Serious Tire Questions for the uninitiated

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 6th 21, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Serious Tire Questions for the uninitiated

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 11:42:50 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op dinsdag 6 april 2021 om 18:16:54 UTC+2 schreef :
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 9:05:18 AM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
I notice that the Conti GP 5000 I have and even the old GP II 4's, have a direction of rotation on the sidewall. Now mind you I so far have put the tires with the proper rotational direction, but what happens if you don't. My guess is if you put them on the opposite way then does the bike go backwards when I start pedaling? Do the tires wear out different, or possible be off balance. But seriously what is the catch?
Deacon Mark

Supposedly they are not supposed to have the same braking traction in the reverse direction.

My complaints with them is that they wear so quickly. They DO have great traction but I don't think that it is any better than the Michelin Pro4. I have also used the Michelin Power Endurance and they work well too. But the Pro4's have a more reasonable price and don't wear so quickly.

Another datapoint. I recently replaced the rear Continental GP5000 tire (32 mm version) after the first flat after 5500 km. Best allround tire IMO. I must admit that I seldom pay attention to the mounting direction mainly because I'm too lazy to look for the hard to see arrow in bad light conditions in my garage.

Well, My 28 mm tires take forever to wear out. So I don't think it would be unusual for a 32 to wear forever. The Conti's that I was using for centuries were 25 mm and they lasted about two months per pair. That would be about 1,500 miles That's about 2,500 KM but other tires wear a great deal longer and so i often don't inspect the tires until I start getting flats.

Tire-making: questions and answers, but mostly questions DougC Techniques 6 November 9th 15 06:13 AM
Tire Questions... Riles Unicycling 3 January 11th 08 12:37 PM
tire compression questions. gordito8me Unicycling 9 November 12th 06 01:08 AM
Tire width questions JBAFromNY Techniques 9 August 21st 06 10:09 PM
Partial flat tire questions ... unisteve Unicycling 0 April 18th 06 06:24 PM