Ultimatef tying and soldering

Old November 9th 11, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Ultimatef tying and soldering

What has been seen cannot be unseen:
http://www.sterba-bike.cz/fotka/4579...msfoto?lang=EN

http://www.sterba-bike.cz/media/foto...2ca9057ee4.jpg

Think of the fuss and time involved!

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 9th 11, 12:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DWC_TT

On Nov 8, 5:43*pm, wrote:
What has been seen cannot be unseen:
*http://www.sterba-bike.cz/fotka/4579...msfoto?lang=EN

http://www.sterba-bike.cz/media/foto...b368f9dd22ca90...

Think of the fuss and time involved!

A bit tedious but I don't suspect it would be outrageously so,
especially if any single procedure (like soldering) was done all at
once. I note the wires seem slack. Any idea what's at the other end
of each wire?
DR

Old November 9th 11, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 16:50:39 -0800 (PST), DWC_TT
wrote:

On Nov 8, 5:43*pm, wrote:
What has been seen cannot be unseen:
*http://www.sterba-bike.cz/fotka/4579...msfoto?lang=EN

http://www.sterba-bike.cz/media/foto...b368f9dd22ca90...

Think of the fuss and time involved!

A bit tedious but I don't suspect it would be outrageously so,
especially if any single procedure (like soldering) was done all at
once. I note the wires seem slack. Any idea what's at the other end
of each wire?
DR

Dear DR,

More of the same unspeakable technology:
http://www.sterba-bike.cz/fotka/4578...msfoto?lang=EN
http://www.sterba-bike.cz/media/foto...551d1af8a4.jpg

You'd hardly expect a nicely threaded spoke nipple or flared head at
the other end.

But look again at how close each "spoke" is to the next on the hub and
how much fuss and time must have been spent wrapping each wire so
closely around itself, right next to another finished wi

Old November 9th 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DWC_TT

*http://www.sterba-bike.cz/fotka/4578...eac236f4e551d1...

You'd hardly expect a nicely threaded spoke nipple or flared head at
the other end.

But look again at how close each "spoke" is to the next on the hub and
how much fuss and time must have been spent wrapping each wire so
closely around itself, right next to another finished wi
*http://www.sterba-bike.cz/fotka/4579...msfoto?lang=EN

Depends on the technique. You assume "finishing" at the hub. That is
not the case in building a wheel (most wheels) today today and need
not have been then.
If the hub were done first the wires could even have been oriented
perpendicular to the hub flange while being wrapped, before being
rotated to stretch to the rim. But even without that possible benefit,
_loose_ wires would not necessarily create the confined working space
you hypothesize.

I'm not saying it was easy, but we need not assume unnecessary
difficulty.

In any case achieving, proper spoke length involved little more than
some post-assembly wire clippers.

Old November 9th 11, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On Nov 8, 5:43*pm, wrote:
[...]

Feel free to test your theory ~70 times at a hub and another ~70 times
at the 50+ inch rim, trying to achieve some actual tension.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 9th 11, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

*http://www.sterba-bike.cz/fotka/4578...to?lang=ENhttp......

[...]

If the screwed eye was a macine screw it would be easy to adjust the
spoke length using a back-nut. I expect that they are wood screws.
The rim could be compressed by a clamp in the area of the spokes being
fitted although it is not actually essential as the spokes may be
tensioned as they are drawn throughthe eyes. I believe this was not
of original manufacture for it seems that whoever assembled this wheel
did it with the same negative approach as Carl.
Old November 10th 11, 01:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour[_2_]

On Nov 8, 7:43*pm, wrote:

What has been seen cannot be unseen:
*http://www.sterba-bike.cz/fotka/4579...msfoto?lang=EN

http://www.sterba-bike.cz/media/foto...b368f9dd22ca90...

Think of the fuss and time involved!

I like the replacement spoke(s). Looks like they missed some
soldering and didn't think they needed the matching number of turns to
the wire.