10-speed Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace

Old March 28th 05, 11:35 PM
Bill Lloyd

Default 10-speed Ultegra vs. Dura-Ace

On 2005-03-27 22:21:00 -0800, A Muzi said:

Steve Sr. wrote:

I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
only, no wheels.
Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
their higher end groups. What do you think?

Chorus is superior in every way IMHO and cheaper too.

To Dura Ace? Give me a ****ing break.

Old March 29th 05, 01:39 AM
Jeff Starr

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 14:35:12 -0800, Bill Lloyd

On 2005-03-27 22:21:00 -0800, A Muzi said:

Chorus is superior in every way IMHO and cheaper too.

To Dura Ace? Give me a ****ing break.

Perhaps you could elaborate on the above statement?

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old March 29th 05, 01:39 AM
araby

"Steve Sr." wrote in message
I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
only, no wheels.

Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
their higher end groups. What do you think?

I assume that you are considering ultra high mileage otherwise reliability
and durability issues don't really come into it. All their current range has
both attributes although the high end stuff would probably eventually last
longer.
Why just Shimano? If durability and reliability is really a factor,
Campagnolo stuff is renowned for its durability. I have a Victory derailleur
and crank assembly on one of my bikes that is starting its eighteenth
season. It still seems as good as new with approx 30000km on it -and the
Victory group was the second cheapest in the range. I replaced the ball
bearings in the B/B about four years ago and that was only because I was
moving it onto another bike and had it stripped down. .

Regards,

Roy

Old March 29th 05, 02:43 AM
Mark Hickey

On 2005-03-27 22:21:00 -0800, A Muzi said:

Steve Sr. wrote:

I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
only, no wheels.
Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
their higher end groups. What do you think?

Chorus is superior in every way IMHO and cheaper too.

To Dura Ace? Give me a ****ing break.

Sorry, if you want it to break, you have to stick with Dura Ace.

Mark "ducking and running" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Old March 29th 05, 02:55 AM
Rangersfan

"Steve Sr." wrote in message
I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
only, no wheels.

Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
their higher end groups. What do you think?

My understanding between the differences is, pretty much where you see Ti on
the Dura-Ace, you see alloy on the Ultegra. Where you see alloy on the
Dura-Ace, you'll see plastic on the Ultegra.

Ultegra was updated, I believe in 2005. Some of the changes include
outboard bearings on the bottom bracket, an integrated spindle, and more
ergodynamic shifters (like the Dura-Ace). Prior to 2005, I don't believe
they were 10-spd either. Just something to think about if you find a 2004
or earlier Ultegra bike on sale.

Old March 29th 05, 03:03 AM
Tom Sherman

A Muzi wrote:

Steve Sr. wrote:

I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
only, no wheels.
Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
their higher end groups. What do you think?

Chorus is superior in every way IMHO and cheaper too.

Can I get Shimano stickers to cover up the Campagnolo logos at no
additional charge?

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 29th 05, 04:02 AM
Bob Wheeler

Steve Sr. wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:21:00 -0600, A Muzi
wrote:

Steve Sr. wrote:

I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
only, no wheels.

Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
their higher end groups. What do you think?

Chorus is superior in every way IMHO and cheaper too.

Yea, right! :-) Unfrotunately I have 2 other bikes with Shimano which
my brain has successfully adapted to use. It would be forever confused
with the Campy levers that work backwards and require your thumb!

Steve

Backwards -- have you ever used a Campy? I have both Shimano and Campy
on my bikes and have no trouble. On both, shifting to a larger sprocket
requires essentially the same hand movement. The only difference is in
shifting to a smaller sprocket, but it is a minor difference. The Campy
thumb lever is slightly more convenient, in my opinion, and has the
advantage of guarding the computer buttons from unwanted presses.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---
Old March 29th 05, 02:41 PM
Mark Hickey

Tom Sherman wrote:

A Muzi wrote:

Chorus is superior in every way IMHO and cheaper too.

Can I get Shimano stickers to cover up the Campagnolo logos at no
additional charge?

Careful Tom - it may be the Shimano decals that cause the rattle!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old March 29th 05, 03:00 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

On 2005-03-27 22:21:00 -0800, A Muzi said:

Steve Sr. wrote:

I am considering a component group for a new road bike. Are there any
real advantages for the Dura-Ace group over Ultegra except a little
bit of weight reduction? I am talking brakes and a triple drive train
only, no wheels.
Is Dura-Ace more reliable / durable that the Ultegra group? I know
that Shimano sometimes uses better materials i.e. sealed bearings in
their higher end groups. What do you think?

Chorus is superior in every way IMHO and cheaper too.

To Dura Ace? Give me a ****ing break.

No break required. Chorus, with more durable/better levers, rear der,
similar hub design to DA(took them 5 years to get it) , MUCH better
front der design, is on par or 'better' than DA for less money.
Old March 29th 05, 03:05 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Rangersfan wrote:

My understanding between the differences is, pretty much where you see Ti on
the Dura-Ace, you see alloy on the Ultegra. Where you see alloy on the
Dura-Ace, you'll see plastic on the Ultegra.

Ultegra was updated, I believe in 2005. Some of the changes include
outboard bearings on the bottom bracket, an integrated spindle, and more
ergodynamic shifters (like the Dura-Ace). Prior to 2005, I don't believe
they were 10-spd either. Just something to think about if you find a 2004
or earlier Ultegra bike on sale.

There is no 'ti' on DA 10s except for the largest 4 cogs. There was no
Ti on DA 9s except for the freehub body and last 3 cogs.