Douglas bikes from Colorado Cyclist

Old November 26th 03, 06:56 AM
BBear505

Default Douglas bikes from Colorado Cyclist

I'd like to get some riding, handling, quality impressions on this bike. I've
done some searches on this bike and could only come up with questions regarding
whether it is really a litespeed, or made in taiwan or mexico etc. I don't
really care...I just want to know how this bike rides! It has a 5 year
warranty on frame and fork. Should I look down at this, since litespeed and
merlins etc, have lifetime warranty?

thanks,
Ernie
Old November 26th 03, 02:02 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

bbear- I'd like to get some riding, handling, quality impressions on this
bike. I've
done some searches on this bike and could only come up with questions regarding
whether it is really a litespeed, or made in taiwan or mexico etc. I don't
really care...I just want to know how this bike rides! It has a 5 year
warranty on frame and fork. BRBR

For a better deal, I would look at Habanero but we have serviced a few of these
and what we see is poor build quality of the bike(not the frameset) and be
skeptical of the fit 'formula' CC uses, otherwise a decent enough frameset.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 26th 03, 07:59 PM
Paul Southworth

I had one of those (Sandvik) in a 58cm and found it was such a
complete noodle I could make the front derailleur rub in almost any
gear by just standing up (I am about 170 pounds). I hope they aren't
all like that, it was not unlike the 61cm Alan I had years ago.

--Paul

In article ,
triker biker wrote:
Ernie
I believe that the douglas may be the same bike as
http://titaniumsports.com/road.html I have one of these bikes, It is
made in the USA and it is welded perfectly, a great riding bike.
Dave

Old November 27th 03, 03:33 AM
psycholist

"BBear505" wrote in message

I'd like to get some riding, handling, quality impressions on this bike.

I've
done some searches on this bike and could only come up with questions

regarding
whether it is really a litespeed, or made in taiwan or mexico etc. I

don't
really care...I just want to know how this bike rides! It has a 5 year
warranty on frame and fork. Should I look down at this, since litespeed

and
merlins etc, have lifetime warranty?

thanks,
Ernie

I ride pretty regularly with a strong, "expert" mtb guy. He bought a
Douglas for road training and so far, he loves it. He's had it a few
months. He's a very powerful, stocky rider and we have lots of short,
"hammer the daylights out of 'em" hills around here. I've never heard any
chain rub from his bike, nor have I heard him complain that it's a noodle or
anything.

One lead on the manufacture location might be the dropouts. I have a new K2
Mod 5 (which I absolutely love) and we noticed that the dropouts on our two
bikes are precisely identical. The K2 frame arrived in a box with Made in
Taiwan stamped quite prominently on it.

FWIW,
Bob C.

Old November 27th 03, 05:42 AM
Kovie

I believe you're right. I did some research into Ti bikes and frames
recently and it appeared that Douglas all-Ti bikes are build on TISports
frames.

Incidentally, I ended up going with a Habanero, which someone else
recommended in this thread. Reason being that one, Mark Hickey, founder and
owner of Habanero, is an unbelievably friendly, helpful and
bike-knowledgable guy who answered every question I had about Ti frames and
building up bikes, before, during and after I purchased my frame, in great
detail, and made building up my bike a LOT easier than it would have been
otherwise. Two, I've read many more positive comments about Habanero frames
on the net than about Douglas bikes or TIS frames. Not that I've read any
negative comments about any of these, just that there's a lot more on
Habanero, nearly (if not all) positive in my recollection. And three, TIS
never responded to my brief email asking for more info on their frames. To
CC's credit, through, they were quite helpful when I had some questions
about a wheelset I bought from them recently. Habanero also sells built up
bikes in addition to bare frames, with a lot more flexibility in components
than Douglas.

--
Kovie
zen

om...

Old November 27th 03, 09:46 PM
bfd

Is that the same Taiwanese factory that make alot of the *italian* brand
alumiminum or alum/carbon rear stay frames sold by Viner, Casati, Masi,
Cinelli, DeRosa, Olmo, and supposedly Colnago? Oh yeah, don't forgot the
aluminum Taiwanese made Litespeeds....

Old November 28th 03, 03:10 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

bfd- Is that the same Taiwanese factory that make alot of the *italian* brand
alumiminum or alum/carbon rear stay frames sold by Viner, Casati, Masi,
Cinelli, DeRosa, Olmo, and supposedly Colnago? BRBR

Derosa and Colnago-'supposedly' is right. Not a fan of aliuminum but I am
pretty sure these two are not made in Asia...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302