Trek 5500 reviews?

Old June 21st 04, 07:49 PM
Rivermist

Default Trek 5500 reviews?

Am thinking about buying the Trek 5500.

Anyone have experience with that bike?

Old June 21st 04, 10:15 PM
psycholist

"Rivermist" wrote in message
news:15GBc.154761$Ly.126810@attbi_s01...
Am thinking about buying the Trek 5500.

Anyone have experience with that bike?

Nope ... nobody here.

It's the Toyota Camry of bicycles. Go on a century ride and probably 40% of
the riders are on Trek 5500s.

You can't go wrong with a Trek 5500. I've had three. I crashed one and
another got wiped out when a car hit me. They're light and durable and
handle well. The ride is stiff, but smooth. Actually, if there's one knock
on the bike, it's that the ride is a little ... dull. I didn't understand
what people meant by that until I bought a nice aluminum/carbon frame. It
just seems livelier and zippier in ways that are hard to define.

But the Trek 5500 is a very fine bike with a very fine pedigree. It's
definately a fast bike. It's also a comfortable bike for long rides. And
lastly, it's backed by Trek who, for the most part, is pretty decent to
deal with if you have warranty issues.

Bob C.

Old June 22nd 04, 12:54 AM
Larry

I had one for two years. Terrible finish. The clear coat chipped off, it
went back to Trek and the repainted it for free. Very limited choice in
colors and finishes. They can't repaint to the original unless it is in the
same year. The repainted one sucked. Left dirt under the paint, missed spots
and this paint chipped off. If you like a well finished bike look for
another brand. I sold the frame cheap went for a better finish. The ride
quality is OK but kind of soft. Go try other brands. There are quite a few
that look and ride much better. And remember Lance gets paid to ride Trek.

Old June 22nd 04, 01:29 AM
psycholist

"Rivermist" wrote in message
Am thinking about buying the Trek 5500.

Anyone have experience with that bike?

Lance won't ride with it if he can't win with it.

I'd also say the attention to the finishing process is lacking. I just
don't care much about that. The bike is a solid performer and the company
stands behind it.

One additional point ... relative to many bikes these days, the 5500 is a
decent value. That's quite relative, but I do believe they offer a lot for
the money versus many other brands.

Oh ... one more thing, still. I was with a guy on a ride a couple of weeks
ago who just got his new Project One 5900 with DA 10 speed. I know it's not
a 5500, but the paint job could be had for the 5500 as well and it was
jaw-dropping gorgeous. It was these two shades off blue with swirly
thingies and it just looked spectacular. It was about the coolest-looking
bike I've ever seen. Didn't get an up-close inspection, though.

Bob C.

Old June 22nd 04, 01:55 AM
Larry

I think a $4000.00 bike should come with a jaw-dropping paint job without
having to pay $650.00 more.
Take a closer look and see what you think. My LBS had a Madone 5.9 with a
project one finish that the customer refused because of grit under the paint
and stickers that were 13/4 off from one end to the other. And by the way
that bike cost $6400.00

Old June 22nd 04, 02:05 AM
Monty

I had a 5500 and put 18,000 miles on it. I loved the bike. Very
comfortable and fast.
This spring I sold the 5500 and bought a 5900. I have 4,800 miles on the
5900 this season. Same thing, Very comfortable and fast. I have no regrets
with either bike.

Both have beautiful finishes! Have a look:
http://nanandmont.com/ebay/b6.jpg
http://nanandmont.com/bike/2002/5900-cloud-9.jpg

Old June 22nd 04, 02:15 AM
psycholist

"Rivermist" wrote in message
[...]

You paid $4,000 for yours?!!!!??

Bob C.

Old June 22nd 04, 02:00 PM
H. M. Leary

In article 15GBc.154761$Ly.126810@attbi_s01, "Rivermist"
wrote:

Am thinking about buying the Trek 5500.

Anyone have experience with that bike?

The 5500 is an OCLV 120 frameset just like the 5200 , which IMNSHO is the best
buy for the buck.

The difference is Durace 10s versus Ultegra.

Take a look at the Calfee Luna Pro for truly custom CF.

HAND

Old June 22nd 04, 03:43 PM
Glenn Civello

Default 3rd bike questions

Hi all. My first post here. I'm looking for some good advice. I'm 6" 2"
and nearly 300 lbs... but plan on losing about 40 lbs. I have two bikes.
One is a 1993 Bridgestone G6 (26" wheels") and the other is a Specialized
("Limited") Expedition (26" wheels.) I use the Bridgestone for commuting
and the Expedition for "joy-rides." The problem with the Expedition is that
due, to the heavy front suspension forks, the bike has no "zip" to it. So
I'm considering a 3rd bike. My Bridgestone has a chromaly frame, w/o
suspension forks and I actually prefer the ride -- for long distances at
least-- to my Specialized. IMO, the aluminum frame of the Expedition makes
for a less smooth ride than could be attained if it were chromoly. But
where can one find new bicycle these days w/ a CroMo frame that's in the
price range I looking at?

What I'm looking for is a bicyle that has a CroMo frame, is $500, w/ NO
front suspension fork (but HAS seat-post suspension) has 700cm wheels, SRAM
grip shifters, and has handlebars that will allow me to ride in an upright
position (a must, due to back problems). The bike would be used on a 12
mile bike path and occasionally on the street. By the way, I'm wondering
if a 700cm wheel frame is going to be a problem because of my weight? - ( I
won't be pulling and wheelies or jumping curves)

I know that Jamis once made an Aragon (at $300) that had a CroMo frame but
it has been discontinued in favor of aluminum. Bottom line is I simply
prefer the ride of ChoMo and I'm looking for a bike that different from what
I already have. Preferably something with some zip to it. Is what I'm
looking for impossibe, in a new bike, without having it done "custom?" Sure
would apprecitate some input.

Thanks
Glenn

Old June 23rd 04, 05:31 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I know that Jamis once made an Aragon (at $300) that had a CroMo frame but
it has been discontinued in favor of aluminum. Bottom line is I simply
prefer the ride of ChoMo and I'm looking for a bike that different from

what
I already have. Preferably something with some zip to it. Is what I'm
looking for impossibe, in a new bike, without having it done "custom?"

Sure
would apprecitate some input.

In a larger-sized frame, I'm rather surprised you prefer the "ride" of a
steel frame. Why? Because, due to tubing diameters used on steel frames,
larger-sized bikes tend to be a bit flexy compared to aluminum. A
manufacturer *could* get around this, by using larger-diameter tubing, but
they generally don't due to both the expense of using a special tubeset and
the added weight. And, as has been often pointed out here, if you want a
softer ride, just go to a bigger tire.

At your price range (less than $500), you could start with a bike like the
TREK 7300FX, make whatever changes you need to, and probably still be within
your price range.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Glenn Civello" wrote in message
[...]

Trek 2300 or Cannondale R1000 or other? Roger W General 22 March 26th 04 12:44 AM
shady trek dealings Ryan Fisher General 14 February 21st 04 11:08 PM
opinions? - Trek 1000 Dhananjay Adhikari General 16 February 19th 04 05:21 PM
LeMond v. Trek Bob M General 14 July 19th 03 06:42 PM
Info on 1986 Trek 620 Mark Traphagen General 2 July 12th 03 02:59 AM