Tire recommendations

Old September 13th 13, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

Default Tire recommendations

On 9/11/2013 8:21 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:30:34 AM UTC+1, Peter Howard wrote:

However, Schwalbe Big Apple 50-622 might do. Labelled as 2.0inches. I ride

them at 60psi.

60psi? We know you're not too bright, Howard, but this is ostentatious waste as well as stupidity. Those tyres are designed to be run under 30psi when fitted to appropriate rims. At 60psi they 're just wasted. There's zero advantage to running them at such high pressure.

It's embarrassing to have to admit that some the fools one meets are also cyclists, and you're a prime example. As an Australian, in addition I find it embarrassing that a quarterwit like you is also an Australian. Couldn't you be a New Zealander instead?

Andre Jute

I run Schwalbe Big Apple tires at 50 psi; however, these are the ISO
50-305 size.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old September 13th 13, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 9/12/2013 6:26 PM, datakoll wrote:
this is my mommy, that's my daddy n this my little kitty cat....

and the fat man over there is a drunken Irishman.

GET A GRIP DUDE !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbrzZWLu6Qw

Nb: For Jute, not gene.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old September 13th 13, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 13/09/13 11:14, T0m $herman wrote:

I run Schwalbe Big Apple tires at 50 psi; however, these are the ISO
50-305 size.

No speed schwabbles?

--
JS
Old September 13th 13, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 9/12/2013 8:58 PM, James wrote:
On 13/09/13 11:14, T0m $herman wrote:

I run Schwalbe Big Apple tires at 50 psi; however, these are the ISO
50-305 size.

No speed schwabbles?

On a DaHon folder?

--
T0m $herm@n
Old September 13th 13, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 13/09/13 12:16, T0m $herman wrote:
On 9/12/2013 8:58 PM, James wrote:
On 13/09/13 11:14, T0m $herman wrote:

I run Schwalbe Big Apple tires at 50 psi; however, these are the ISO
50-305 size.

No speed schwabbles?

On a DaHon folder?

What about a Manila?
Old September 13th 13, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Howard[_4_]

Default Plainly, I'm more important to Jute than Jute is to me

wrote:
However, Schwalbe Big Apple 50-622 might do. Labelled as 2.0inches.
I ride them at 60psi.

60psi? We know you're not too bright, Howard, but this is
ostentatious waste as well as stupidity. Those tyres are designed to
be run under 30psi when fitted to appropriate rims. At 60psi they
're just wasted. There's zero advantage to running them at such high
pressure. It's embarrassing to have to admit that some the fools one
meets are
also cyclists, and you're a prime example. As an Australian, in
addition I find it embarrassing that a quarterwit like you is also
an Australian. Couldn't you be a New Zealander instead? Andre Jute

I run Schwalbe Big Apple tires at 50 psi; however, these are the ISO
50-305 size.

Maybe because I lost interest in playing along with his stupid games a long
time ago. However, I did get a laugh from the current thread when Frank
Krygowski reminded everyone about one of Jutes earliest lies on RBT.
I've never been sure whether the silly old fellows online persona is real or
just a cartoonish device to get attention. For those who came in late,
here's a summary of the Jute shtick.
Parts and accessories: If Jute has it, it's a wonderfully engineered piece
of kit, often an exclusive prototype made for Jute personally and the only
thing that a wealthy gentleman of taste and distinction would consider
putting on his bike. If Jute doesn't have it, it's overpriced and
unnecessary bling made by unscrupulous marketers for sale to fashion victims
who know no better.
Cycling style: Riding a sixty pound pedelec conversion to the booze shop or,
improbably, for feats of high speed derring-do around the lanes is good. Any
other sort of bike or usage is bad.
Jutes ever changing position on brakes is an instructive illustration. His
earliest modern bike had a disc brake on the front and it was of course
powerful, fade free, and a fitting adjunct to Jute's high speed cycling.
When he got bored with that bike, the new one had Shimano roller brakes all
round and they were the best thing ever. Discs were dangerous, unpredictable
and non-progressive. Caliper brakes were exposed to damp and grit and wore
out rims. Jute's very paradigm of cycling virtue, a hypothetical and frugal
Dutchman pedalling 5km to work every day would never stand for a bike that
might need replacement rims after fifteen years.
On his very latest klunker, he could not have roller brakes so he was forced
to accept rim brakes. They are just like disc brakes with the whole wheel
being the very large disc. Strangely, we hear nothing from Jute about rim
wear or how his Dutchman won't tolerate it.
Jute's a fool. I've accepted that and moved on.

Old September 13th 13, 01:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

WE ALL look forward or maybe backwards to a valuable material contribution from Jute....

Your BS lacks humor, too heavy, ponderous,

Try reading McManus

when I figure why people write back to you, I may discover something worthwhile abt human nature.
Old September 13th 13, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I'm very happy too see, Howie, that you're such an earnest student of my bicycles over the last dozen or so years, and the components I select for them, to the extent of copying my well-informed tyre choice of the Big Apples for your own dustbin-rescue bike. (I always say, Bring back global warming; it encourages the little people to scavenge.) Hundreds of people have followed me there, and written me grateful notes, but I must say, I didn't expect you and Liddell Tommi to have the common sense to choose and follow the right opinion-former. Congratulations. Now, since you apparently have no idea of the engineering behind the choices, and the implications of the choices, among them the proper pressure inside Big Apples, if only you would follow me all the way down to 2 bar, you will actually get value out of those Big Apples, rather than just using them as an expensive fashion accessory. Wouldn't you like people to stop laughing at you behind your back? Just continue aping me, and soon it will happen for you too.

Andre Jute
Old September 13th 13, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/10/2013 4:00 PM, Andre Jute wrote:

For puncture proofing you want a belted tire. It's another stupid, wrong myth that an anti-intrusion belt makes a tire harsh-riding. All the most comfortable proper tires I know are banded.

What you want to bring out the 29er character of your bike, which is clearly compromised by 50psi pressure in your tires (who told the jerk who specified high pressure tires for a 29er that he could be a designer -- his mommy?), is a fat, treadless, low-pressure tire. I use the 60x622 Big Apple Liteskins with the Ultraleich tube, which saves more weight than a complete set of skinny tires... The problem with proper 29er tires on proper 29er rims is that they're heavy. But once you have them rolling, they keep rolling. For more on the subject by me and others, see http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/...ic=3798.0;wap2

Low pressure is in the order of 2 bar, about 29psi. Even Chalo Colina, who weighs well north of 300 pounds, rode his Big Apples about there. My bike and I are about 130kg in day-ride trim with full water bottles, and I let my Big Apples go down to 1.5 bar on the approach to the monthly pump-up to 2 bar, and there are no ill effects. That's serious comfort already, and that's on very badly potholed roads, through which I crash at full speed, so, at least in theory, I could go lower.

40 psi is fine for Big Apples on junky roads. There's no real upside in
going above 40 psi. Extensive tests have been done with the Big Apple at
different pressures. At 60 psi the ride was so jarring that accessories
started being ejected, like water bottles and cycle computers.

Old September 13th 13, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, September 13, 2013 10:47:32 AM UTC-4, sms wrote:

40 psi is fine for Big Apples on junky roads. There's no real upside in
going above 40 psi. Extensive tests have been done with the Big Apple at
different pressures. At 60 psi the ride was so jarring that accessories
started being ejected, like water bottles and cycle computers.

.... and Chinese flashlights.

[Sorry, I couldn't resist!]

- Frank Krygowski