usually wimp out and ride my trainer indoors. :-)

At this time of year I also put a trunk rack on my bike and throw in
extra gear in case I get a flat or have to stop for any length of time.

-JR

Old November 10th 05, 08:28 PM
Brian Huntley

Claire Petersky wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Are there any problems I should be aware of riding
in these temperatures such as getting too sweaty, nose running, etc.?

Carry a hankerchief for your runny nose.

Cotton over-gloves.

Fighting the wind Jandra Australia 8 August 27th 05 10:02 PM
Trip Report - Philadelphia/Savannah/Milwaukee Ron Wallenfang Rides 3 August 21st 05 02:45 AM
wind meter [email protected] Techniques 40 February 20th 05 12:02 AM
Journey from the End of the World Simon Brooke UK 3 February 15th 05 08:09 AM
The wind.... David Waters UK 5 March 21st 04 02:27 AM