Newbie !

Old January 24th 05, 05:34 AM
-Terry-

Default Newbie !

Good evening ! I'm new to this group and have so far found the info
and stories more than interesting and enlightening.
I cycle in and around s/west Pa. { pgh. area } weather permitting. A
time ago i thought myself to be a decent long distance rider { solo },
but a remarriage and a few years age wise, have done that in to a point.
I hope to rekindle the interest of long distance riding.
~ Terry ~

Old January 24th 05, 07:57 PM
Raptor

-Terry- wrote:
Good evening ! I'm new to this group and have so far found the info
and stories more than interesting and enlightening.
I cycle in and around s/west Pa. { pgh. area } weather permitting. A
time ago i thought myself to be a decent long distance rider { solo },
but a remarriage and a few years age wise, have done that in to a point.
I hope to rekindle the interest of long distance riding.
~ Terry ~

You're not a newbie.

Good luck. You might think about taking some indoor cycling classes at a
gym. They make those first hills (or headwinds) of the season faster, if
not easier. Yes, they're only 45 minutes (most of them), but that's 45
minutes of intense riding you can do every day.

Or not.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Old January 25th 05, 04:28 PM
Colorado Bicycler

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

If countries' leaders had to be at the head of the line of soldiers
when attacking or declaring war, there would be no wars.

Old January 26th 05, 01:29 AM
Claire Petersky

You should also take a look at rec.bicycles.misc, if you haven't already.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

I'm doing the Big Climb for my friend Dena! See:
http://www.active.com/donations/camp...?key=cpetersky

Old January 26th 05, 12:09 PM
-Terry-

Thanks Claire and Lynn. As to rec.bicycles.misc; i've tried and can't
access it. { puter challenged } I have a trainer i've used that got me
going on those weeks [ months ] before the season kicked in. But alas, i
bought a sail boat ten years ago, and well talk about a meditative state
one can fall into, try sailing.... Given the option tho, it was and will
remain the 'bike' that i would NOT do without. I've checked out your
site Claire and was very impressed. Thanks for offering 'it' up to the
masses !
~Terry~
Riding a :
Trek hybrid 520
Trek 2120
touring/performance

Old January 27th 05, 01:58 AM
Claire Petersky

"-Terry-" wrote in message
Thanks Claire and Lynn. As to rec.bicycles.misc; i've tried and can't
access it. { puter challenged }

I don't know much about webtv, but I don't know why it would be any harder
to get to than rec.bicycles.rides, and it has a lot more traffic.

I've checked out your
site Claire and was very impressed.

You are most kind. It is a project for my Copious Free Time to completely
revamp it. There's too many dead and broken links on it -- it really needs a
serious overhaul.

Old January 28th 05, 02:24 AM
NY Rides

I've checked out your site Claire and was very impressed.

I, too, visited your site after reading Terry's post. 'Good piece of
encouragement for any "newbie!"

Old January 28th 05, 01:44 PM
Roy Zipris

Greeting from the other end of the Commonwealth, Terry. I too had
problems accessing all the Google news groups after the new format was
implemented. I think I have this right: from the Google home page,
click on "groups" and log in or whatever it's called. With some
noodling around, maybe through "my groups," you can select the various
NGs you want, including misc and tech. Once I did that, I could both
read and post, as in former days. --Roy Zipris

Old March 1st 05, 02:30 AM
jyatsko

Terry,
Check out www.dcnr.state.pa.us web site and check out the rails to trails.
You have great trail in your back yard. It runs from Pittsburgh south to
Meyersdale (about 13 miles shy of the Maryland border). I've rode from the
Maryland border north to Boston. I camped over at Ohiopyle State Park. It's
a great trail. My wife and I are from Indiana, Pa and ride it a lot over
the summer.
Todd