Is it just me, or...

Old July 7th 04, 06:06 AM
Gemma Kernich

Default Is it just me, or...

"hippy" wrote in message
Originally posted by jazmo I've listened to some of the live broadcasts
on the internet and find this to be the case.

I tried OLNTV's website last night for its live audio broadcast, AFTER
the race had started and it was just some yank saying "Welcome to
OLNTV's live.. blah blah" over and over and over and over and over and
over and then I killed the feed.

What's the go with that?

keep the connection open, it started around 10;30 - 11pm central time live.
Everytime I try to connect once they are definately broadcasting I can't get
a connection - too busy!
Race finished around 1;20 central.
Cheers
Gemma (sleepy)

Old July 7th 04, 07:00 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Stu They were saying last night that there was
a slight climb to the finish, and that would be bad for the two
riders off the front. I would have thought(and I could be wrong)
that the steeper the climb to the finish the better for the guys out
front. am I right?

Yeah, because the slower speed up the hill means that the peloton's
aerodynamic benefit from being 'bunched' is reduced.

You'd also have slower 'climbers' getting in the way of the faster guys.
Although it was just a slight rise, not a hill, right? so the benefit
would be small.

hippy

Old July 7th 04, 08:15 AM
jazmo

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by Stu They were saying last night that there was
a slight climb to the finish, and that would be bad for the two
riders off the front. I would have thought(and I could be wrong)
that the steeper the climb to the finish the better for the guys out
front. am I right?

Yeah, because the slower speed up the hill means that the peloton's
aerodynamic benefit from being 'bunched' is reduced.
You'd also have slower 'climbers' getting in the way of the faster guys.
Although it was just a slight rise, not a hill, right? so the benefit
would be small.
hippy

IMO. if a 2 man breakaway has been away for a while and they reach a
hill, there's going to be a lot of fresher legs in the peleton that
will be able to chase them down.

Old July 7th 04, 12:21 PM
chickasmith

As someone has said in all posts, you cannot just pick up on one piece of
audio over coverage that spans to something over three hours.

Sure, they do seem to be struggling or say some bizarre thing in some point
of the commentary, but you have to remember whilst they are watching the
broadcast, they are also listening to "radio tour" (which is not in their
first language) and listening to their producers at the same time. So in
effect, they are doing three things at once - announcing, listening, and
watching.

Now we all know that it is diffcult to do more than one thing at a time
(especially for us males), but to do all this, whilst being professional
commentators must be difficult and that is why those two are at the top of
the (english speaking) tree at least by a long long way - no one comes close
to their tandem.

Liggett (Mr) has been on tour since 1972 and I would think that at Tour
2007, may be his last and what a loss it would be to cycling broadcasting.
At the same time though, it would be an honour to follow in his footsteps,
however these shoes would be enormous to fill.

I'll have a go, but I dont think I could do it so professionally or so well

"flyingdutch" wrote in message
Is Phil Liggett's commentary getting a touch lame!

doesnt know riders names like he used to at a glance, stops halfway thru
sentences and loses what he was saying

Maybe i should apply. Anyone wanna be my 'straightman/woman' ?

Old July 8th 04, 12:00 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Gemma Kernich keep the connection open, it started
around 10;30 - 11pm

Cheers GK! I left the feed going and sure enough coverage of the TTT
started at 10.45pm Melbourne time.

It was quite funny to listen to them when they were going to a break or
something because they seemed to forget that a mic was still going..
even the producers(or similar?) were babbling about stuff..

My favourite quote from last night's broadcast:

"Now we've got 4mins to air right?" "So I can go to a quick loo loo?"

hippy
- now a permanent OLN listener and tired/grumpy prick.. ;-)

Old July 8th 04, 12:15 AM
flyingdutch

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by Gemma Kernich keep the connection open, it started
around 10;30 - 11pm

Cheers GK! I left the feed going and sure enough coverage of the TTT
started at 10.45pm Melbourne time.
It was quite funny to listen to them when they were going to a break or
something because they seemed to forget that a mic was still going..
even the producers(or similar?) were babbling about stuff..
My favourite quote from last night's broadcast:
"Now we've got 4mins to air right?" "So I can go to a quick loo loo?"
hippy
- now a permanent OLN listener and tired/grumpy prick.. ;-)

wot's the link to that? promise i wont slow down the feed, honest...

Old July 8th 04, 01:00 AM
hippy

flyingdutch wrote:
wot's the link to that? promise i wont slow down the feed, honest...

Better not! ;-)

http://www.letour.com/2004/us/index.html points to
http://ww2.olntv.com/tdf04/listenlive.html

hippy