MORE HEBEVILLE NEWS

Old November 8th 11, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour[_2_]

Default MORE HEBEVILLE NEWS

On Nov 8, 7:40Â*am, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2011, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 7, 7:50Â*pm, John B. wrote:

But do people leap up and down and holler and shout when the hear the
word "Chinatown". As far as I know they don't or at least I have seen
the signs in Bangkok, Singapore and San Francisco and I don't hear
anyone screaming and throwing tantrums in those cities when they hear
the word. The former two at least, having a far greater percentage of
Chinese in their population then Â*New York.

This is your supporting argument? Â*Sheesh. Â*China is the name of the
country, not a slang slur. Â*If those areas _had_ a derogatory name
like chinktown, you can be damn sure it would have been changed a long
time ago.

I'm not sure which I object to more, someone blithely insulting
people, or someone coming up with lame justifications for same.

And, of course "hebe" is a derogatory term.... although the name was
in use long before New York existed? And that I can find two
references to a "hebeville", one in France and one in Canada?

Apparently to be politically correct one is required to avoid words
that originated with obviously ignorant and unlettered louts although
historically the term may have been a term or description used to
describe a young woman.

Or perhaps the problem is that you weren't aware of the origins of the
word and only knew the vulgar use?

Please clear something up for me - are you trying to be stupid/funny?
If so, it's not working.

As the OP used the word in a context referring to the Jews in NY, he
wasn't referring to botany, mythology or anything else. Here's the
pertinent definition you so conveniently omitted.

Hebe   [heeb]
noun Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
a Jew.
Origin:
1930–35; shortening of Hebrew

The fundamental orifice was in existence long before people started
using the word asshole. It's the context, ya twit. The OP - because
he's self-proclaimed "cool" - used a derogatory word to refer to the
area where that word would be most offensive.

That ain't cool and it is an asshole move.

Here's another one for you, since you're such a master of historical
derivations. Go paint a swastika on a building, nice and large, and
under it write the word "India". When the judge releases you, or you
get out of the medical center, come back and tell us all about how
people are historically ignorant of the long and illustrious history
of the swastika as a good luck motif in India.

Times change. Because you "know" some history (which you obviously
had to go look up in defense of your position) doesn't give you an
excuse to ignore current conditions.

Never insult someone unintentionally. It shows a lack of
intelligence.

Old November 8th 11, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour[_2_]

On Nov 7, 11:23*am, kolldata wrote:

let's see. I used the subjet line for 2-3 years ? there's a search box
use it. The concept is un tediouys and anti anti semetic. From that
arises this discussion, which I find characteristically and
nuerologically, , tedious.

Oh, you're asking for the "we always did it this way" hall pass, huh?
Sorry, fresh out. Regardless of what happened back then, and in that
particular context, in this context I'm telling you you are being a
puckered sphincter.

Far from anti semtic unless you are anti semtic, Hebeville is so cool
it should come with music.. A fanfare.

Dude, you've never been on the cool side of anything, so who are you
kidding? Cool is a passing fad anyway. If James Dean were alive,
he'd be a cliche, and you're not James Dean. So just stick with being
the mildly amusing geeky dude that has issues with putting words down
coherently, and let it go.

here at ground level in the exotic GREAT NORTH WEST, where I am
asshole deep in Jews and dysfunctional personalities of all types,

Very telling that you lump together Jews and dysfunctional
personalities.

I was attacked shortly after this discussion appeared. Second time that
happened. There are other factors, all interpreted from a
dysfunctional narrow minded out of the mainstream culture.

Oh, so the "broad-minded" thoughts coming out of your single mind
outweigh all of the other people's "narrow-minded" thoughts. Right -
should have been obvious.

I read the Times at breakfast when the clods there aren't insulting
me, plan continuing with the subject line.

I would expect no more from such a "broad-minded" personality.

You're free to act like an idjit, and dangnabbit! you're going to
continue to be an idjit.

Go you.

