Slimming Effect of Bicycling - For Real?

Old September 20th 05, 09:39 AM
Michael Press

Default Slimming Effect of Bicycling - For Real?

In article ,
"wafflycat"
waffles*$*A**T*v21net$*££*D*O*T*co*D£$£*O*T*uk wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
I visited The Netherlands and I noticed something very interesting.
Bicycling is a major mode of transportation there and no one is fat
(actually the offical statistics say 50% less obesity than the US)I
looked in their supermarkets and restaurants and I saw no diet food.
Lots of fatty foods (such as cheeses, meats, cream sauces, etc.).
Portions were the same as the US. A theory I have is that bicycling, as
little as 5 miles a day, causes a profound slimming effect. This effect
is much greater than walking, running, swimming or other aerobic
activities (including stationary bikes?). Why? I don't know why but I
guess there is a different process going on that causes the slimming.
Has anyone else noticed this effect particular to bicycling? Are there
any studies?

Alas, if it were that simple, I'd be a catwalk model by now thanks to all
the miles I put in! In reality, I'm not. Sigh... I am, however, a d*nm sight
fitter than many a female my age

Alpha and beta epinephrine receptors on adipocytes. Read
it an weep.

http://www.drlenkravitz.com/Articles/genderdiffer.html

Excellent article. High density of interesting biochemical
facts that bear directly upon what is possible.

--
Michael Press
Old September 20th 05, 08:25 PM
gds

Michael Press wrote:
Regular activity does make a difference.

Of course it does! As has been pointed out genetics plays a big part in
establishing one's base metabolism but activity or the lack thereof can
vastly impact that base rate.

Old September 20th 05, 11:19 PM
Michael Press

In article
.com,
"gds" wrote:

Michael Press wrote:
Regular activity does make a difference.

Of course it does! As has been pointed out genetics plays a big part in
establishing one's base metabolism but activity or the lack thereof can
vastly impact that base rate.

Do not treat me like I only stated the obvious. Read the
article that I cited: the citation that you left out of
your reply.

Old September 20th 05, 11:30 PM
gds

Michael Press wrote:

Do not treat me like I only stated the obvious. Read the
article that I cited: the citation that you left out of
your reply.

I did! And it is interesting and I have no argument with it.
However, you posted it in response to my comment to another poster that
tried to separate out the ideas of metabolism vs. genetics. And my
point there simply was that there is a genetic component to metabolism.
So, I have no disagreeemnt with your point on the effect of activity on
metabolism which is not in conflict with the point I made.
Sorry if it came accross as condescending- that wasn't my intent.

Old September 24th 05, 03:42 PM
Claire Petersky

"Andy Gee" wrote in message
8.78...

But I recall now that the major point of the study was that the land
design itself was the problem, and that it could be cheaper to have more
walking and biking facilities

I attended a presentation for work about a study of home buyers conducted by
the National Association of Home Builders and the National Association of
Realtors. The study showed which amenities have the best effect on property
values. The top of the list was walking and biking paths, followed by
sidewalks, parks, playgrounds, and then proximity to shopping. So home
buyers recognize the value of these facilities, themselves. Do the
developers and urban planners?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky