Tire recommendations

Old September 12th 13, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Tire recommendations

On Thursday, 12 September 2013 02:21:16 UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:30:34 AM UTC+1, Peter Howard wrote:

However, Schwalbe Big Apple 50-622 might do. Labelled as 2.0inches. I ride

them at 60psi.

60psi? We know you're not too bright, Howard, but this is

That's certainly a pressure I am happy riding my 24 and 23mm tubulars at. Ir don't make sense to have twice the size at the same pressure. I generally pump them to 85 or 90 psi, depends on how attentive I'm being to the gauge or checking for correctly oiled nipples.

ostentatious waste as well as stupidity. Those tyres are designed to be run under 30psi when fitted to appropriate rims. At 60psi they 're just wasted. There's zero advantage to running them at such high pressure.

It's embarrassing to have to admit that some the fools one meets are also cyclists, and you're a prime example. As an Australian, in addition I find it embarrassing that a quarterwit like you is also an Australian. Couldn't you be a New Zealander instead?

Andre Jute

Oh you do like to name things, don't you?
Old September 12th 13, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Nate Nagel writes:

On 09/12/2013 01:10 AM, James wrote:
On 12/09/13 12:06, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And we've since read that the man weighs in at about 250 pounds.
(Sorry, I don't know what that is in "stone.") But given the posting
history, I'll prefer non-Jute data on rolling resistance.

437.5 grains to the ounce or 7000 grains to the pound, 16 ounces in a
pound, and 14 pounds to the stone. Sheesh - I don't even live in a
country that uses those measures anymore.

We've *never* used stones here in the YooEss, and the only common use
I've seen for grains is measuring powder for reloading rifle
cartridges and shotgun shells, although I'm sure there are others.

Grain used to be commonly used by pharmacists, eg the standard 5 gr
aspirin tablet.

Old September 12th 13, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_4_]

Andre Jute wrote:

wrote:

However, Schwalbe Big Apple 50-622 might do. Labelled as 2.0inches.

I ride

them at 60psi.

60psi? We know you're not too bright, Howard, but this is

ostentatious waste as well as stupidity. Those tyres are designed to

be run under 30psi when fitted to appropriate rims. At 60psi they
're

just wasted. There's zero advantage to running them at such high

pressure.

It's embarrassing to have to admit that some the fools one meets are

also cyclists, and you're a prime example. As an Australian, in

addition I find it embarrassing that a quarterwit like you is also
an

Australian. Couldn't you be a New Zealander instead?

Andre Jute

As usual, go **** yourself Jute.

Come now, little Howie, there's no need to bare your teeth like a
frightened monkey.You're hysterical already, before the games have
even started.

Andre Jute
Deadheading worthless weeds

I'm here for the bicycle tech, not to play games with useless trolls.

Old September 12th 13, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:51:53 PM UTC+1, thirty-six wrote:
On Thursday, 12 September 2013 02:21:16 UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:30:34 AM UTC+1, Peter Howard wrote:

However, Schwalbe Big Apple 50-622 might do. Labelled as 2.0inches. I ride

them at 60psi.

60psi? We know you're not too bright, Howard, but this is

That's certainly a pressure I am happy riding my 24 and 23mm tubulars at. Ir don't make sense to have twice the size at the same pressure.

If you're waiting for logical or technical sense from little Howie, you'll be disappointed. He's a double-thick purveyor of street corner myths, a wannabe net bully who's taken a fright from a little trip to hospital.

ostentatious waste as well as stupidity. Those tyres are designed to be run under 30psi when fitted to appropriate rims. At 60psi they 're just wasted. There's zero advantage to running them at such high pressure.

It's embarrassing to have to admit that some the fools one meets are also cyclists, and you're a prime example. As an Australian, in addition I find it embarrassing that a quarterwit like you is also an Australian. Couldn't you be a New Zealander instead?

Andre Jute

Oh you do like to name things, don't you?

In a verbal society such as ours, a thing doesn't exist until it is named. Once I describe little Howard as an impertinent peasant, everyone can see him for what he is.

Andre Jute
Old September 12th 13, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Why, little Howie, I thought you wanted to attract my attention. Aren't you the little man who started a fan club to me with a FAQ? Now suddenly, perhaps having discovered that I don't forgive and forget, and that I'm a boss psychologist who's already in your head (who do you think put you in hospital? -- subliminal suggestion is more powerful than hydraulics!), you suddenly want to be doing something else. Doesn't work like that, little man, especially for scummy wannabe netbullies like you. I shall roll over you again and again, until you're a permanent part of my tennis lawn. Underfoot, in case you missed the point.

