How Much Glue?

Old September 29th 05, 02:19 AM
Rod

Default How Much Glue?

I'm in the process of mounting my first set of tubulars. For the most
part everything I've read indicates that I should be able to do a
wheelset with a single tube of glue.

So far I've used a full tube on one wheel. I've applied a base coat
using a acid brush to a new tire and rim that was stripped of all the
old glue, a second coat to both and the mounting coat.

Did I use too much glue?

--
Thx,
-rod
Old September 29th 05, 03:22 AM
Chalo

Rod wrote:
I'm in the process of mounting my first set of tubulars. For the most
part everything I've read indicates that I should be able to do a
wheelset with a single tube of glue.

Nah, you should hose that sucker down with glue, the more the better.
Pour it on-- better yet, dip the whole wheel and tire in it. Try
roofing asphalt if you can't get your hands on enough rim cement.

Then, while the glue is good and tacky, wrap up that 1970s-era bull****
in a moth-eaten 1970s-era hippie poncho, and relinquish them both to
the care of your local sanitation department. You'll be glad you did.

Chalo Colina

Old September 29th 05, 03:32 AM
Pat

:
: Nah, you should hose that sucker down with glue, the more the better.
: Pour it on-- better yet, dip the whole wheel and tire in it. Try
: roofing asphalt if you can't get your hands on enough rim cement.
:
: Then, while the glue is good and tacky, wrap up that 1970s-era bull****
: in a moth-eaten 1970s-era hippie poncho, and relinquish them both to
: the care of your local sanitation department. You'll be glad you did.
:
:
: Chalo Colina

I thought I was going to learn about mounting a tubular and I learned
something else entirely.
Next time, tell us how you really feel about it. Don't be timid. LOL

Pat in TX
:

Old September 29th 05, 02:07 PM

Chalo wrote:
...wrap up that 1970s-era bull****

Hey Chalo, I think you missed it by about a century.

For me, a tube of Clement was the standard for one wheel (tire & rim).
Am now using a can of Conti so am adjusting my portions. Just going for
a thin layer from edge to edge. Seems to stick pretty well.

Greg Hall

Old October 1st 05, 05:10 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Chalo wrote:
Rod wrote:
I'm in the process of mounting my first set of tubulars. For the most
part everything I've read indicates that I should be able to do a
wheelset with a single tube of glue.

Nah, you should hose that sucker down with glue, the more the better.
Pour it on-- better yet, dip the whole wheel and tire in it. Try
roofing asphalt if you can't get your hands on enough rim cement.

Then, while the glue is good and tacky, wrap up that 1970s-era bull****
in a moth-eaten 1970s-era hippie poncho, and relinquish them both to
the care of your local sanitation department. You'll be glad you did.

Chalo Colina

geee, wondering how many posts it would take to slam tubulars...thanks
for not disappointing me Chalo...by throwing your own bull**** into the
game and ignoring this option for many who ride them, for their obvious
(to most everybodys except to you) advantages.

How about reading and suggesting, and giving good suggestions or just
not sayinmg anything if ya want to just spew...there are forums for BS
and misinformation.

Old October 1st 05, 11:34 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 1 Oct 2005 09:10:48 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:

geee, wondering how many posts it would take to slam tubulars...thanks
for not disappointing me Chalo...by throwing your own bull**** into the
game and ignoring this option for many who ride them, for their obvious
(to most everybodys except to you) advantages.

How about reading and suggesting, and giving good suggestions or just
not sayinmg anything if ya want to just spew...there are forums for BS
and misinformation.

"besides, clinchers are for nancys" ?

Beam in thine eye, etc.

Jasper
Old October 3rd 05, 12:05 AM
Chalo

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

geee, wondering how many posts it would take to slam tubulars...thanks
for not disappointing me Chalo...by throwing your own bull**** into the
game and ignoring this option for many who ride them, for their obvious
(to most everybodys except to you) advantages.

Advantages?

While for somebody with a strange fetish to indulge, having to deal
with a messy, smelly fluid might be considered an "advantage", for
normal riders, tubies have no advantages.

Would you consider it an advantage if you had a guitar whose strings
had to be glued in place? Or a jacket whose liner had to be ripped out
when you needed to wash it, and sewed back in afterwards?

How about reading and suggesting, and giving good suggestions or just
not sayinmg anything if ya want to just spew...

"Throw them away" is the best practical advice anybody could possibly
get about tubies. Using them is like tying flies or building a ship in
a bottle-- it's for folks who celebrate their free time and disposable
income by wasting them doing things that can be done faster, cheaper,
and better in another way. Tubies wouldn't be worth their purchase
price even if they were free, because of the time-consuming and toxic
chore it is just to do a routine tire change with them.

Consider this-- even Rivendell geeks, who luxuriate in things like
lacquering their bar tape or rubbing ointments into their leather
saddles and accessories, generally don't use tubies-- because they
value practical tires that ride well and last a long time!

It's OK if you want to waste your time and your customers' money on
tubies, but calling the best practical advice you can get "spew" is
simply mistaken.

Chalo Colina

Old October 3rd 05, 04:59 AM
Dan

"Chalo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Okay buddy, you are now fair game. Do you know the difference between a fact
and an opinion? From now on, every time you express an opinion (or ask a
stupid question) I hope one of us rips you a new asshole.

Old October 3rd 05, 06:12 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Dan wrote:
"Chalo" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Can you define "reasonable" in this context of tires?

It's a shame you didn't add anything to the discussion.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old October 3rd 05, 01:46 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Chalo wrote:
[...]

I guess it's their and my time and money to waste. Are you sure you're
not really Jobst in another body? I think 'myth and lore' is on the tip
of your tongue. BTW, why are you messing with the century old thing
called a 'double triangle bicycle frame'? I think a recumbent out there
has your name all over it. I'd doubt you'd break cranks and frames on a
'bent'.

Tubular rim glue ??? Trackie Techniques 141 February 5th 05 05:39 AM
getting a tubular off the rim quickly peet9471 Techniques 15 December 23rd 04 10:19 PM
ARRRRRGH [email protected] Techniques 8 April 29th 04 11:39 PM
Ron Hardin: Frozen patch glue Pete Hickey General 2 January 11th 04 02:42 AM