Old November 9th 11, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

rOn Tue, 08 Nov 2011 07:30:27 -0500, Duane Hebert
wrote:

On 11/8/2011 7:10 AM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 20:26:43 -0500, Duane
wrote:

On 11/7/2011 7:43 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 07:24:24 -0500, Duane
wrote:

On 11/7/2011 7:20 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 19:53:54 -0800 (PST), Tom
wrote:

I grew up in the NY metro area, 'hebe' was widely, clearly
understood to be a slur word, it remains acknowledged to
be so today, to use it is crude, and using it over the net like
this rather than saying it in someone's presence is cowardly
while being crude.

Even if this was beaten to death last time, I for one don't
care to let this instance pass without comment.

Tom Ace
Interesting. Because the word hebe was used as a racial slur, by the
obviously uneducated, during your youth the word should never be
used?

Despite it's history for 1500, or so, years as a perfectly proper
name.

Hebe ~ noun

1. (Greek mythology) the goddess of youth and spring; wife of
Hercules; daughter of Zeus and Hera; cupbearer to the Olympian gods

bigot

1. a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing
from his own

Right. I'm sure the intent was "cup bearer to the Olympian gods" ville...
Nope. I'm pointing out that self definition of a word and a demand
that word should not be used at all is bigotry.

For example: Mr. Charley? Oreo? Whitebread? All can be used as
derogatory terms. Are we also to avoid there words?

Why don't you go down to New Orlean's lower ninth ward and ask there.

Your analogy is a stretch at best.

Referring to the city of New York as a Jewish city is ignorant enough.
Referring to it in that way using a racial slur is racist.

Lets see. The name Hebe (pronounced Hee-Bee) was the name of a minor
Greek goddess and as an eponym for youth and beauty for some 2,000
years.

Statues were made. In the U.S. Tarentum, Pennsylvania, US displays two
such statues of Hebe.In Vicksburg, Mississippi, the Bloom Fountain
installed in 1927 near the municipal rose garden, At Bowling Green,
Kentucky, the Hebe fountain in Fountain Square follows Canova's model,
and dates to 1881. Similar Hebe fountains, probably also from Mott,
are located in Court Square, Memphis, Tennessee and in Montgomery,
Alabama, and one of bronze was formerly the Starkweather Fountain in
Ypsilanti, Michigan, installed in 1889. There is also is a bronze
statue of Hebe, by Robert Thomas, in Birmingham city centre, England.
And Antonio Canova sculpted four different statues of Hebe: one of
them is in the Museum of Forle, Italy.

It is also listed as a girl's name although somewhat out of current
fashion and there is a Chinese actress and singer Hebe Tien.

A French lady Anne-Henriette Catherine TOUSTAIN D'HEBEVILLE ca 1700
who married a Louis DE BECDELIÃ, listed in Liste des patronymes
contenus dans la base genealogique, and even a Hebe Villa in Hong
Kong. And a Hebeville N.S. is listed in a report covering places
visited by the Canadian Minister of Agriculture on April 15, 1908..

But because a number of obviously ignorant and unread louts, for want
of a better word, invented what they thought was a new word "hebe" as
a derisive term for Jews the rest of the world should be ashamed and
never, never, use the word?

No sir. You are a bigot and not only a bigot but an arrogant one as
you seem to believe that your local term somehow has a meaning that is
accepted by the rest of the world. And even worse you stoop to
complaints to someone who uses the word hebeville not knowing, or
obviously not taking the trouble to find out, that there are at least
two places on this world that were named "Hebeville" long before the
word hebe was used in New York City.

So if ANY word can be used in a sentence that has a completely different
meaning than that intended, it is acceptable in EVERY usage? So we
disregard the intent of the original statement?

You can call me a bigot all that you wish. Another attempt to show that
you somehow understand the English language better than I do. I prefer
the Webster definition of bigot:

*:* a person who is obstinately obstinate or intolerantly devoted to
his or her own opinions and prejudices; /especially/ *:* one who regards
or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with
hatred and intolerance

I see. My Oxford Dictionary, 7th edition, reads "one who holds
obstinately to a belief or opinion intolerantly of others" however if
you feel it necessary to add the words concerning racial slurs, please
feel free to do so. But perhaps you feel it better if the world would
ignore the preceding description and perhaps limit the meaning solely
to the latter, "one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a
racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance".

