gummy grips - twist gear shifts.

Old October 29th 07, 09:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_2_]

Default gummy grips - twist gear shifts.

We have a Trek 240 MTB, 24 inch wheels about 5 years old. It has twist gear change at the hand grips.

The grips have gone a bit gummy (with age and exposure I guess).

Is there any simple way to deal with this?

Tom.
Old October 30th 07, 07:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2007-10-29, Tomasso wrote:
We have a Trek 240 MTB, 24 inch wheels about 5 years old. It has twist gear change at the hand grips.

The grips have gone a bit gummy (with age and exposure I guess).

Is there any simple way to deal with this?

Tom.

Replace the grips. Shouldn't cost a lot, you'll need to shorten them as
the grip shifts take of handle bar space.

Better quality grip will last longer but any soft rubber grip will go
gummy over time.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
| Affordable second hand bikes
(03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centre
www.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction
Old November 1st 07, 02:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Tomasso wrote:
We have a Trek 240 MTB, 24 inch wheels about 5 years old. It has twist gear change at the hand grips.

The grips have gone a bit gummy (with age and exposure I guess).

Is there any simple way to deal with this?

The simplest way would be to wear gloves with full fingers, but in my
experience the only real solution is replacement.

If you want a cheap replacement Clark Rubber sell various types of
rubber hose that will work OK, but obviously don't give you closed
ends on the handlebars.

BTH

Old November 1st 07, 03:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
mikeg[_11_]

Tomasso Wrote:
We have a Trek 240 MTB, 24 inch wheels about 5 years old. It has twist
gear change at the hand grips.

The grips have gone a bit gummy (with age and exposure I guess).

Is there any simple way to deal with this?

Tom.

What needs replacing, the twistgrip grips or the handle bar grips?

Mike

--
mikeg