looking for a truing stand!

Old October 15th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ilosttheotherwheel

Default looking for a truing stand!

well my dad wants to buy a truing stand and doesnt know which kind to
get. so any suggetions?

--
ilosttheotherwheel
ilosttheotherwheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12841

Old October 15th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

ilosttheotherwheel wrote:
well my dad wants to buy a truing stand and doesnt know which kind to
get. so any suggetions?

a rim truing stand?
i wish i knew

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

-last edited by \"your mom\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Old October 15th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mboulanger

If your dad likes good tools I'd go for something from Park. I
personally have a Minoura Workmate- it ia all right and the chinese ==
English instructions that come in the box are pretty funny but the
stand itself is a bit cheesy.

--
mboulanger

All things unicycle get better the more time you spend riding- Wheel
Rider
mboulanger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9642

Old October 15th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicyclepa

park if its for bicycle wheels. but if your using it for a uni wheel
than just use the frame and a zip tye

--
unicyclepa

www.unicyclepa.com
we suck
but its all good
team YAMS member in your sig or title and say
unicyclepa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9246

Old October 16th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

'Here.' (http://tinyurl.com/yl9hjt)
It's the Park Tool TS-2 Professional Truing Stand. I just got one, and
it's rock solid. The reason it's the best is because it dishes
automatically, and you can true radially and laterally at the same
time. It's the only one I could find that did all that.

The above link is to Colorado Cyclist, who sells them for like $179,
though I got mine on sale for $169. The best part is though, that if
you don't live in Colorado, there's no sales tax!

--
onelesscar

"It's f*$%^*g raining!"
"Well, is it f*$%^*g or is it raining?"

"That car was -melting-????"
onelesscar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11127

Old October 16th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

if it is for a bike, i have no idea.
for a unicycle use a pencil tape and the frame.

--
torkerdx

their are 2 types of unicyclist. ones who can suck it up and go for
things and ones who can't. guess which ones become good?

some people live a hundred years without truly living 1second
torkerdx's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12543

Old October 16th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
markf

your LBS can help you, and get you a nice Park Tools stand. they're
pretty much the best for what they do. there are some others that are
okay too, but park is kinda the standard.

--
markf

'irwinsbikes.com' (http://www.irwinsbikes.com)
markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

Old October 16th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

I think it's ridiculous to spend a lot of money on a truing stand for a
unicycle wheel. The Park stand won't hold a unicycle wheel in a way
that will allow you to true it properly.

(And frankly, I don't think Park tools are very well made anyway).

Just turn the unicycle upside down and eyeball it. Tape a popsicle
stick to the fork if you really want to.

--
tholub

Old October 16th 06, 06:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

tholub wrote:
I think it's ridiculous to spend a lot of money on a truing stand for a
unicycle wheel. The Park stand won't hold a unicycle wheel in a way
that will allow you to true it properly.

(And frankly, I don't think Park tools are very well made anyway).

Just turn the unicycle upside down and eyeball it. Tape a popsicle
stick to the fork if you really want to.

Thats it really.

Uni frames are their own truing stands.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/) KH Funds =
$244/$487.37

Old October 16th 06, 09:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

markf wrote:
your LBS can help you, and get you a nice Park Tools stand.

I looked into that too, but ordering through my LBS would've cost like
$250.

tholub wrote:
The Park stand won't hold a unicycle wheel in a way that will allow you
to true it properly.

Not unless you jerry-rig it like I did... I take the frame off, and
rest the bearings on the truing stand fork, like as if the truing stand
was the uni frame. Then, I took an old bike tube ( ) and used it
like a rubber band around the truing stand and over the bearings to
hold it on (one for each side). Works great!

tholub wrote:
(And frankly, I don't think Park tools are very well made anyway).

That's a whole 'nother can of worms ... I think they are great, if a
little expensive. Oh, and some of them are a little pointless, like the
chain wear guides for bikes (just use a ruler...).