High visibility vest just £1.35

Old December 9th 09, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_2_]

Default High visibility vest just £1.35

Thought this was a really good deal to help you be seen. High-visibility
safety vest down to just £1.35 delivered. A must if you cycle at night.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0920

Old December 9th 09, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Mr Benn wrote:

Thought this was a really good deal to help you be seen. High-visibility
safety vest down to just £1.35 delivered. A must if you cycle at night...

....or if you plan a motor trip to the continent.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0920

Thanks for the link.
Old December 9th 09, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Mr Benn" wrote in message
Thought this was a really good deal to help you be seen. High-visibility
safety vest down to just £1.35 delivered. A must if you cycle at night.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0920

It would be a good idea if these were compulsory for pedestrians after dark,
especially this time of year when it gets dark early and there are a lot of
people around.

The art of crossing the road seems to be a fading one. What *most* people
tend to do now is wait for a break in the traffic and then dash. If
pedestrians wore these they would be seen a lot better and might be more
confident to walk purposefully, predictably without feeling the need to get
out of the way of traffic.

Old December 9th 09, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I prefer not to rely on hi-vis in the dark as bright colours don't
really work at night. I use extra lighting rather than passive
reflectors that don't work if a car is waiting at a side street. That
said, I do have clothing which has reflective bits on it.

--
Simon Mason

Old December 10th 09, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_2_]

wrote in message
I prefer not to rely on hi-vis in the dark as bright colours don't
really work at night.

Why do road contractors wear them?

Old December 10th 09, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 10 Dec, 10:07, "Mr Benn" wrote:
wrote in message

I prefer not to rely on hi-vis in the dark as bright colours don't
really work at night.

Why do road contractors wear them?

I wear them at work as well, as someone has written it down on a bit
of paper that says we have to. Trouble is, I see so many riders in hi-
vis work's gear with no lights on or very feeble ones. I prefer to use
very powerful f+r lamps as opposed to clothing that doesn't work
unless there is a light source nearby.

--
Simon Mason

--
Simon Mason
Old December 10th 09, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jim A

Mr Benn wrote:
wrote in message
I prefer not to rely on hi-vis in the dark as bright colours don't
really work at night.

Why do road contractors wear them?

Indeed. Reflective stuff works great for oncoming traffic and light or
light/dark contrasting stuff is best generally in low light. Colour
isn't discerned easily in low light, but that's not the same thing as
brightness.

I personally think the standard hi-viz vest is best because it's light
in colour, has lots of reflective stuff and importantly is easily
recognised so it gives other road users a good sense of how far you are
away (unlike just a small red rear light). Granted it's not the most
sylish garb, but frankly if you can't be seen at all it makes no
difference whether you're wearing an Armani suit or a bin-bag.

That £1.35 vest I have to say though looks really cheap!
Old December 10th 09, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Jim A wrote:
Mr Benn wrote:
wrote in message
I prefer not to rely on hi-vis in the dark as bright colours don't
really work at night.

Why do road contractors wear them?

Indeed. Reflective stuff works great for oncoming traffic and light or
light/dark contrasting stuff is best generally in low light. Colour
isn't discerned easily in low light, but that's not the same thing as
brightness.

I personally think the standard hi-viz vest

Standard? I thought there were 3 "Standards"?
Old December 10th 09, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On 10 Dec, 18:17, Jim A wrote:
Mr Benn wrote:
wrote in message
I prefer not to rely on hi-vis in the dark as bright colours don't
really work at night.

Why do road contractors wear them?

Indeed. *Reflective stuff works great for oncoming traffic and light or
light/dark contrasting stuff is best generally in low light. *Colour
isn't discerned easily in low light, but that's not the same thing as
brightness.

I personally think the standard hi-viz vest is best because it's light
in colour, has lots of reflective stuff and importantly is easily
recognised so it gives other road users a good sense of how far you are
away (unlike just a small red rear light). *Granted it's not the most
sylish garb, but frankly if you can't be seen at all it makes no
difference whether you're wearing an Armani suit or a bin-bag.

That £1.35 vest I have to say though looks really cheap!

*************
Stay safe as the nights draw in with this vest from Craft

* Easy to fit and adjust
* Open sides don't restrict movement
*************

A vest with open sides, isn't. It's a tabard. All pedestrians should
wear a sam browne reflective or one of these during the hours of
darkness when using the highway unless they are carrying lamps, which
is unlikely. Probably folds up to matchbox size. As a cyclist you
dont need these but are an insurance if you are seperated from your
correctly lit bicycle. If you want to be seen during darkness get a
big white shirt. It will pick up ambient light which a reflaector
does not. The reflector based clothing is most useful on high speed
roads, not around town.

High Visibility Gear for Daylight Steveal UK 21 July 12th 09 07:23 PM
High Visibility Cold Weather Cycling Gear SMS General 0 December 15th 08 12:10 AM
visibility Zebee Johnstone Australia 33 July 1st 06 06:38 AM
Plain high-visibility jerseys...? Kenneth General 9 August 19th 04 05:29 AM
leeds afety high visibility clothing mike UK 1 December 11th 03 11:44 AM