29" or coker?

Old September 19th 03, 05:45 AM
myocardial

Default 29" or coker?

I'd like to add a couple coker questions too:

How do you die hard commuters handle stoplights/signs? Idle, dismount,
or just run the thing? Almost every road here in Santa Barbara has a
bike lane but that means you have to stop at the light.

I have a short inseam and long torso, am I going to be able to ride one
of these things? Is anyone going to have one at the CA MUNI Weekend
that I could try out?

matt

--
myocardial - Tattooed One Wheeler
myocardial's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3468

Old September 19th 03, 05:51 AM
pjenkins00

hi. first post. i'm from the boston area and am a short time lurker.
anyways i've been going through the same dilemma. only mine's worse
because i also want a trials uni but i really need to satisfy my craving
for speed. basically i've decided that i'm going to get a coker for the
reasons that Sofa said: i don't want to get a 29 and be always wanting
more, plus if i do get a coker and don't like it i can always sell it. i
really don't see that happening though. the other reason i decided on
the coker is because you can continually get better at it. the more you
ride it the better you get. i like that. plus they don't have the yuni
29ers in stock at unicycle.com anymore yeah, i figure it might be a
pain to transport but what the hell, i like attention (don't we all)

Pete

btw: if anyone from around boston wants to do some riding or something
email me (remove _NOSPAM_) (damn webbots)

--
pjenkins00
pjenkins00's Profile:

Old September 19th 03, 05:53 AM
jagur

myocardial wrote:
*Is anyone going to have one at the CA MUNI Weekend that I could try
out? *

im 100% sure muddycycle will have his KoKer there.the back of his truck
is like a unicycle holding tank,they go where he goes

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gall...x_flipped.gif]

Old September 19th 03, 07:11 AM
duaner

myocardial wrote:
*How do you die hard commuters handle stoplights/signs? Idle,
dismount, or just run the thing?*

I hate 'unnecessary' dismounting. So dismounting is my last choice.
I've only been riding the Coker for a few weeks now, but never not yet
in areas with stoplights. At stop signs, I either roll through them or
dismount

Although I can idle 'forever' on a 20 or 24, I cannot idle on the Coker
at all (2.5 cycles is my best to date). Admittedly, I've only really
tried idling it a few dozen times, but still, it is substantially
harder/different to idle. It seems like you can 'stand' on one pedal
and it slowly begins to change direction, as soon as it starts rolling
the new direction get the weight off that foot and get ready to stand on
the other. The Coker is also so big / massive, that I'd be shy to idle
it in close proximity to pedestrians until I had it very good control.
I'm using 6" cranks, I expect idling it would be even more challanging
with shorter cranks.

--
duaner - -
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old September 19th 03, 08:24 AM
GizmoDuck

duaner wrote:
*

[...]

Have you tried just hopping up and down? Works for me although it looks
quite ridiculous to motorists

If I'm riding on the road I stick with the road rules. I'd never ride
through a red light. It can't be good to be 'that' unicyclist that
ignores traffic laws.

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

"I'll be there with bells on!"
Tony on the NZUni weekend

"right thats it im dressing up like a woman!"
James on the NZuni weekend

"If not for a weird inner ear condition that prevents me from crossing
the equator, I'd be there too."
JJuggle- the most original excuse not to attend the NZUni weekend

"At least if someone hurts themselves, Ken should be able to fix them up
with brain surgery on the spot if he brings a scalpel and some
bandages."
Rowan- on my surgical skills

Old September 19th 03, 08:38 AM
Rowan

GizmoDuck wrote:
*If I'm riding on the road I stick with the road rules. I'd never
ride through a red light. It can't be good to be 'that' unicyclist
that ignores traffic laws. *

I don't mind being 'that' unicyclist. I quite often run red lights, but
only when there is no traffic coming, and usually at night time when no
one is around. I pretend I am a pedestrian, and go up on the pavement
and cross from there, that way the light doesn't apply to me quite as
much. You could spend ages waiting at lights that are triggered by the
weight of cars rather than timers. People probably think I am being
dangerous. Oh well if I get run over it will be one less danger on the
roads.

--
Rowan - •·.·´¯`·.·•
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old September 19th 03, 08:53 AM
duaner

GizmoDuck wrote:
*Have you tried just hopping up and down? Works for me although it
looks quite ridiculous to motorists
*

What is hopping like on a Coker?

Interesting idea, but it won't work for me (yet). Though I can idle
pretty well, I'm just now learning hopping - just tonite I managed to
hop over a 2x4, and gapped 2+ feet (of flat concrete), but have yet to
ever hop up a curb (partly because there are no curbs around)

Old September 19th 03, 12:17 PM
Sofa

GizmoDuck wrote:
*

*

Because I can mount and dismount gracefully and perfectly every single
time I get on, and can mavourve through the tightest of places, I have
no issues with getting off at lights. I'd rather get off then hop,
idle, or hang on to a traffic light.

I always like walking across and upon hitting the other side hopping on
and taking off as fast as I can. I'm always really happy, as I am not
riding a little kid's toy.

--
Sofa - King of TUni

'You're perfect Sofa!' - Scott (via 'Michael Moore'
(http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html) parser )
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706