The most important thing about bikes

Old July 8th 04, 01:11 AM
Marty Wallace

Default The most important thing about bikes

"kingsley" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.07.07.53.13.801780@maddogsbreakfa st.com.au...
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:26:51 +1000, LAN Support wrote:

Everyone should own at least one orange bike. It's what Merckx rode...

I was in Cheeky Monkey the other day, and they had some new
Birdy's in. Colours: Black, something and Orange. I said something
to the affect that the bike is nice, but why'd they paint it
bloody orange, it being one of those in-between colours and
not very striking.

Another guy in the shop pointed out that Dave(?), who I was
talking too, indeed had an orange pride & joy... very embarassment.

-kt

My race bike before my Bianchi coloured bike was orange. It was a 54 cm
frame and always felt a bit too big for some reason, I ride a 53 cm now,
funny how 1 cm makes so much difference.
The bike previous to that was a Softride and I got sick of comments like
"don't you bounce up and down all the time" so I decided to get a normal
frame. My brother had an old frame that had the seatpost stuck in it. I took
it home and clamped the seat post in a vice and with nothing to lose managed
to work it loose. Nearly twisted the vice off the bench but it came out. I
rubbed it back and painted it flouro orange. Actually, the front was fluoro
green and it gradually changed to flouro orange on the rear.
It's like the shift in the light spectrum due to the doppler effect when a
galaxy comes hurtling towards you and then changes to a lower frequency
light as it moves away from you. ( Suzy would know all about that.) Anyway,
the idea was to be bright so as to be seen by car drivers. The green faded
to a sort of yellowy /orange after a while. Flouro colours seem to suffer
from fading. I ended up giving the bike away to someone but can't remember
who.

Marty

Old July 8th 04, 01:13 AM
Marty Wallace

"hippy" wrote in message
Originally posted by Kingsley I reckon you should be able to get your
bike painted in the reflective white stuff used on roads.

That'd just be asking for people to drive over you...

boom tish splat!

hippy

--

If you got yourself painted with two continuous stripes they'd never
overtake you.

Marty

Old July 8th 04, 02:45 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Marty Wallace
If you got yourself painted with two continuous stripes they'd never
overtake you.

Drivers obey those lines around you?

I still reckon blue and red flashing paint would be good. The only other
thing that makes motorists take notice is a car crash paint scheme!
They'd all be on the brakes, struggling to get a glimpse of the carnage
that's.. "just a bloody bike!"

hippy
- driver duper