Seems like a good idea

Old August 22nd 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bronzie

Default Seems like a good idea

No hard sell and no axe to grind, but I saw this site ...............

http://www.roadid.com/

............ and I thought "That my boy is a good idea".

How many times am I out riding solo with no i.d. (other than a mobile
phone although not sure how much use this is) in my jersey pocket. I
do have cat collar tags on all of my bikes with saddle stuffer bags on
with my i.d. details, but then it occurred to me that if I ever did
(God forbid) get wiped out, my bike might be in too many pieces for
anyone to find it.

Got mine through in the post Saturday - I went for the wrist band.
Hope it'll never be needed, but just in case, I reckon it's $25 well
spent.

Cheers
Bronzie

PS Just in case you were wondering, I've already had the "If this bear
is found, please return him to Paddington Station" jokes from my club
mates.

Old August 22nd 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Bronzie said the following on 22/08/2006 13:58:
(other than a mobile
phone although not sure how much use this is)

It will be of more use if you follow the advice given by the ICE
campaigners - see http://tinyurl.co.uk/0qx3 for example (links to East
Anglian Ambulance Service, for the paranoid amongst you.)

Basically, one of the names in your mobile phone is ICE (In Case of
Emergency), with an appropriate phone number, such as your wife/husband
or whoever. Emergency services recognize this, and will look for it.
For more than one contact, use ICE1, ICE2 etc.

It's also cheaper than $25 :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 22nd 06, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Paul Boyd wrote:
Bronzie said the following on 22/08/2006 13:58:

(other than a mobile
phone although not sure how much use this is)

It will be of more use if you follow the advice given by the ICE
campaigners - see http://tinyurl.co.uk/0qx3 for example (links to East
Anglian Ambulance Service, for the paranoid amongst you.)

Basically, one of the names in your mobile phone is ICE (In Case of
Emergency), with an appropriate phone number, such as your wife/husband
or whoever. Emergency services recognize this, and will look for it.
For more than one contact, use ICE1, ICE2 etc.

It's also cheaper than $25 :-)

If you want to spend money, go for the "de facto"
standard - SOS talisman.

http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/

BugBear

Old August 22nd 06, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex

bugbear wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:
Bronzie said the following on 22/08/2006 13:58:

(other than a mobile
phone although not sure how much use this is)

It will be of more use if you follow the advice given by the ICE
campaigners - see http://tinyurl.co.uk/0qx3 for example (links to East
Anglian Ambulance Service, for the paranoid amongst you.)

Basically, one of the names in your mobile phone is ICE (In Case of
Emergency), with an appropriate phone number, such as your wife/husband
or whoever. Emergency services recognize this, and will look for it.
For more than one contact, use ICE1, ICE2 etc.

It's also cheaper than $25 :-)

If you want to spend money, go for the "de facto"
standard - SOS talisman.

http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/

http://www.rangelmd.com/2006/05/dnr-...nt-across.html

-Alex

Old August 22nd 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , bugbear
') wrote:

Paul Boyd wrote:
Bronzie said the following on 22/08/2006 13:58:

(other than a mobile
phone although not sure how much use this is)

It will be of more use if you follow the advice given by the ICE
campaigners - see http://tinyurl.co.uk/0qx3 for example (links to East
Anglian Ambulance Service, for the paranoid amongst you.)

Basically, one of the names in your mobile phone is ICE (In Case of
Emergency), with an appropriate phone number, such as your
wife/husband
or whoever. Emergency services recognize this, and will look for it.
For more than one contact, use ICE1, ICE2 etc.

It's also cheaper than $25 :-)

If you want to spend money, go for the "de facto"
standard - SOS talisman.

http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/

Have to say that, it it's something I might crash while wearing, I'd
prefer the RoadID one to the SOS Talisman one - much less likely to
actually /cause/ injury.

;; Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Old August 22nd 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin

In article ,
_trim says...
Paul Boyd wrote:

If you want to spend money, go for the "de facto"
standard - SOS talisman.

http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/

BugBear

I got mine when I was put on warfarin for a heart condition. I'm not on
the medication any more, but I got used to wearing it anyway, and as it
might actually be useful out on my solo bike rides, I leave it on. I
also figure that having any medical / next of kin info on you (there's a
waterproof paper strip inside) is better than the ones that have to have
their unique ID referenced to a central database.

--
Colin

Coincidence is the alibi of the Gods

(remove FOOT to reply)
Old August 22nd 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul B

Thus spake Paul Boyd:
Bronzie said the following on 22/08/2006 13:58:
(other than a mobile
phone although not sure how much use this is)

It will be of more use if you follow the advice given by the ICE
campaigners - see http://tinyurl.co.uk/0qx3 for example (links to East
Anglian Ambulance Service, for the paranoid amongst you.)

Basically, one of the names in your mobile phone is ICE (In Case of
Emergency), with an appropriate phone number, such as your
wife/husband or whoever. Emergency services recognize this, and will
look for it. For more than one contact, use ICE1, ICE2 etc.

It's also cheaper than $25 :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

NHS Donorcard is free, has a field for nearest & dearest's phone # plus
donating your bits to a freezer.

--
Basically, I hate people who preface nearly every sentence with the word
'basically'!

Old August 23rd 06, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Geraint Jones said the following on 23/08/2006 07:43:

And how much would it cost me to get a mobile phone?

No idea. Don't they come free inside Cornflake packets these days?
Anyway what's that got to do with the price of fish? The OP said that
he already has a mobile phone, so it won't cost him anything extra to
use ICE.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 23rd 06, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bronzie

grannyhalfstep wrote:
A flashy, but ultimately poor effort.
this product gives no reason why
it is better than a marked or coloured piece of paper or card in your
wallet or pocket.

Granted, the testomonials on the site are typically American (ie
********). Granted, I could laminate a piece of sticky back plastic
and keep it in a jersey pocket. Or I could write my i.d. details
across my forehead with a biro. But you seem to forget that as a
roadie, I am duty bound to squander my hard-earned on nice shiny new
bits'n'bobs every so often. ;-)

I just occurred to me that for around £14, I would actually have
something that :
a) I would actually remember to wear / take with me when I go out
b) may actually just come in useful one day (God forbid)

Like I said, I have no vested interest in this product, but I just
thought the group might appreciate if not the product itself, then the
whole idea of carrying i.d. when out on a solo ride - just in case.

Cheers
Bronzie

Old August 25th 06, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Smith

Simon Brooke wrote:

http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/

Have to say that, it it's something I might crash while wearing, I'd
prefer the RoadID one to the SOS Talisman one - much less likely to
actually /cause/ injury.

In my case an SOS Talisman nearly caused me to crash. The clasp on the
neck-chain opened, and the whole thing slipped down the inside of my
jersey, and caught in the spokes of the rear wheel.

Luckily the chain wasn't strong enough to lock up the rear wheel, and
snapped instead.

Mike

Good Idea? Llatikcuf Techniques 2 August 16th 06 04:05 AM
Is the Ergo-brain a good idea? Mark Schecter Techniques 23 May 16th 05 04:53 AM
What a good Idea [Not Responding] UK 22 April 16th 04 06:00 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM