Hand built wheels

Old July 20th 04, 04:08 AM
ritcho

Default Hand built wheels

byron27 Wrote:
nice work!
i am inspired!
I am currently running 540's on my banger and am far from happy but the
lure of wheels built to my own specs is tantalising.
so...where do i get a cheap trueing jig from??

You don't need one if you have a rim trainer... Even without a trainer,
put the rear wheel in situ and use the brake blocks as your guide. All
you need is something to hold the bike up off the ground so that it's
easier to spin the wheel around.

Ritch.

--
ritcho
Old July 20th 04, 04:10 AM
byron27

ritcho Wrote:
You don't need one if you have a rim trainer... Even without a trainer,
put the rear wheel in situ and use the brake blocks as your guide. All
you need is something to hold the bike up off the ground so that it's
easier to spin the wheel around.

Ritch.

true...i guess when im riding the steppes of mongolia all i will have
will be my bike.

--
byron27

Old July 20th 04, 06:23 AM
flyingdutch

byron27 Wrote:
true...i guess when im riding the steppes of mongolia all i will have
will be my bike.

youre riding the steppes of mongolia in the near future?

did you see that (crap) docco a few years back?

--
flyingdutch

Old July 20th 04, 06:27 AM
byron27

flyingdutch Wrote:
youre riding the steppes of mongolia in the near future?

did you see that (crap) docco a few years back?

in the foreseeable future..no, BUT i will do it sometime before im
soliciting widows in the old aged home.

--
byron27

Old July 20th 04, 11:07 PM
Random Data

ritcho wrote

You don't need one if you have a rim trainer... Even without a trainer,
put the rear wheel in situ and use the brake blocks as your guide.

* Turn the bike upside down (or put it in a stand. I like upside down)
* Zip tie a clothes peg to each seat stay (or chain stay, whichever is
easier)
* put a pencil or allen key in the peg.

This lets you true laterally and vertically.

For getting the dish right, pull the wheel out and flip it over. It
should have the same spacing as it did before you flipped it.

You may find removing the derailleur makes it easier, and disc
calipers can make it a big tricky to flip the wheel around. I've
replaced a few rims this way (I haven't built a new wheel for ages).

Dave - who should try to salvage some of the various wheel bits I've
got.
--
Dave Hughes |
Flagrant system error! The system is down. I dunno what you did,
Old July 21st 04, 01:10 AM
mfhor

Random Data Wrote:
ritcho wrote

[...]

Just bend a bit of 40 x 5 mm steel strap into a U shape in a big vice,
drill and file some slots for front & back wheels. Make the feelers as
elaborate as you want. Dial gauges are perhaps a bit over the top . . .
The Minoura home mech. truing stand is a good example to copy.

What about a jumbo size clothes peg on your chainstay, which can be
moved to check for hop and wobble?

M"I've never built a wheel I don't like, well, maybe twice" H

--
mfhor
Old July 22nd 04, 09:38 PM
kingsley

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:23:05 +1000, flyingdutch wrote:

youre riding the steppes of mongolia in the near future?

did you see that (crap) docco a few years back?

The one where the two guys started in Russia ?

Were they on recumbents? I remember one of the bikes
snapped in half, and was re-welded.

They also seemed to have a domestic mid-way, and split up
for a bit.

-kt

Aerospoke wheels guy Techniques 2 August 3rd 04 03:20 AM
wheels Tom Reingold Techniques 43 June 11th 04 05:37 AM
Race wheels for larger rider? Boyd Speerschneider Techniques 15 June 1st 04 02:13 PM
Opinions on a good MTB please Brenton Spear Australia 29 November 25th 03 05:46 PM