Unsigned out of contempt for a wannabe netbully, a coward like all bullies
Old September 12th 13, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/12/2013 2:44 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

And yet, if you call a dog's tail a leg, the dog still has
only four legs. A tail is not a leg.
(Red Queen exception noted)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 12th 13, 09:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:41:08 PM UTC+1, Phil W Lee wrote:
Andre Jute considered Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:23:39

-0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:46:08 PM UTC+1, John B. wrote:

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:06:37 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski

wrote:

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:13:54 PM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:

I kid you not. The local boy racers, who of course believe the street myth of uneducated cyclists that mo' narrow tires, and mo' harder tires, are mo' betta tires, arrive at the bottom of some of my favourite hills well behind me, white around the gills, audibly grinding their teeth, their hands visibly shaking.

Of course, this is written by the man who introduced himself to this group by claiming that the great aerodynamics of his sit-up-and-beg bike allowed 60 mph on some downhill. He later amended his claim, saying it was really due to the truck driver he'd hired to fit plywood panels to the truck and let him draft, after first towing him to speed with a rope. I kid you not.

And we've since read that the man weighs in at about 250 pounds. (Sorry, I don't know what that is in "stone.") But given the posting history, I'll prefer non-Jute data on rolling resistance.

- Frank Krygowski

250 pounds - 113 Kg. One assumes that he is a virtual road rocket....

downhill.

--

Cheers,

John B.

Franki "Shevelegs" Krygowski is such a transparent liar, and gets the simplest facts wrong -- repeatedly -- so often that I'm starting to wonder if, besides being a slow learner, he isn't some sort of functional illiterate, or perhaps dyslexic.

But it's starting to look like Krygowski isn't the only insensitive slow-coach on RBT. You posted the above, which offensively assumes Krygowski got it right, seven hours after in the same thread I refuted Kyrgowski's statement:

"Once more you get it arse about end, Franki-boy. (How did they ever let someone so stupid with numbers as you teach at a college, even a college of welding?) I didn't say I weigh in at 250 pounds. I said that my bike and and I weigh near enough an eighth of a ton, a sentence deliberately crafted to catch me some clowns, and now I have: you, Sherman, Lee, the usual scumbags daily spraying schadenfreude and envy of better men over us."

Andre Jute

Yet you are apparently too innumerate to realise that 113Kg is, in

fact "near enough an eighth of a ton" - just 12Kg short, in fact, or

less than 10% short.

Of course, it may be that the linguistic challenge of working out that

"near enough" is functionally the same as "almost" is too much for

your level of (il)literacy.

And here's Krygo yes-man, Bilious Phil Lee, pitching in with his own little juvenile bit of hate-mail.

Hey, Bilious Phil, which of these masses are the same:

1. You, stark naked.

2. You in your wheelchair.

3. You and your wheelchair in a van.

It's a simple question with a simple answer for any intelligent person. When you try to avoid answering, Bilious Phil, you will prove to everyone that you are neither intelligent nor independent.

Unsigned out of contempt for a boringly unoriginal fellow-traveleler
Old September 12th 13, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 9/12/2013 3:44 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I used to think that but I've seen clear cases here where a thing's
existence is readily apparent at first glance. Naming it may let you
quantify it better but it's not necessary in order to see what it is.

Old September 12th 13, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:56:54 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I wouldn't call Howard a dog, even a mongrel. I like dogs. Howard's a slimy bully and a coward, as we can see from his whining when his victim finally gets around to hitting back. A dog is a noble animal whereas Howard is a slug on whom I shall be pouring more salt.
Old September 12th 13, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:21:36 PM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
[...]

You're right, of course, Duane. Someone has to see the thing clearly enough first to comprehend what it is so it can named. What I should have said is that "The thing doesn't exist outside our minds until it is named." We can't discuss it until we name it, except with long circumlocutions substituting for names. The more interesting question is whether naming the thing doesn't detract from our seeing it clearly, because the name brings with it a baggage-train of loaded, limiting meanings.

You know those Neanderthal rock paintings in France? We just naturally assume they're a powerful celebration of the hunt, because that is what they would be in our society. But I wonder if they aren't a pictorial aid to an as yet inadequately formed language. Sorta, "I can't tell you what this activity is, but I can show you."

Andre Jute