Campy chain - are they kidding?

Old March 12th 04, 11:03 PM
richard

Default Campy chain - are they kidding?

Somehow, I ended up at the Campy site and read instructions for the 10-spd
chain. Besides their tool (I do like the way it locks things into place!),
the pin is two-piece, and they claim the chain has a definite right and
left side. Furthermore, the chain must be installed by pushing in the pin
from beneath the BB. Finally, if you remove the chain, you need to cut out
7 link pieces and replace this string with their special 7-link section
(and two more 2-piece pins).

After reading all this, do they expect anyone except professional team
mechanics to buy their tool and chain and go through this?
Old March 13th 04, 12:37 AM
Jim Flom

Konex makes a perfectly good 10-speed chain for much less. It also has a
right and left side but is very easy to install (no pin to push per se). I
misinstalled it the first time around and it shifted fine but left me with a
bit of a hop in the chain in the smallest cog until Peter Chisolm suggested
I reverse the master link.

Jim Flom

6.16...

Old March 13th 04, 01:04 AM
Antti Salonen

Jim Flom wrote:

Konex makes a perfectly good 10-speed chain for much less.

That would be the "ConneX" chain by Wippermann.

-as
Old March 13th 04, 02:51 AM
Jim Flom

"Antti Salonen" wrote ...

That would be the "ConneX" chain by Wippermann.

Indeed.

Old March 13th 04, 01:55 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

richard- Besides their tool (I do like the way it locks things into place!),
the pin is two-piece, and they claim the chain has a definite right and
left side. Furthermore, the chain must be installed by pushing in the pin
from beneath the BB. Finally, if you remove the chain, you need to cut out
7 link pieces and replace this string with their special 7-link section
(and two more 2-piece pins).

After reading all this, do they expect anyone except professional team
mechanics to buy their tool and chain and go through this? BRBR

Well in reality, you don't need the 'tool', just like you didn't need the
'teams' change chains more than they clean them and if they do, i am sure they
use a snaplink, like the connex one.

For you-install the pin, when it comes to cleaning, buy a snap link OR get a
Connex chain to start with...

Use a well made chaintool, push the pin in straight. All that is unique about
the Campagnolo tool(I have one) is tht it has little push thru gizmo that holds
the plates stable while you push the pin thru. It doubles as a really nice
chaintool.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old March 14th 04, 01:24 AM
A Muzi

richard wrote:

Somehow, I ended up at the Campy site and read instructions for the 10-spd
chain. Besides their tool (I do like the way it locks things into place!),
the pin is two-piece, and they claim the chain has a definite right and
left side. Furthermore, the chain must be installed by pushing in the pin
from beneath the BB. Finally, if you remove the chain, you need to cut out
7 link pieces and replace this string with their special 7-link section
(and two more 2-piece pins).

After reading all this, do they expect anyone except professional team
mechanics to buy their tool and chain and go through this?

We build a lot of Campagnolo equipped bikes - more than any
shop of my acquaintance. We don't use their chain at all.

I keep one each model in stock and sell under ten a year
over the counter.

We're building with KMC mostly and we love them. Nice
snaplink. We also use Wippermann and SRAM chain.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old March 15th 04, 07:54 AM
Andrew Price

A Muzi wrote ...
We build a lot of Campagnolo equipped bikes - more than any
shop of my acquaintance. We don't use their chain at all.

Agree the others are better but the real problem with the Campy chain is the
lousy link.
Change to a Connex and its a liveable solution - just make sure it goes on
the right way up.

best, Andrew (who didn't get to use his 11 until he learnt which was up)

Old March 15th 04, 02:04 PM
Paul Kopit

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:54:38 GMT, "Andrew Price"
wrote:

Change to a Connex and its a liveable solution - just make sure it goes on
the right way up.

I've had good luck with the IRD 10sp chain which also comes with a
link. I use Shimano 9sp chain and Sram Powerlink II and that works
fine too.
Old March 17th 04, 03:35 AM
A Muzi

A Muzi wrote ...

Andrew Price wrote:
Agree the others are better but the real problem with the Campy chain is the
lousy link.
Change to a Connex and its a liveable solution - just make sure it goes on
the right way up.

I have to say I don't understand Wippermann's instructions
about reversing the snaplink for use with an 11t cog.

I mean, it is symmetric so what could change?
In the same vein, what's up with this?

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/shim10cn.jpg

I really cannot understand what could make any difference
with the chain joint one way or the other