Backpack for dsy long mt bike ride?

Old March 10th 11, 08:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Backpack for dsy long mt bike ride?

mike wrote:

I use an older model - pretty similar to the Trans Alpine 26 or 30.
Similarly, I recommend it as a very comfortable low-medium volume
hiking, or medium-high volume off-road mtb pack.

yeah have been looking at that model too

do you think it is a bit big for a day pack though?
hard to tell from a picture

I don't really know how much "volume" I need
Old March 10th 11, 09:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RobertH

On Mar 8, 5:14 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I second that. Besides being sweatier, the backpack is apt to be more
wiggly and less stable than weight on the bike. And the load on the
backpack adds to the load on the saddle, which can't be great for
comfort. And for off-road riding, you'll have to lift that weight
every time you get out of the saddle.

All this might be acceptable if your load is tiny - but why not just
put it on the bike?

Refer to DirtRoadie post #4 above.

Old March 10th 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil W Lee wrote:

What's wrong with the traditional saddlebag?

because I don't want a saddlebag maybe?
Old March 10th 11, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Mar 10, 10:55*am, Phil W Lee wrote:
Sir Ridesalot considered Wed, 9 Mar 2011
13:24:06 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

On Mar 9, 10:00*am, wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
After reading DirtRoadie's post, I realized that my switchover to
rack/trunk bag/pannier bag was coincident with my switching from
an FS and primarily dirt riding to a rigid bike and primarily
pavement (or at least smooth surface) riding.

no problem

I have moved right next to Mark Twain National Forest
and they have many dirt trails and fire roads for off
road riding

I'm buying a 29er soon and looking at backpack for said
riding... small pack just enough to carry clothes and
lunch

Hi there.

For just a change of light clothes and a lunch perhaps you could get
away with using a large handlebar bag mounted on the seatpost with by
threadless stem and short length of handlebar.

Here's a link to one I adapted to my bike:http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/211357083/

Another alternative could be a seatpost mounted rack with a small
trunk bag on it. My trunk bag is insulated and with a frozen bottle of
water it keeps sandwiches cold for quite a few hours in the summer @
80 to 90 degrees F outside temperatures.

What's wrong with the traditional saddlebag?
Available in a huge range of sizes from about 7 litres (http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php...der=range&prod...
) to 24 (http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php...der=range&prod...
), to suit a wide variety of load requirements.

I expect you would not be asking such a question if you had ever
ridden a "mountain bike" off-road.

An example to save 1000 words:
http://bit.ly/dXztax
http://www.penhall.co.uk/assests/images/
mountain_bike_descent_at_coed_y_brenin.jpg

DR
Old March 10th 11, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

SD rider with a knee replacement and a Specialized Expedition told me
about:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...d58b365f31109e
Old March 10th 11, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

http://www.campmor.com/gear/packs.sh...26&pageSize=24

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___90290

2000 Cubic Inches is ok for a normal size rider over 5’10”

Prob avoid zippered side pockets

http://www.bgcycles.com/
Old March 11th 11, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

kolldata wrote:

2000 Cubic Inches is ok for a normal size rider over 5’10”

Prob avoid zippered side pockets

thanks on size

yes Id like for the pack to have VERY clean "lines"

not any "doodads" hanging all over the place to get
caught on something

Gonna get over to REL and look at the Deuters see what
I think

2000 inches cubed sounds like a lot but probably isn't
for a day ride or hike huh?
Old March 11th 11, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TÂșm ShermÂȘnℱ °_°[_2_]

Default Backpack for day long mt bike ride?

On 3/10/2011 11:55 AM, Phil W Lee wrote:
[...]
What's wrong with the traditional saddlebag?[...]

Saddlebags do not work on proper modern bicycles with real seats instead
of saddles.

--
TÂșm ShermÂȘn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.