Read the "especially" part. Couching your complaint in some pseudo
intellectual posture does nothing to obscure the fact that you are
arguing against your own straw man. You are the one that is arrogant
enough to think that you can define what does or does not denigrate an
entire race of people.

Pseudo? You mean that actually reading a little history is now
considered as "not genuine but having the appearance of" in your
society? Amazing. I can only assume that you feel YouTube is the
preferred source of education in this modern world.

But perhaps you do. After all you seem to ignore the perfectly benign
use of the word "Hebe" that has existed for several thousand years for
a new word that, as you seem to argue, was coined by a group of
ignorant and unlettered people in New York.

I wonder whether you really believe that? Or are you arguing simply
for the sake of argument?

I'm the one that says the word has been used for 2000 years to denote
youth, grace and beauty, while you are stating that it is a word
coined by some obviously ignorant people in New York as a derisive
word? And that means that I am the one defining what does/does not
denigrate an entire race of people.

And you do not see the idiocy in that statement?

Or perhaps you planning on a campaign to tear down all the statues of
Hebe that exist? Or will you rename then all to something else?
What is it the Marxists call that? Revisionism? Re-writing history to
fit a perceived reality?

There is a statue of Hebe in the Hernitage in St. Petersburg, in case
you wish to start your battle for truth and light there.

By the way, you seem to be forgetting the word "Hebeville" that I
noted appear at least two time in print - one as early as 1700. Must
we rename those places? Or perhaps edit the world's literature and
publications to remove any reference to the word that you, in your
tiny insular world, abhor.

--
John B.
Old November 9th 11, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Nov 7, 7:50*pm, John B. wrote:

But do people leap up and down and holler and shout when the hear the
word "Chinatown". As far as I know they don't or at least I have seen
the signs in Bangkok, Singapore and San Francisco and I don't hear
anyone screaming and throwing tantrums in those cities when they hear
the word. The former two at least, having a far greater percentage of
Chinese in their population then *New York.

This is your supporting argument? *Sheesh. *China is the name of the
country, not a slang slur. *If those areas _had_ a derogatory name
[...]

I see. and you really strained for that didn't you.

I just googled the word "Hebe" and found 23,400,000 references to the
name including the name of a minor god, a flowering plant, Hebe Tien,
an actress or singer, a housing development in Hong Kong, and a great
many others. To find your meaning I had to google for "hebe "racial
slur" which returned 115,000 references, or less then 1% of the total
hits.

I assume that proves that your definition of the word is the correct
one.

The fundamental orifice was in existence long before people started
using the word asshole. It's the context, ya twit. The OP - because
he's self-proclaimed "cool" - used a derogatory word to refer to the
area where that word would be most offensive.

That ain't cool and it is an asshole move.

Here's another one for you, since you're such a master of historical
derivations. Go paint a swastika on a building, nice and large, and
under it write the word "India". When the judge releases you, or you
get out of the medical center, come back and tell us all about how
people are historically ignorant of the long and illustrious history
of the swastika as a good luck motif in India.

I see. In fact I did just exactly as you stated, except I used a
marker. Not a soul noticed; walked right by, never said a thing.

So much for that argument.

By the way, are you language nazis also trying to eradicate the word
Hebe jeebes (309,000 google hits)? Or are your efforts aimed only at
Hebe ville (240,000 hits)?

Times change. Because you "know" some history (which you obviously
had to go look up in defense of your position) doesn't give you an
excuse to ignore current conditions.

Actually I did "know" and equally I did look it up to ensure that my
memory hadn't failed me.

Never insult someone unintentionally. It shows a lack of
intelligence.

Inintentionally? Hardly. Insulting? Perhaps, but only if you consider
being shown the fallacies of your own statement is insulting.

In closing let me say that google look-ups, including Hebe, Hebe
racial slur, hebe jeebers hebe ville, show a total of 24,064,000
hits, of which your "racial slur" category totaled some 0.4 of one
percent. Obviously definitive proof of the validity of your argument.

