Active Ankles with KH trials

Old September 18th 03, 06:17 AM
gerblefranklin

Default Active Ankles with KH trials

Ken Fuchs wrote:
*danger_uni wrote:

Note- the protuberance on the KH crank arms that seems to bash some
people's ankle bones has now been removed, so it shouldn't be a

problem
on any of the KH unicycles that were recently shipped to the
Unicycle.com franchises.

For those that have the uni right now, bigger pedals help a lot,

as
does individual riding style (some people don't have a problem with

this
lip for whatever reason). If it's bothering you then it is possible

grind it off, although you need to be careful not to cut into the

weld
or heat the crank arm up too much.

Wet grinding would be the best process to use in removing this
troublesome lip. Wet grinding will remove material without heating
up
the object (crank) and thus leaves the hardening of the object
(crank)
unchanged. Wet grinding is simply grinding with a wet grinding
surface
via the application of water, water and a soluble additive or water
and
grains or flakes of a special material.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs
*

You might want to make sure that you use a bench grinder that's
specified for wet grinding, though. Those things can give some powerful
jolts.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

Old September 18th 03, 03:39 PM
Ken Fuchs

Default Wet grinding uni parts [was Active Ankles with KH trials]

U-Turn wrote:

When I lived in Upstate New York I met a guy who had restored an old wet
grinding wheel and used it to sharpen knives and the like. The large
disk-shaped stone (say, 2.5' diameter) dipped in water somehow as it
turned (I forget exactly how) and was rotated at a low speed to help
keep the heat buildup to a minimum.

Wet grinding wheels are often used for sharpening knifes, since one
definitely doesn't want to heat up a knife and thus change its hardness.

Wet grinding wheels are also great for grinding unicycle parts which one
doesn't usually want to change the hardness of.

An alternate to a grinding wheel designed for wet grinding is using a
regular grinding wheel and dipping the part to be ground in a water
bucket every second or two. The longer one waits between successive
grinds, the less the part will heat up and leave hardness alone.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs