Best LA 'conviction' comment so far?

Old August 24th 12, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

Default Best LA 'conviction' comment so far?

Bernard Hinault, gave his very personal view: "I don't ****ing care. It's his
problem not mine. It's a problem that should have been solved 10 or 15 years ago
and that wasn't."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fren...se-tour-titles

Old August 24th 12, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bertrand

Bernard Hinault, gave his very personal view: "I don't ****ing care.

Don't ****ing care? Hinault speaks English that eloquently?

He probably said "Je m'en fous".
Old August 24th 12, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 24/08/2012 20:27, Bertrand wrote:
Bernard Hinault, gave his very personal view: "I don't ****ing care.

Don't ****ing care? Hinault speaks English that eloquently?

He probably said "Je m'en fous".

Cycling News probably translated the quote but given who said it I suspect the
original contained the word 'baise'.

Old August 25th 12, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bertrand

Bernard Hinault, gave his very personal view: "I don't ****ing care.

Don't ****ing care? Hinault speaks English that eloquently?

He probably said "Je m'en fous".

That seems likely, yes.

Cycling News probably translated the quote but given who said it I
suspect the original contained the word 'baise'.

Less likely. I am not aware that in French, baiser is used the same way
as it is in English (that is, for everything).

The French word "baiser" is tricky. Though it does means "to ****" (but can
mean "to kiss" in some cases) it's not used the same way as "****" in
English. The all-purpose French word is "foutre". For example, the best
translation for "**** you" is "vas te faire foutre", more literally "go get
yourself ****ed". Hinault almost certainly said "Je m'en fous". I would
translate that as "I don't give a ****," but "I don't ****ing care" is also
pretty close. However, the French is not quite as strong; one can use
"foutre" a little more freely than "****".

Old August 25th 12, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 25/08/2012 16:30, Bertrand wrote:
[...]

I'm sure your linguistic analysis is correct, I'd only add that in certain
English circles sentences that don't have at least one occurrence of '****' in
them would be considered incomplete and probably not understood (or at least not
taken seriously).

Old August 25th 12, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Choppy Warburton

On Aug 24, 1:54*pm, nmp wrote:

Don't ****ing care? Hinault speaks English that eloquently? I wouldn't be
surprised, but I didn't know.

Hey NMP - we're archiving your comments whether you like it or not you
douchebag
Old August 25th 12, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Choppy Warburton

On Aug 25, 7:12*am, nmp wrote:
atriage:

Bertrand:
nmp:
atriage:

Old August 28th 12, 10:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

atriage wrote:
Bernard Hinault, gave his very personal view: "I don't ****ing care.
It's his problem not mine. It's a problem that should have been solved
10 or 15 years ago and that wasn't."

So who won the 1984 Tour ?

Old August 28th 12, 10:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
atriage[_6_]

On 28/08/2012 10:34, Simply Fred wrote:
atriage wrote:
Bernard Hinault, gave his very personal view: "I don't ****ing care.
It's his problem not mine. It's a problem that should have been solved
10 or 15 years ago and that wasn't."

So who won the 1984 Tour ?

Err let me guess, some doper or other?