--
John B.
Old November 9th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

wrote:

[...]

You're welcome to any interpretation that you like. You are perfectly
free to call me a bigot because i am intolerant of racism.

Read the "especially" part. Couching your complaint in some pseudo
intellectual posture does nothing to obscure the fact that you are
arguing against your own straw man. You are the one that is arrogant
enough to think that you can define what does or does not denigrate an
entire race of people.

Pseudo? You mean that actually reading a little history is now
considered as "not genuine but having the appearance of" in your

What I mean by "pseudo" is that throwing out a little history to
obfuscate a point is not the same thing as understanding history.

society? Amazing. I can only assume that you feel YouTube is the
preferred source of education in this modern world.

So anyone disagreeing with you is ignorant. How convenient. You remind
me of someone else hanging around here.

But perhaps you do. After all you seem to ignore the perfectly benign
use of the word "Hebe" that has existed for several thousand years for
a new word that, as you seem to argue, was coined by a group of
ignorant and unlettered people in New York.

I wonder whether you really believe that? Or are you arguing simply
for the sake of argument?

I'm the one that says the word has been used for 2000 years to denote
youth, grace and beauty, while you are stating that it is a word

And I'm the one that says that in this case, it is being used as a
racial slur.

coined by some obviously ignorant people in New York as a derisive
word? And that means that I am the one defining what does/does not
denigrate an entire race of people.

Apparently.

And you do not see the idiocy in that statement?

Idiocy would be to argue on the value of a single word and not consider
the context in which it is used.
But my point was that it's not you who can decide that "hebeville" is
acceptable. It would be up to the people that it is denigrating.
I can tell you that most Jews that I know would think that it is not
acceptable.

Or perhaps you planning on a campaign to tear down all the statues of
Hebe that exist? Or will you rename then all to something else?
What is it the Marxists call that? Revisionism? Re-writing history to
fit a perceived reality?

Why bother to rewrite history when you can reinterpret it to mean
anything that you like?
There is a statue of Hebe in the Hernitage in St. Petersburg, in case
you wish to start your battle for truth and light there.

By the way, you seem to be forgetting the word "Hebeville" that I
noted appear at least two time in print - one as early as 1700. Must
we rename those places? Or perhaps edit the world's literature and
publications to remove any reference to the word that you, in your
tiny insular world, abhor.

Are you seriously saying that context has no bearing? I can find a harmless sentence with the words Dick and head in them but calling someone a dick head is still an insult. Catch my drift?

Old November 9th 11, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour[_2_]

wrote:

Please clear something up for me - are you trying to be stupid/funny?
If so, it's not working.

As the OP used the word in a context referring to the Jews in NY, he
wasn't referring to botany, mythology or anything else. *Here's the
pertinent definition you so conveniently omitted.

Hebe? ?[heeb]
noun Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
a Jew.
Origin:
1930–35; shortening of Hebrew

I see. and you really strained for that didn't you.

The only time I strain is when I'm pinching out a loaf of what you
consider research.

Your asshole buddy (that's not derogatory - at least as far as you
know, it's a term or closeness/endearment between two old chums) used
the word hebeville to refer to NY because of the Jewish population.
It is a derogatory term.

You're being a silly ****. That also is not derogatory - at least as
far as you know, since you don't know if I'm British or not. I'm not,
BTW, but if you'd like to take back the word hebe as a show of
solidarity with your Jewish brethren, that's fine. You just have a
stupid way of doing it. I'm sorry for accusing you of trying to be
funny.

Old November 9th 11, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour[_2_]

On Tue, 08 Nov 2011, Duane wrote:

Read the "especially" part. *Couching your complaint in some pseudo
intellectual posture does nothing to obscure the fact that you are
arguing against your own straw man. *You are the one that is arrogant
enough to think that you can define what does or does not denigrate an
entire race of people.

Pseudo? You mean that actually reading a little history is now
considered as *"not genuine but having the appearance of" in your

What I mean by "pseudo" is that throwing out a little history to
obfuscate a point is not the same thing as understanding history.

