VELIB in London. miraculous advance in science mooted.

Old February 13th 09, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

Default VELIB in London. miraculous advance in science mooted.

More chuffing knobbery:

Boris insists on safe cycling for bike hire scheme.

The bikes will have automatic lights which go on as soon as the rider
starts pedalling.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...eme/article.do

Automatic lights!

That go on as soon as the cyclist pedals!!!!

You'd think there was a shorter way to describe such a magical advance
in science.

Maybe the bikes will also come fitted with a small metallic dome that
could be pinged to make an audible warning noise?
Old February 13th 09, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
lardyninja

spindrift wrote, On 13/02/2009 12:29:

I hope they come with toroidal polymer pressurised gas enclosures for
efficient interface with external surfaces.

LN

--

Professor of Madeupology at the
University of Myhouse

Old February 13th 09, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

spindrift wrote:
More chuffing knobbery:

Boris insists on safe cycling for bike hire scheme.

The bikes will have automatic lights which go on as soon as the rider
starts pedalling.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...eme/article.do

Automatic lights!

That go on as soon as the cyclist pedals!!!!

I presume they will have bottom bracket dynamos then.
I would have thought hub dynamos would be better though.

You'd think there was a shorter way to describe such a magical advance
in science.

You must remember, that this article is not aimed at people who know
what a bottom bracket dynamo is, this is aimed at the general public.

Martin.
Old February 14th 09, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 23:31:05 +0000, Martin
wrote:

spindrift wrote:
More chuffing knobbery:

Boris insists on safe cycling for bike hire scheme.

The bikes will have automatic lights which go on as soon as the rider
starts pedalling.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...eme/article.do

Automatic lights!

That go on as soon as the cyclist pedals!!!!

I presume they will have bottom bracket dynamos then.
I would have thought hub dynamos would be better though.

Assuming the wheels move as soon as the rider pedals, a hub dynamo
would have the same effect.

I notice one comment on the article refers to mandatory helmets. Is
this really a requirement?
Old February 14th 09, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 00:02:52 +0000, Peter Grange
said in
:

I notice one comment on the article refers to mandatory helmets. Is
this really a requirement?

A few RSOs and the usual suspects are pressing for that, but the
scheme's backers have rightly pointed out to them that it would be
completely unworkable. There is talk of a code of practice which
may or may not include that, but last I heard the scheme was going
to hand out a leaflet with the bikes which gives safety advice from
a number of sources, including CTC and BHRF, so it is likely that
they will ultimately go with Plan A which was to encourage people to
cycle rather than to discourage people from cycling other than in
the way which a subset of people consider "right".

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
Old February 14th 09, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 10:02:42 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 00:02:52 +0000, Peter Grange
said in
:

I notice one comment on the article refers to mandatory helmets. Is
this really a requirement?

A few RSOs and the usual suspects are pressing for that, but the
scheme's backers have rightly pointed out to them that it would be
completely unworkable. There is talk of a code of practice which
may or may not include that, but last I heard the scheme was going
to hand out a leaflet with the bikes which gives safety advice from
a number of sources, including CTC and BHRF, so it is likely that
they will ultimately go with Plan A which was to encourage people to
cycle rather than to discourage people from cycling other than in
the way which a subset of people consider "right".

Guy

Thanks for that, I couldn't see a helmet neing added to the handbag
just in case one wanted to use one of Boris's Bikes.

We need a name for Boris's Bikes really. Borisicle?
Old February 14th 09, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 00:02:52 +0000, Peter Grange
said in
:

I notice one comment on the article refers to mandatory helmets. Is
this really a requirement?

A few RSOs and the usual suspects are pressing for that, but the
scheme's backers have rightly pointed out to them that it would be
completely unworkable. There is talk of a code of practice which
may or may not include that, but last I heard the scheme was going
to hand out a leaflet with the bikes which gives safety advice from
a number of sources, including CTC and BHRF,

I love the way that you use the BHRF as if it is some authoritative
body - it isn't.

British Helmet Research Foundation - my arse.

" an incorporated body with an international membership" - my word it
is a grand body.

I see that they claim: "to undertake, encourage, and spread the
scientific study of the use of bicycle helmets, in the context of risk
compensation and sustainable transport".
(As long as the studies try and show helmets in a poor light)

Most odd - they were set up to promote the message:

"Message: Helmets are not beneficial to cyclists (unless the evidence
forces us to a dramatically different conclusion.)"

Is this their message now? Reading their pages - it most certainly
is.

BHRF - well the B can't stand for balance:

Just have a look at their links:

19 papers listed on evidence supportive of cycle helmets

57 papers sceptical of helmet effectiveness or promotion.

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy

Old February 16th 09, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin Reed

wrote:

[...]

I guess it depends on who makes them. Giant blond mop? Dawes - locked out
of front... Political Carrera is on the slide?

Velib for London lardyninja UK 7 November 28th 08 11:16 AM
Apologies in advance Bret Wade[_2_] Racing 1 October 29th 08 01:24 AM
Velib coming to London! spindrift UK 5 September 12th 08 11:32 AM
Velib to Hit London? Artemisia[_2_] UK 4 August 10th 07 05:36 PM
Advance stop lines Matt B UK 166 September 25th 05 09:21 AM