Problem with Litespeed Titanium Seatpost Clamp / set screw

Old March 13th 11, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Problem with Litespeed Titanium Seatpost Clamp / set screw

On Mar 13, 10:34 am, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 03/13/2011 01:25 PM, Dan O wrote:

On Mar 13, 9:44 am, wrote:
On Mar 12, 12:18 pm, Doug wrote:

I cannot seem to tighten the clamp on my seatpost enough so that it
does not slip (rotate). Even the set screw does not keep it from
slipping so the seat will tilt when I hit a bump. Extremely annoying.

I was thinking of trying to rough up the surfaces somehow or inserting
a thin layer of rubber or sandpaper. Any suggestions?

img src="http://members.cox.net/julie.taylor/Litespeed_Seatpost.JPG"

Get a Kalloy post for $20. Strong, cheap, and not so much the third
thing, but it won't **** you off.

The one that came stock on my LHT complete bike wouldn't hold the
saddle angle - ****ed me off. So I replaced it with the Laprade from
my '86 Trek 400 - problem solved.

hah. If that's anything like the post on my '84 620, it's a chunky
beast. But, as you say, I don't worry about it at all.

The LHT is not especially lightweight to begin with. By the time I
load up panniers with lunch and work clothes, fill two water bottles,
then throw my big man purse full of tools and what not over my
shoulder and climb on, the extra weight of the seatpost (which was
already laying around in the garage) is well worth the reliability.
Yep, no worries - I'm happy with it.
Old March 13th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

On Mar 13, 9:44 am, wrote:
On Mar 12, 12:18 pm, Doug wrote:

[...]

You don't have to get a heavy seatpost to solve the OP problem (not
holding the tilt). This is really a stupid design and if I look at the
picture it is even a bad implementation.

Lou
Old March 13th 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 13, 9:44 am, wrote:
On Mar 12, 12:18 pm, Doug wrote:

[...]

It was just laying around in the garage, bored to tears (yes, I'm
anthropomorphic that way about things that I love :-)

Old March 13th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 13, 9:44 am, * wrote:
On Mar 12, 12:18 pm, Doug * wrote:

[...]

The difference in seatpost weights is remarkably small, often just
100g between a high zoot CFRP model and a Kalloy Laprade. One should
get the model with the least annoying clamp. My favorite are the two
bolt versions. A cheap and cheerful one of that design came on my
Redline.

Old March 13th 11, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

On Mar 13, 9:44 am, wrote:
On Mar 12, 12:18 pm, Doug wrote:

[...]

I meant that OP problem is not strength/weight. It is the design.

Lou
Old March 13th 11, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 13, 9:44 am, * * wrote:
On Mar 12, 12:18 pm, Doug * * wrote:

[...]

Set screws usually are bad news anywhere on a bicycle. Eccentric BBs
being the worst offenders.