Cut the guy some slack, Duane. Obfuscation, lame straw men arguments
and random Google searches are his strong points. It's clear that he
believes that all Google hits have equal validity and that the
writer's intended context has no bearing - even after the writer has
subsequently clarified the context and made it clear that it had
nothing to do with those other seventeen bazillion Google hits.

In a way it's a super power - the ability to totally ignore the one
pertinent hit, the one that says disparaging and offensive term, and
maintaining his focus on the chaff. Maybe we should design him a
cycling jersey so people on group rides would see him coming. How
about "Idiot On Board"?

Old November 9th 11, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

I prefer the Chambers dictionary.

"bigot noun someone who is persistently prejudiced, especially about
religion or politics, and refuses to tolerate the opinions of others.
bigoted adj. bigotry noun (bigotries).
ETYMOLOGY: 16c, first meaning 'a superstitious hypocrite': French."

Brian said, "I'm not a roman mum, I'm a kike, a yid, a heebie, a
hook-nose, I'm kosher mum, I'm a Red Sea pedestrian, and proud of it!"

But I guess when you're talking about yourself, you can say what you like.

Could datakoll get away with "Red Sea pedestrian ville news" without
ruffling feathers I wonder?

--
JS.
Old November 9th 11, 11:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

wrote:

Please clear something up for me - are you trying to be stupid/funny?
If so, it's not working.

As the OP used the word in a context referring to the Jews in NY, he
wasn't referring to botany, mythology or anything else. *Here's the
pertinent definition you so conveniently omitted.

Hebe? ?[heeb]
noun Slang: Disparaging and Offensive.
a Jew.
Origin:
1930–35; shortening of Hebrew

I see. and you really strained for that didn't you.

The only time I strain is when I'm pinching out a loaf of what you
consider research.

Your asshole buddy (that's not derogatory - at least as far as you
know, it's a term or closeness/endearment between two old chums) used
the word hebeville to refer to NY because of the Jewish population.
It is a derogatory term.

What "buddy" If you are referring to Frank I don't even live in the
same country as he does.

But re; hebeville. I've already told you that I have seen references
to at least two other towns named Hebeville. What are we to do about
these? Burn them down?

You're being a silly ****. That also is not derogatory - at least as
far as you know, since you don't know if I'm British or not. I'm not,
BTW, but if you'd like to take back the word hebe as a show of
solidarity with your Jewish brethren, that's fine. You just have a
stupid way of doing it. I'm sorry for accusing you of trying to be
funny.

Solidarity with my brother? You are being silly. Next will be our
solidarity with our brother Iraqis, Vietnamese, Afgans and all the
other people we drop bombs on. Strange people you blokes. Drop bombs
on 'em. rocket them, blow their airliners out of the air, destroy
their society, rip their country apart and then creep quietly away and
profess brotherly love.

Does hypocrite sound like a word?

I find it strange that you so protest so loudly the very name "Hebe"
while I've not heard a single Jewish complaint of the word as it was
and is used all round the world, except apparently in your little
niche. Or have there been mass protests at the Hermatige in St.
Petersburg? Or at any of the other multitude of places where Hebe
statues have existed for years. Has there been a Jewish protest at the
Hebe Hair Salon in London? Or perhaps a movement has been started to
rename the Hebe flowering shrub of New Zealand? Hebe Tien booed at her
concerts? Gee, you'd thought that it would be in the papers, wouldn't
you?

None of the above has happened of course. What is happening is that a
few ignorant and bigoted people are trying to force their beliefs on
the rest of humanity. You consider the name Hebe as derogative and
although most of the world, outside your tiny corner, doesn't agree,
you intend on imposing your preconceived notions on others.

You sound amazingly like the people who conceived the final solution.

If that is not Bigotry, please tell me what it is.

--
John B.
Old November 9th 11, 11:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert

On 11/8/2011 11:04 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 8, 9:29 pm, Duane wrote:
[...]

Maybe. Maybe he'll take my advice and go down to the lower ninth and
tell them about how Mr. Charley is not derogatory.