"stabilizing" a stratus?

Old July 18th 04, 11:58 PM
Edward Dolan

Default "stabilizing" a stratus?

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message
news:jsCKc.111427$MB3.4303@attbi_s04...

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message
newsswKc.87610$WX.49747@attbi_s51...
[...]
Wal-Mart may sell bikes with perfect trail but I doubt many will last

100
miles or more, again which specific brand and model bike are you

complaining
about? I should think this would be a simple question to answer. I own

2
and
have ridden maybe 10 and have yet to find a complaint with how they

steer,
comfort yes but never steer

I am ****ed off before I even start because you have not put a period at

the
end of your sentence above. Is this your idea of how to alienate people

and
make enemies?

It oddly only seems to bother you so therefore the correct word would be
"person" instead of "people"

It bothers all educated people. Only fellow morons like yourself who never
got beyond the 8th grade are not bothered by it.

I have several clunker upright bikes that are even worse than what

Wal-Mart
is now selling and they will last a life time if not abused and a

certain
amount of minimum maintenance is performed at regular intervals. The

main
problem with almost all bikes that the kids get regardless of original
quality is that they abuse them and do not take care of them.

Lets see now, you apparently possess 12 ill-handling recumbents and now
several junk DF bikes, odd how such a genius could collect garbage like

that

None of it is garbage. Only elitist fools and snobs like yourself who have
more money than brains think you have got to pay thousands of dollars to get
a bike that is going to work just fine. But that is probably your way with
everything in life. You get what you pay for - right?

As to my recumbents, I would say that the Vision set up SWB has too much
twitchiness (not enough trail). Even set up LWB with OSS it is still too
twitchy. I have two other SWB's and the Kowal also has too much
twitchiness. The Turner SWB is just the opposite. It seems to have too

much
trail. I have given up on SWB altogether.

My RANS V2 has too much tiller to suit me as does the RANS Tailwind. My
Tailwind (a very early version) is also too twitchy. At slow speeds too

much
tiller and too much twitchyness is a pain in the you know what. My

Infinity
is also too twitchy. The Tour Easy has got it right. If the trail and

the
tiller are not right, the bike will not handle as well as it should. All
uprights solved these questions over a hundred years ago. It is not

possible
to get a bad upright with respect to these very elementary design

factors.

Don't read off of web pages, I'm referring to bikes you really own but

I'll
bite anyway

Did you not see these things (being the genius) before you purchased them?

Trail and tiller do not have to be perfect for me as I am now telling you
for the third time. Other things matter more to me when it comes to a
recumbent - like comfort and fun.

This is not to say that all recumbents are nor rideable even if trail

and
tiller are not perfect. I can ride them all and have ridden very many of
them (except for the latest high racers and low racers). All recumbents
should be designed with optimum trail and optimum tiller for the vast
majority of cyclists just like uprights are. Then they would all handle
pretty much the same regardless of their individual configurations

(frame
designs). Or so it seems to me.

Welp with 12 ill-handling recumbents so far I doubt you could be satisfied
with anything at this point

The perfect recumbent has yet to be made. It may be that there is something
fundamentally wrong with the recumbent design itself which can never be
gotten around. Ideally, a recumbent ought to handle just as well as an
upright, but minus all the pain that goes with an upright. However, this may
be rocket science after all and recumbent designers and builders do not fall
into that category of intelligence, at least not the last time I looked.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 19th 04, 12:27 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

The perfect recumbent has yet to be made. It may be that there is something
fundamentally wrong with the recumbent design itself which can never be
gotten around. Ideally, a recumbent ought to handle just as well as an
upright, but minus all the pain that goes with an upright. However, this may
be rocket science after all and recumbent designers and builders do not fall
into that category of intelligence, at least not the last time I looked.

Based on his work background in aerospace engineering, Tim Brummer
(Lightning Cycle Dynamics) could qualify as a "rocket scientist".

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 19th 04, 02:51 AM
Mark Leuck

I figured you couldn't tell me, fact is you don't know

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

As to proper trail and tiller, that is not my business. I do not design
recumbents nor do I manufacture them. I only buy them and ride them. That

is
most likely all that 99% of us on this newsgroup do too - including you!

Who
cares what you and I think about bicycle design anymore than anyone should
care what we think about nuclear physics or getting to the Moon. We can

only
know what works for us and what doesn't work for us.

Old July 19th 04, 03:46 AM
Edward Dolan

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message

I figured you couldn't tell me, fact is you don't know

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

As to proper trail and tiller, that is not my business. I do not design
recumbents nor do I manufacture them. I only buy them and ride them.

That
is
most likely all that 99% of us on this newsgroup do too - including you!

Who
cares what you and I think about bicycle design anymore than anyone

should
care what we think about nuclear physics or getting to the Moon. We can

only
know what works for us and what doesn't work for us.

The real facts are that you are an idiot who is now top posting and who does
not know how to punctuate. Maybe you and this other idiot Bil could get
together and celebrate your common stupidity.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old July 19th 04, 04:02 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

The perfect recumbent has yet to be made. It may be that there is

something
fundamentally wrong with the recumbent design itself which can never be
gotten around. Ideally, a recumbent ought to handle just as well as an
upright, but minus all the pain that goes with an upright. However, this

may
be rocket science after all and recumbent designers and builders do not

fall
into that category of intelligence, at least not the last time I looked.

Based on his work background in aerospace engineering, Tim Brummer
(Lightning Cycle Dynamics) could qualify as a "rocket scientist".

I have ridden the P-38 on several occasions and it always feels like my legs
are coming back into my gut (this was many years ago when I had no gut to
speak of). This may be just an adjustment problem but I think the very
upright seat combined with the relatively high BB contributes to this. The
main thing wrong with the P-38 has always been its exorbitant price. But
overall I have never been impressed with the P-38. The one thing I will say
for his company is that it has the social skills of rocket scientists - who
are known for being nerds and for being cantankerous.

--
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 10th 04, 08:38 PM
johnson..

Hi
Don't know if this will work for a stratus but it worked for my
tailwind. I installed an underseat rack and panniers. It has lowered the
centre of gravity. I used to carry my work stuff in a camelbak peak bagger
on the seat back.

"Mile High Skates" wrote in message
I recently "inherited" my wife's Stratus. It's a 2001 model (I think),

standard
size, and box-stock except for XT cranks (170mm, 26/36/48) and Calhoun Evo

Sport
bars/stem. The seat is about 1" from being all the way back, so I'm sure

that the
weight distribution is less-than-optimal.

Aside from getting an XL Stratus (whic hain't gonna happen), can anyone

recommend
ways to make the front end feel "less light" (i.e., MORE stable)? I'm

going to
remove the bottle cages from the seat and try mounting them/one forward,

and maybe
find a more forward position for my spare/tool pouch.

Thanks in advance.