Backpack for dsy long mt bike ride?

Old March 8th 11, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Backpack for dsy long mt bike ride?

Any thoughts or advice on a backpack for a day or
longer my bike ride?

I'm kinda thinking of Deuter since it has some "air"
between you and sweaty back.... but have never owned
Deuter before

Any thoughts on features that are hand, nice?
Old March 8th 11, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

wrote:

Any thoughts or advice on a backpack for a day or
longer my bike ride?

My advice? Don't wear a backpack; you don't have to. Any backpack
will be hot and uncomfortable and will increase your fatigue. Put
whatever you need to carry on the bike. Carrying a backpack while
riding a bike makes as much sense as putting your groceries in a
backpack as you push an empty shopping cart through the store.

If your bike is dorky and won't mount normal racks, use Old Man
Mountain racks, or use a Carradice seat bag mounted on the seat or the
bars.

Chalo
Old March 9th 11, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 8, 6:24*pm, Chalo wrote:
wrote:

Any thoughts or advice on a backpack for a day or
longer my bike ride?

My advice? *Don't wear a backpack; you don't have to. *Any backpack
will be hot and uncomfortable and will increase your fatigue. *Put
whatever you need to carry on the bike. *Carrying a backpack while
riding a bike makes as much sense as putting your groceries in a
backpack as you push an empty shopping cart through the store.

I second that. Besides being sweatier, the backpack is apt to be more
wiggly and less stable than weight on the bike. And the load on the
backpack adds to the load on the saddle, which can't be great for
comfort. And for off-road riding, you'll have to lift that weight
every time you get out of the saddle.

All this might be acceptable if your load is tiny - but why not just
put it on the bike?

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 9th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Chalo:
My advice? Don't wear a backpack; you don't have to. Any backpack
will be hot and uncomfortable and will increase your fatigue. Put
whatever you need to carry on the bike. Carrying a backpack while
riding a bike makes as much sense as putting your groceries in a
backpack as you push an empty shopping cart through the store.

+1

Tried the backpack/waistpack route for a nummber of years,
finally got a rack/trunk bag/pannier bag and wouldn't think of
going back.
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 9th 11, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Duane Hebert wrote:

How much volume do you need?

well for mt bike riding not much probably....clothes,
food, etc

but Id also like to use it as a book pack for colege
classes .... so need room for a few texts and supplies
in that scenario
Old March 9th 11, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Mar 8, 5:36*pm, wrote:
Duane Hebert wrote:
How much volume do you need?

well for mt bike riding not much probably....clothes,
food, etc

but Id also like to use it as a book pack for colege
classes .... so need room for a few texts and supplies
in that scenario

I vote in favor of a pack for off road biking although I don't have a
specific model recommendation. A chest strap is one mandatory feature
for stability, but is also very common.

In contrast to riding on the road, off road you move the bike around A
LOT. Keeping weight off the bike is the way to go. Weight on the bike
can make it very hard to handle if you have to walk (for example on a
steep hill) or if you have to carry the bike.
And when you stand, weight on your back is added to the pedal force.
None of this is to say that riding with a pack is EASY or without
issues. It's just easier overall than than having the weight on the
bike itself.

DR
Old March 9th 11, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 8, 4:53 pm, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Mar 8, 5:36 pm, wrote:

Duane Hebert wrote:
[...]

I like my messenger bag. Yeah, it's sweaty, but columinous,
versatile, keeps weight low and close to my body, stays in place
remarkably well, doesn't restirict my arms, and doesn't affect
handling like anything directly attached to the bike.

Old March 9th 11, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

out in normal environments, that is not Texas, a backpack rides
without inconvienience but yes does caws some sweat moisture like it's
on your back what do you expect ? A/C-6 spkr FM SAT-moonroof- ?

keeping it on the back greatly eliminates unwanted polar moment
steering. The usual off road frame was not designed for adding
weights: search that one.

I used one in south Florida for several years. Cotton T's are a far
greater inconveinience than a DAY PACK. Go poly with 10-20% cotton or
all poly.

The Kelty DAY PACK used here holds maybe 7- loaves of bread. two rows.
then if balloned, a stove, Kalishnikoff, the usual. Plus tools, tire
repair....no big deal.

and when you go into wherever the stuff goes with you not on the
chained bike.