4wd's not even pretending not to be for soccer mums anymore

Old November 6th 05, 10:36 PM
PiledHigher

Default 4wd's not even pretending not to be for soccer mums anymore

Anyone else seen the ad for a 4wd where they show a row of mums,
dropping kids off at school in there 4wds all with bull bars associated
with lots of truck noises.

Then voice over, does it feel like you are a truck driver, then a spiel
about don't buy their truck, buy ours!!!

--
PiledHigher

Old November 6th 05, 10:47 PM
cfsmtb

PiledHigher Wrote:
Anyone else seen the ad for a 4wd where they show a row of mums,
dropping kids off at school in there 4wds all with bull bars associated
with lots of truck noises.

Then voice over, does it feel like you are a truck driver, then a spiel
about don't buy their truck, buy ours!!!

An interesting counterpoint to that, in the US, people are turning away
from purchasing SUV's not on economic or environmental grounds, but
because they drive like a truck.

--
cfsmtb

Old November 6th 05, 11:05 PM
cfsmtb

Some light reading for your perusal - Hummer Overfloweth
http://tinyurl.com/d7pzz

--
cfsmtb

Old November 6th 05, 11:27 PM
Donga

You mean, the dumb got smart? If only!!

Old November 6th 05, 11:31 PM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-11-06, cfsmtb wrote:

Some light reading for your perusal - Hummer Overfloweth
http://tinyurl.com/d7pzz

Also the old faithful, which I'm sure lots of the readers here have
already seen:
http://www.gladwell.com/2004/2004_01_12_a_suv.html

Old November 7th 05, 12:08 AM
PiledHigher

It may remove the last scrap of masculine cache from 4wd's, we have
already seen how angry and sm,all minded 4wd owners a
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=64616

Maybe they will make the V8 supercars drive around with a couple of
babyseats in the back!

--
PiledHigher

Old November 7th 05, 12:34 AM
Bleve

PiledHigher wrote:
It may remove the last scrap of masculine cache from 4wd's, we have
already seen how angry and sm,all minded 4wd owners a
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=64616

The overweight stat is interesting in what it leaves out. What's the
overweight percentage in the general population?

Lies, damn lies, and statistics ...

Old November 7th 05, 01:38 AM
Sir Lex

PiledHigher wrote:
Anyone else seen the ad for a 4wd where they show a row of mums,
dropping kids off at school in there 4wds all with bull bars associated
with lots of truck noises.

Then voice over, does it feel like you are a truck driver, then a spiel
about don't buy their truck, buy ours!!!

I saw that. Ford Territory wasn't it? I thought it was very brave,
tottering on the edge of stupidity, for Ford to use a negative
stereotype to advertise their vehicles.

Then I thought, it's bound to appeal to the type of people who would buy
a 4wd for all the wrong reasons in the first place. Excellent marketing
to boost sales to the rich noobs of society, but clearly not much PR
thought went into the ad.
Old November 7th 05, 01:46 AM
Theo Bekkers

cfsmtb wrote:

An interesting counterpoint to that, in the US, people are turning
away from purchasing SUV's not on economic or environmental grounds,
but because they drive like a truck.

Yeah, but they sell a Mack SUV, based on a Mack prime mover. Of course it
drives like a truck.

Theo

Old November 7th 05, 02:17 AM
gumby

Sir Lex opined :
"but clearly not much PR thought went into the ad"

Actually I would say that "quite a lot" of PR thought went into it.
Steven